EA Forums - Banner

Are all threads automatically locked after a certain time period?

bradyc79
1379 posts Member
We had a rash of necro threads that were misleading to those who didn't immediately check the date. Otherwise known as everyone. So yes, old threads get locked to prevent this.

Replies

• bradyc79
    1379 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    Ok, thanks for the reply, neuroheart. Duly noted. I was wondering, is this true only for General Discussuion, or for all of the sections. Specifically wondering about Springfield Showcase. I would hope the WDYDW threads would always stay active, so new contributions could be made without starting a new thread. Not sure how the locked thing works.
  • Arbok9782
    525 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    bradyc79 wrote:
    Ok, thanks for the reply, neuroheart. Duly noted. I was wondering, is this true only for General Discussuion, or for all of the sections. Specifically wondering about Springfield Showcase. I would hope the WDYDW threads would always stay active, so new contributions could be made without starting a new thread. Not sure how the locked thing works.

From checking the other boards, Game Discussion seems to be the only one that has topics that get locked after a certain period.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    Arbok9782 wrote:
    bradyc79 wrote:

From checking the other boards, Game Discussion seems to be the only one that has topics that get locked after a certain period.

This is the only place where an old thread can get out of hand fast with people not looking at the dates of posts...the other places don't have that problem.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    efin98 wrote:
    This is the only place where an old thread can get out of hand fast with people not looking at the dates of posts...the other places don't have that problem.
    Pretty much this. Old update threads or discussions of game mechanics that are no longer relevant tended to cause some problems. Showcase threads do not cause such problems, and will not be locked. In fact, necro threads are downright encouraged in showcase by Dalton's handy guide to existing threads. It's nice to keep all the images together, actually.

Your next question might be, "So why are all threads locked instead of just the old event threads and threads with discussion of defunct game mechanics?" The answer is that reading every single post ever would be an unreasonable task and just locking them en masse is easier.
    Questions about generalities like the conform-o-meter tend to be repeated periodically, and often answered similarly every time. However, if there's a specific thread that you feel should not be locked because it's still valuable and info in it has not gone out of date, send me a link and I'll review it.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.