EA Forums - Banner

Designing A Forest

Prev1
Randomly. It looked too unnatural when I tried using some kind of pattern.

Replies

• izabellatrix
    1612 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    Random(ish). I always start with the $100 Trees and the $450 (pine) Trees, since they're the same colour, then I fill in the rest. I don't like when two trees of the same colour touch.
    Joined: May 2014 • Level: 563 • Favourite Characters: Lisa & Ralph
  • izabellatrix
    1612 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    jen0912 wrote:
    Randomly. It looked too unnatural when I tried using some kind of pattern.

Agreed. A lot of my buildings and houses have tree patterns, but I feel like they would since they were planned. But not in a forest.
  • 4junk3000
    6033 posts Member
    edited April 2015

In my area (SE USA) trees are completely mixed and random, so that's what I did in my SF. I'll turn every tree the other way as I place them, and scatter every type and color until the space is maxed out. Go for coverage, not density, to conserve total feature count. ( I just got the >4800 warning yesterday)

But, in my KL I wanted areas to be uniquely landscaped to support localized themes.

The front of my park has all palm trees for a more tropical feeling. Placed not randomly, but for the best look of balance in canopy to shade the paths.

The back of my park has all pine trees placed randomly but with overall patterns of growth trying to define hills and paths, for a more alpine feeling.

Trees placed cookie cutter identical can look artificial. I avoid it.
    All my designs look unfinished because i can't place as many plants, streetlights, and fences as i would like. PLEASE REMOVE THE LIMIT, EA!
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    Basically, it depends on what look I'm going for. For a natural-looking forest, I just go with random trees. I don't actively avoid a tree touching another of the same type - that would happen too. I don't bunch them up too closely, either. Mostly it's all about experimenting and playing around until you find a look that you like.

Now, in cultivated areas, I tend to take a different approach. Obvious patterns and using a bunch of the same tree types.
  • Upper90Ninja
    115 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    Random(ish). I always start with the $100 Trees and the $450 (pine) Trees, since they're the same colour, then I fill in the rest. I don't like when two trees of the same colour touch.
    I have the same disliking, though never tried this method when placing them. Ill be sure to try this one
  • doh1236
    45 posts
    edited April 2015
    In one of my forested areas I put a lamppost and a reindeer (stag) in it. I have the trees closer the further you go into the woods where the lamppost is.
  • izabellatrix
    1612 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    doh1236 wrote:
    In one of my forested areas I put a lamppost and a reindeer (stag) in it. I have the trees closer the further you go into the woods where the lamppost is.
    That's amazing!
  • mikeydluffy
    2014 posts
    edited April 2015
    My forest consists of at least 500 fir trees densely/randomly packed together with various buildings / structures inter spaced throughout. Definitely my favorite corner of the map which was my motivation for nuking.
  • jaztee123
    431 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    I have a mini forest area and I plant the trees randomly Inbetween my buildings (kamp krusty, volcano, ski lift etc).
  • miraclemet
    422 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    I have two forest areas.

There is a dense forest between my District 1 (the rich) and my District 2 (working class) that the rich use as a buffer to keep distance from the working stiffs. Dense trees and shrubs so they dont have to cast their eyes on the poor stiffs. I use all tree types and mix in various shrubbery and a small amount of wildflower patches.

My district 3 is for my poor, Appalachian country folk who are left to tend crops. There I again use a mix of trees, less dense, but no shrubs or pretty flowers, but there is a mix of trash that I've left scattered about too.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    I have a couple of forest type area in my town, i mainly use the same trees tho (ones that cost $675)

I do have neighbour that has combined loads of different trees together for a huge forest area and it looks awesome tbf, i'll try an up load a pic in a min :)
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    Here is my neighbours forest area

jJtz8CXl.png
  • tappedout1996
    3045 posts
    edited April 2015
    NeoSEC28 wrote:

jJtz8CXl.png
    I'm liking that alot.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    NeoSEC28 wrote:

jJtz8CXl.png
    I'm liking that alot.

He used to have a lot more in the surrounding areas but has taken a lot of them down, whether the game was lagging for him or he needed the space not sure :? Does look awesome tho :)

I know it took him a long time when he last posted on the forum, worth the time :thumbup:
  • mikeydluffy
    2014 posts
    edited April 2015
    That is indeed a great forest!
  • HappyGamer73
    2407 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    doh1236 wrote:

Just need the Wardrobe for your Narnia entrance!
  • EvaMohlin
    541 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    I dont mix pines with leaf-trees (don't know the english word for that). Usually I put a pond in, and som small shrubs as "ferns".
  • rocketdog222
    78 posts
    edited April 2015
    I like to use random tree patterns with small shrubs and bushes, you can use shrubs to shape a more rural pathway. In my main town the forest hides the stonecutters secret pathway, and of course is the only safe place the fireworks guy can live, considering his first house is still smoking in the back.
    1KyHe7ql.jpg
  • orionsbell
    478 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    I like to radomize in Springfield. In Krustyland, I'll do rows of the same since it's supossedly landscaped, but in the empty sections I do randomized evergreens which follow the look of Disneyland's map guides.

But I don't like to mix evergreen with decidious. But when transitioning between evergreen and decidious I'll use matching colors.

My big problem is that in Springfield, I;ve basically had to clear cut my treed areas since EA seems to refuse to give us the proper amout of land to do well-thought-out designs.
    BTW: My Springfield circa Winter 2014: orionsbell.com/simpsons/Winter2014.png
  • chrisgyo
    1030 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    random, and only pine trees like a real forest
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.