EA Forums - Banner

Adhoc Springfield

Prev1
When I reached level 24 I stored everything except Lemon Tree and Simpsons House.

I never had any structure. Just building next to building and one street. Looked horrid, but I let it go for so long because I knew it would be such a huge job to make into a proper town.

Ended up spending many many many hours storing and rebuilding from scratch. It's such a nice thing to do.So I'd pick:

3. Store everything and rebuild Springfield.

Replies

• stuartcurran
    309 posts
    edited December 2012
    I usually redesigned certain parts of my Springfield as I went along so I had bits that I had only done up recently and bits that hadn't been done up in ages that I didn't like the look of anymore. I said I was gonna redesign when the snow goes but seeing as that could be a while yet I'm just going to redesign after the next update, which will give me time to finish getting the strip of land I'm currently buying. Then, I'll do it in sections, because as I said, I have sections that I've only recently done up and really like. I might move them to different parts of my Springfield but I'll still keep the same structure, so basically I'm going to do it in sections. Anything that I'm not happy with at the moment will either go into storage or shoved into a corner.
  • christiemich
    621 posts
    edited December 2012
    Did it crash much when you stored every thing? I got about half way a month ago and had to pull it all back out as it dropped the game ever time I moved around the ground. Mind you I have hundreds of most tree, fence etc...
  • marlenet88
    136 posts
    edited December 2012
    It would crash maybe every 5th item I stored towards the end. And then every time I placed more than one of something (such as trees, fences, lights, signs...) it would always crash. But wouldload back with maybe 50% of what I placed. So it did take an age. But I found the experience kind of fun.

Annoyingly, I put the Bad Dream House at the top left. Then after finishing the town I bought the SPRINGFIELD sign.

That reallly annoyed me and I didn't get around to killing that area so I can put the sign there.
  • Zombies8MyDingo
    209 posts
    edited December 2012
    I tend to start with one large area, store items from it so it's empty and work from there. So I'd choose 2.
  • RSommons
    785 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    Tapped Out isn't about building Springfield. It's about REbuilding it. And RE-rebuilding it. Just when you have it set the way you like...along comes an update with 3 or 4 more buildings. You can't plan for that.

I consider rearranging as much a part of game play as completing tasks, visiting neighbors, and building the new structures.

So crack those knuckles and get tapping.
  • MaggieLisa33
    101 posts
    edited December 2012
    I'm sort of in the same boat and based on what I've read on the forums, I think a lot of people are as well. Part of my Springfield is just the way I want it, but the rest is a mess. I think the option of doing a section at a time is what I am going to try when the snow melts. I, too, am afraid of it getting crashy if I put too much in storage.

If you have any unused land (or could buy some), you could just throw a bunch of stuff on it to "store" to give you some room to move things around.
  • Double_Density
    60 posts
    edited December 2012
    I've got enough land now that for my next redesign, I'm just going to slide everything to the far right. Then I can build it back from the left. Kind of like the last couple of decades.
  • childeharr
    235 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    And just when you think you've got everything settled, you buy some new land... Then it starts all over again.

Childeharr
  • morganbaby1016
    241 posts
    edited December 2012
    I told myself I was going to wait until it was green again to redesign my town but folded and did it while there was still snow.

I put every decoration in storage and left out all buildings and houses. I placed my houses in general positions and buildings sort of where I wanted them. I then stared to put roads down. The roads are on a specific grid so I had to tweak where my buildings were to math up to the roads. I was able to place buildings next to alike kind and keep "areas" together. I found it really easy. I didn't have any crashes until I started to decorate and was placing 20 fences at a time and the xp was all over and it would crash but I would exit the build menus after every 5-10 items and it stopped crashing. I found it really quick and painless to redesign. It took less than a day to do.

Good luck, whichever way you chose it will take a while to get it how you like and then they will add more levels with new buildings and you will have to start all over again :)
  • christiemich
    621 posts
    edited December 2012
    Cheers guys! Might do a bit of both, store some, put some in a corner....etc

Got a little strip of land to buy in the mean time... Got a plan fr highway between 2 areas and a forest track up the river to the hillbilly territory.
  • Pylios
    37 posts
    edited December 2012
    RSommons wrote:
    Tapped Out isn't about building Springfield. It's about REbuilding it. And RE-rebuilding it. Just when you have it set the way you like...along comes an update with 3 or 4 more buildings. You can't plan for that.

I consider rearranging as much a part of game play as completing tasks, visiting neighbors, and building the new structures.

So crack those knuckles and get tapping.

This is so true. Well said.

I've just recently redesigned my Springfield and for that I had moved all buildings into one section of my town, to arrange the roads, rivers and decorations. Once I have a few more land grids I will redesign again... And again :P
  • jaffaface
    903 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    I usually redesigned certain parts of my Springfield as I went along so I had bits that I had only done up recently and bits that hadn't been done up in ages that I didn't like the look of anymore. I said I was gonna redesign when the snow goes but seeing as that could be a while yet I'm just going to redesign after the next update, which will give me time to finish getting the strip of land I'm currently buying. Then, I'll do it in sections, because as I said, I have sections that I've only recently done up and really like. I might move them to different parts of my Springfield but I'll still keep the same structure, so basically I'm going to do it in sections. Anything that I'm not happy with at the moment will either go into storage or shoved into a corner.

Whenever I read anything you have written it, I automatically read it in the voice of a chinese-american, I have absolotely no idea why, but I know it's my subconscious doing it because of your avatar lol
  • Doh_Inc
    242 posts
    edited December 2012
    I just redesigned the parts of my town I didn't like today. That's basically what I do as I go. As I get new buildings and land, I redesign sections to make the town more cohesive and flowy.
  • jaffaface
    903 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    I think the thing I miss the most about the old update, was decorating my Springfield. I'm always working on it, moving things around, at the moment my town is all over the place, but I haven't been able to decorate because I don't know how anything will look. Once the update is over I'll start again, I'm also going to be investing heavily in some more land, as I now know how I want everything to be. My head is packed with ideas and I need to release them.

That's one thing that nails this game for me, it's designing your town and looking back on it and being able to appreciate it. No other game has that core concept.....but still, I would still love to have an actual pool, a water fountain, a stadium or gym and a 360 degree view of buildings.
  • ThomasK323
    548 posts
    edited December 2012
    Taking things out of storage is so much easier than building new items since you don't have the XP's floating around to deal with.

I definitely say put everything in storage first.

And how much do you have? I've had hundreds of hedges and fences in my storage at once with no issues at all.
  • christiemich
    621 posts
    edited December 2012
    ThomasK323 wrote:
    Taking things out of storage is so much easier than building new items since you don't have the XP's floating around to deal with.

I definitely say put everything in storage first.

And how much do you have? I've had hundreds of hedges and fences in my storage at once with no issues at all.

No idea but its got to be hundreds of items... Per item.

The only thing I miss is having a curve in the road but hay!
  • christiemich
    621 posts
    edited December 2012
    And so it begins .......
  • rlarcia
    45 posts
    edited December 2012
    I think I'm just gonna wait until the green comes back cuz whatever you put on right now it's not look good at all later on specially the trees, and I have everything but the Simpsons house and the lemon tree in the storage and haven't had any problems yet. I already purchased all the land, characters and buildings so I can't wait for the snow to melt, kinda got tired of the Xmas update already.
  • christiemich
    621 posts
    edited December 2012
    Ok took an hour or so but all non profit making items in storage and all buildings in a corner.....
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    In a way, I'm jealous, my Springfield is now acceptable to me which leaves me waiting around for Krabapple to finish her quests so I can get the next building (EA set up rather laboured quests for this one, I had more than enough money and maxed out a long way back). That's a lot of thumb twiddling.

By the way, I have added you and you must accept me as us ethnic minorities need to stick together in our Springfield ghettoes :wink:

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!