EA Forums - Banner

TSTO Race to the Finish. The Race is ON! (Wish us luck.)

Replies

• annettemarc
    7734 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    I've been through this exercise once with my B-town. Well sort of. No RL money. The stacking glitch had been fixed. etc

But why the rule of no taking advantage of glitches? From other things you've said it seems you are trying to reproduce the experience of a player who doesn't even use the various TSTO sites at all! Yet you are not willing to give up walkthroughs. My point is that if you have access to walkthroughs then you have access to people who can share glitch info. Even addicts talks about the glitches (eventually).

Excellent point. On the issue of glitches ... obviously, if we find out about them somehow, we could (and probably would) use those in our main towns, so it's not as though we won't know about them. I mean, we WILL be on the forum for insider-information.

My point was to discipline ourselves to play our NEW towns without taking advantage of them. More like a new player who DOES come to the forum to get advice but comes along at a time that they've missed playing glitches, and have to earn money the old-fashioned way. Like, I keep hearing old-timers say "I can't imagine what it would have been like without the stackable handshakes". I also wonder how it would have affected me if I knew I wasn't eventually going to get that houseboat I wanted. I knew I was going to get it because I had the Endless Bob tactic, so the stress of that event was MUCH less for me.

In this challenge, I meant to have us experience the frustrations, and to hear the posts of "don't worry. Just keep playing the event regularly and you'll get all the prizes." (That is, the ones that didn't always fully appreciate the role "luck" was playing in their own achievement.)

This would have to be hybrid. Do we use-every-bit-of-much-insider-information-as-the-forum-gives-us? Or do we use the insider information that a player will have access to even if they start the game a year from now and play the game to its completion during a period that happens to be glitch-free? What would THAT be like?

Thoughts?
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • annettemarc
    7734 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    aidx1054 wrote:
    I would love to join in on this but come September I wouldn't have enough time to keep two games going. Is there any possibility of doing it for two months and at the end see who's the farthest? Or maybe do the first to level 20 wins.

If you were doing the questline with no town designing, do you think you could manage your second town for a while? Some of the later levels are the much more challenging ones to manage, especially if there are events adding pressure and stress. (Like, not having Edna Krabappel at the start of the Terwilliger event was so stressful for players who were still struggling.)

We could see who is at the top as of the end of each month, though. So if someone has to drop out midway, they could still have some recognition for what they'd accomplished so far. How does that sound?

Since we're all mutual neighbors in this challenge, our levels would be visible to all. Maybe periodic screencapping? We can make up rules as we go along. (Sort of like Homer in Tap-ball) :)
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    I've been through this exercise once with my B-town. Well sort of. No RL money. The stacking glitch had been fixed. etc

But why the rule of no taking advantage of glitches? From other things you've said it seems you are trying to reproduce the experience of a player who doesn't even use the various TSTO sites at all! Yet you are not willing to give up walkthroughs. My point is that if you have access to walkthroughs then you have access to people who can share glitch info. Even addicts talks about the glitches (eventually).

Excellent point. On the issue of glitches ... obviously, if we find out about them somehow, we could (and probably would) use those in our main towns, so it's not as though we won't know about them. I mean, we WILL be on the forum for insider-information.

My point was to discipline ourselves to play our NEW towns without taking advantage of them. More like a new player who DOES come to the forum to get advice but comes along at a time that they've missed playing glitches, and have to earn money the old-fashioned way. Like, I keep hearing old-timers say "I can't imagine what it would have been like without the stackable handshakes". I also wonder how it would have affected me if I knew I wasn't eventually going to get that houseboat I wanted. I knew I was going to get it because I had the Endless Bob tactic, so the stress of that event was MUCH less for me.

In this challenge, I meant to have us experience the frustrations, and to hear the posts of "don't worry. Just keep playing the event regularly and you'll get all the prizes." (That is, the ones that didn't always fully appreciate the role "luck" was playing in their own achievement.)

This would have to be hybrid. Do we use-every-bit-of-much-insider-information-as-the-forum-gives-us? Or do we use the insider information that a player will have access to even if they start the game a year from now and play the game to its completion during a period that happens to be glitch-free? What would THAT be like?

Thoughts?

You cannot go back in time. I already knew what I was doing when I started my B-town. I knew I'd win the events. I did have more to juggle. For example at one point I had 20+ quests going at once during an event! I had to hurry to get Burns because he was needed. I didn't have the Flander's kids right away for Halloween. etc. I still won the events. I know the frustrations newbies have because I was once a newbie; playing without looking at the TSTO sites. One of the reasons I'm here on the forum is to encourage and help the new players.

Soooo, I think the point of this exercise would be to see how fast you can level up as a freemium player with access to anything you can do in the game and all information you can get off the forum and other sites.

• aidx1054
    1554 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    aidx1054 wrote:
    I would love to join in on this but come September I wouldn't have enough time to keep two games going. Is there any possibility of doing it for two months and at the end see who's the farthest? Or maybe do the first to level 20 wins.

If you were doing the questline with no town designing, do you think you could manage your second town for a while? Some of the later levels are the much more challenging ones to manage, especially if there are events adding pressure and stress. (Like, not having Edna Krabappel at the start of the Terwilliger event was so stressful for players who were still struggling.)

We could see who is at the top as of the end of each month, though. So if someone has to drop out midway, they could still have some recognition for what they'd accomplished so far. How does that sound?

Since we're all mutual neighbors in this challenge, our levels would be visible to all. Maybe periodic screencapping? We can make up rules as we go along. (Sort of like Homer in Tap-ball) :)

Well, count me in so, I won't win but it sounds fun.
    One question though, you say no real life money but are we still allowed use the free donuts we earn? I would presume so because they're available to everyone, new, old or premium

• annettemarc
    7734 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    aidx1054 wrote:
    aidx1054 wrote:

Well, count me in so, I won't win but it sounds fun.
    One question though, you say no real life money but are we still allowed use the free donuts we earn? I would presume so because they're available to everyone, new, old or premium

Yes, any donuts you win in the game are allowed. (You will need to choose wisely when to use them, of course.)
  • lynnmckenz82
    2613 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm willing to try it, although I missed both the stackable handshakes and Endless Bob (but by the second of those I was already at the max level).

One question. My son started TSTO a year or so ago and then abandoned it without creating a username. Now, everytime I don't log on, it gives me that half-finished game, which I think is around Level 5 or so. How can I "erase" it so that I can start over at the beginning?
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • aidx1054
    1554 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm willing to try it, although I missed both the stackable handshakes and Endless Bob (but by the second of those I was already at the max level).

One question. My son started TSTO a year or so ago and then abandoned it without creating a username. Now, everytime I don't log on, it gives me that half-finished game, which I think is around Level 5 or so. How can I "erase" it so that I can start over at the beginning?

Clear your cache I think

• aidx1054
    1554 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    The poll won't let me vote because I voted before but I choose the "I'll join but I have no preforance about the use of walkthroughs"

• Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    aidx1054 wrote:

Clear your cache I think

I know of no way to start over. The file is actually on the server. Clearing the cache will not do it. Nuking will not do it.

• Phinnea
    1388 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm in. No preference about walkthroughs.
    phinneacttf in the Crawl to the Finish
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    I cannot vote because I already voted. Is it now taking my old vote and putting it in some new category?

• aidx1054
    1554 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    aidx1054 wrote:

Clear your cache I think

I know of no way to start over. The file is actually on the server. Clearing the cache will not do it. Nuking will not do it.

If he never signed up to origin it's only saved locally to the device, I remember getting a warning something like that when I initially declined to signing up.

• Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    aidx1054 wrote:
    aidx1054 wrote:

Clear your cache I think

If he never signed up to origin it's only saved locally to the device, I remember getting a warning something like that when I initially declined to signing up.

You are correct. I missed the part about no username.

So to be sure, uninstall the game and reinstall.
  • annettemarc
    7734 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    You cannot go back in time. I already knew what I was doing when I started my B-town. I knew I'd win the events. I did have more to juggle. For example at one point I had 20+ quests going at once during an event! I had to hurry to get Burns because he was needed. I didn't have the Flander's kids right away for Halloween. etc. I still won the events. I know the frustrations newbies have because I was once a newbie; playing without looking at the TSTO sites. One of the reasons I'm here on the forum is to encourage and help the new players.

Soooo, I think the point of this exercise would be to see how fast you can level up as a freemium player with access to anything you can do in the game and all information you can get off the forum and other sites.

Hmmm. I guess what I'm saying is that some truly significant advantages are temporary.

The one I can think of that blew everything else out of the water was the stackable handshake glitch. There are many players here who have all the land and millions of dollars only because of it. And yet we tell players to "be patient, and have fun playing the game." What I was hoping to do here is for the people who join the challenge to see what it is like to BE challenged.

It's like my dad encouraging our kids to work over the summer and part-time jobs during the school year, so they can "work their way through college" instead of foolishly burdening themselves with student loans. He has no idea what he's talking about, and frustrates them.

It is one thing to calculate and devise clever strategies to play our tap-ball games, and create threads announcing "Strategies and FAQs" Examples: Calculate how many amateur bucks we get for losing to a five-star town vs. winning against a 3-star town, developing a chart showing how many items we need to collect per-day, etc. Those are things that any player could figure out on their own if they knew how to do the math, and were willing to put in the time to do the calculations.

It is a different thing to have a secret way of collecting scads of currency, as we did with the Terwilliger event, using the Endless Bob glitch).

Many of us are already going to KNOW about the glitches. But certainly not because we announce it to the world. I'm just saying we should not use that sort of thing in this challenge. I'd like to keep it challenging and frustrating. What's more frustrating than to be aware of a glitch but to have a rule that you can't use it in this contest? That is, if you had wanted the houseboat for your challenge-town, and KNEW how to get it very very very easily if you used a tactic that was being shared via PM, but couldn't use it in that town? :mrgreen:

• annettemarc
    7734 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    ROFL! I forgot about that poll problem! I just wrote right over the old ones. Doh!

Let me see if I can delete those options and insert new ones.

Whoops. That won't work! You still can't vote a second time. I think. Shucks. Looks like I might need a new thread. Let me check a few things first. :(
  • emaren
    73 posts
    edited June 2015
    I'm in, I will create a brand new town when we are ready to begin.

No glitches - check
    Do not care about walk- throughs etc though....
  • BrideOfFrank35
    244 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    sounds like fun and I'm interested but have a couple questions about a new origin id and how hard it would be to switch back & forth. could someone with more tech knowledge pm me lol
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    sounds like fun and I'm interested but have a couple questions about a new origin id and how hard it would be to switch back & forth. could someone with more tech knowledge pm me lol

Just in case others want to know...

You create a new name and use a different email address; very important that. Then you just logout and login with whatever credentials you want to play under. Same device even. You'll have to get use to the warning box that says you didn't save your game on the "other" device. :roll: Just ignore that and hit the red buttons that come up.

• annettemarc
    7734 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    Eliminated the poll. Made an executive decision.

Use of walkthroughs is permitted. This will include referring to any outside sources of information.

Advantages will be permitted just so long as every competitor has equal access to the information. I will discuss that in a PM when I add your name to the list.

As you sign up, I will add your name to the list above.

(NOTE: the forum wouldn't let me ERASE the poll. I was forced to leave it there with a minimum of two options. I just tried to make it meaningless.)

:)
  • XBL-Heretic
    1228 posts Member
    edited June 2015
    I started a fremium B town during SH event primarily to see how hard the game was for new players, but also because I was getting bored with the game / event. I fully intended on my B town remaining fremium, but within about one month I switched to "mostly fremium". By the time Tap Ball started, no remnants of "fremium" remained and my B town is now fully premium.

I made this comment before, playing my B town gave me mucho new-found respect for new players. I was also reminded of just how much of a time sink this game can be. My erratic work schedule just doesn't allow for a premium and a fremium town (which is why my fremium B town quickly became premium). At this point, I'm seriously contemplating nuking/quitting my B town. No sense spending the time and money to maintain two premium towns.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!