EA Forums - Banner

TV Shows you discovered/rediscovered?

Prev1
efin98
5856 posts Member
WKRP was a favourite of mine, but was long unavailable because they hadn't secured the right clearances for the music (the first season was available, but with fake stand in music that really didn't work). A few months ago, they released the whole series with about 95% of the original music, and it really holds up. Very, very funny stuff!

tumblr_nfph9soPwa1tohid6o1_400.gif

Replies

• rolybert7
    2776 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    Why are you being forced to watch? Is it some new type of torture :shock: :mrgreen:
  • annettemarc
    7695 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    Barney Miller. :)
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • Annathewicked
    4708 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    Faulty towers...... love that show
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • RMVancleav710
    3531 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    You should watch MASH!!!! we started watching that...its great!! for the longest time I was having MASHist dreams cause my husband was moving forward while I was asleep...and they turned out better dreams then some of the other space documentaries were giving me... :shock: although it gets kind of liberal towards the end.... :roll:
    crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56
  • rolybert7
    2776 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    You should watch MASH!!!! we started watching that...its great!! for the longest time I was having MASHist dreams cause my husband was moving forward while I was asleep...and they turned out better dreams then some of the other space documentaries were giving me... :shock: although it gets kind of liberal towards the end.... :roll:
    Do you have hot lips?
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    rolybert7 wrote:
    Why are you being forced to watch? Is it some new type of torture :shock: :mrgreen:

"forced" in the sense that it's either watch the old stuff or do nothing for five hours and I'd rather watch than twiddle my thumbs passing the time :oops:
  • mystery2mi
    2352 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    Sanford and Son & All In the Family. It's really interesting to listen to the dialog and see how much things have changed, especially when it comes to race and gender issues. Back then, there was no political correctness.
  • RMVancleav710
    3531 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    rolybert7 wrote:
    Do you have hot lips?

You should know.... :wink:
    crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    rolybert7 wrote:
    Do you have hot lips?

You should know.... :wink:

:shock: :oops: :lol:
  • annettemarc
    7695 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    mystery2mi wrote:
    Sanford and Son & All In the Family. It's really interesting to listen to the dialog and see how much things have changed, especially when it comes to race and gender issues. Back then, there was no political correctness.
    mystery2mi wrote:

Norman Lear created both of those shows (and many more).

At first, there was a LOT of criticism and protest against those shows, because they WERE politically incorrect. Norman Lear changed the face of TV sitcoms -- by purposely being as politically incorrect as humanly possible. There wasn't any subject he shied away from. (The most controversial was in his series "Maude", when Maude had an abortion.)

The funny thing was, All in the Family became a hit for people from two very different generations. The older viewers (e.g., the 'Greatest Generation' folks) thought Archie was great and making sense, and that Michael was the one that the show ridiculed. They loved that Meathead looked like such an idiot. A lot of them just didn't "get it". The Baby Boomers thought Archie was a jerk and that Meathead was the one making sense. THEY loved that ARCHIE looked like such an idiot.

GREAT show. :)
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    mystery2mi wrote:

At first, there was a LOT of criticism and protest against those shows, because they WERE politically incorrect. Norman Lear changed the face of TV sitcoms -- by purposely being as politically incorrect as humanly possible. There wasn't any subject he shied away from. (The most controversial was in his series "Maude", when Maude had an abortion.)

The funny thing was, All in the Family became a hit for people from two very different generations. The older viewers (e.g., the 'Greatest Generation' folks) thought Archie was great and making sense, and that Michael was the one that the show ridiculed. They loved that Meathead looked like such an idiot. A lot of them just didn't "get it". The Baby Boomers thought Archie was a jerk and that Meathead was the one making sense. THEY loved that ARCHIE looked like such an idiot.

They were hits but they also oversaturated the TV in a bad way that caused early demises for several of the shows and caused a sort of backlash in that people started to turn to other comedies to get away from the up front un-PCness that these shows were giving. Not that it was a bad thing, from that we did get several great comedies that themselves still stand the test of time.
  • johncolombo
    11027 posts Senior Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
    Mary Tyler Moore
    Bob Newhart
    Green Acres
    Beverly Hillbillies
    just to name a few I like
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • johncolombo
    11027 posts Senior Moderator
    edited June 2015
    mystery2mi wrote:
    mystery2mi wrote:

how could you leave out Norman Lear's most controversial show? Mary Hartman?
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited June 2015
    I havent been watching anything as old as 70s/80s etc but i have been watching the following shows which arent current as such.

The Walking Dead - Absolutely AWESOME!! Roll on October for Season6!!

Sons of Anarchy - Just started Watching

Under The Dome - Half Way through Season1

Games of Thrones - Yet to watch

Breaking Bad - Can watch this any time wicked show!

Prison Break - will watch again once above all finished lol

Arrow (current)

The Flash (current)

Agents of Shield (current)
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • durarararara
    2855 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    Rewatched Six Feet Under. One of my favorite series finale!

Binge watched all 5 seasons of Game of Thrones recently. A lot of **** moments especially the season finale last night. Won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet. :wink:
  • mystery2mi
    2352 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    mystery2mi wrote:
    mystery2mi wrote:

I used to watch Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman back in the day. I didn't realize that it was on again. What network is it on? That show was so crazy!
  • Annathewicked
    4708 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    Spent the last week watching all 9 seasons of Trailer Park Boys......... :shock:
    It is rather stupidly funny
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    mystery2mi wrote:

I used to watch Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman back in the day. I didn't realize that it was on again. What network is it on? That show was so crazy!

It hasn't been shown on any of the retro networks yet and TVLand hasn't aired it in 13 years...if it's on the air it's only locally shown :shock:
  • mathumster385
    2436 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    I binge watched the third season of "Orange is the New Black". Now waiting on 2016 to see how the cliffhanger ends. ?
  • Annathewicked
    4708 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    arrested development- was happy when netflix picked it back up, but never got to watch till now..... watching it all together is fun. Sad they dropped it again after one season.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!