EA Forums - Banner

Hate the Nixon bashing

Prev1
I think The Simpsons has a history of bashing politicians, so it doesn't really bother me when it's in-game. Regarding Nixon, I was too young at the time, but I think history shows that he did earn his nickname.

Replies

• Deadshot_DCU
    6291 posts Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Dude, it's a game. Take it for what it is & have fun
  • ghallmark814
    2343 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    The Simpsons parody everything, even the game you play. :roll:
  • imurhklbry
    10 posts
    edited July 2015
    I don't expect many people to agree, but I really hate when this game gets political. I happen to think Nixon did many great things as President including China, civil rights legislation and the EPA. It's clear how the EA creators of this game lean - but can you just stick to the damn game and stop politicizing everything. Just my two cents.

Completely agree. As far as the Simpsons parodying everything, I don't see a humorous take on the Democrat Headquarters in the game. I'm not looking forward to what they do with the Presidential election.

...And now I will stop politicizing the forum.
  • yelp818
    88 posts
    edited July 2015
    He did make some very beneficial foreign policy decisions for the United States, and he did some great environmental things, too. But he was still a lying, cheating, deceptive human being who will go down as one of the worst presidents in US history. He deserves to be hated, if not just for making most Americans of that generation and after become disengaged with and distrustful of US government.
  • ghallmark814
    2343 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    imurhklbry wrote:
    I don't expect many people to agree, but I really hate when this game gets political. I happen to think Nixon did many great things as President including China, civil rights legislation and the EPA. It's clear how the EA creators of this game lean - but can you just stick to the damn game and stop politicizing everything. Just my two cents.

Completely agree. As far as the Simpsons parodying everything, I don't see a humorous take on the Democrat Headquarters in the game. I'm not looking forward to what they do with the Presidential election.

They do go after Democrats too.. In fact the one with Jockey Bart & furious D had Bill in it.

"Hey, I'm a pretty lousy president." ?Bill Clinton

2jdfl1y.jpg

• imurhklbry
    10 posts
    edited July 2015

They do go after Democrats too.. In fact the one with Jockey Bart & furious D had Bill in it.

2jdfl1y.jpg

As I said, the Simpsons parody lots of things. The GAME does not.
  • jackmack010
    366 posts Member
    edited July 2015

I laff at you cause you say funny things……….

People who defend Tricky * are usually people who weren't around to vote for him in '68 (I voted for H.H.Humphreys) or in '72 (I voted for G.McGovern) and don't remember R.M.Nixon for being the egomaniacal politician he actually was…….

EPA….. Thanks Ralph Nader and Nader's Raiders for that.

Civil rights……. Thank Lyndon B. Johnson for that.

Red China + phlebitis….. Nixon's ploy to take the nation's mind off the real issue of Watergate.

Nixon was a disgrace as a leader and earned all the vilification he has received in the past 40+ years.

GOOD JOB EA
  • chaffey1973
    122 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    Nixon, unlike most politicians, kept his campaign promises. He abolished the draft, got us out of Viet Nam, and gave the 18 year old the vote. All were very important issues which helped him win in 1968. Vietnam had the country divided in opinion,. 18-20 year olds had to serve in the military and couldn't vote for their country but could die for it. At Nixon's eulogy, Bill Clinton stated "History has not written the last word on Richard Nixon". His stock will go up. He was no more crooked than any other politician, he just got caught and left office.

Speaking of broken campaign promises, I'll list two and let you all think of more:

1988: George H.W. Bush: "I want to be known as the Education President"
    1992: Bill Clinton: "I promise to bring every man, woman, and child in America free health care".
  • lynnmckenz82
    2613 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    Nixon, unlike most politicians, kept his campaign promises. He abolished the draft, got us out of Viet Nam, and gave the 18 year old the vote. All were very important issues which helped him win in 1968. Vietnam had the country divided in opinion,. 18-20 year olds had to serve in the military and couldn't vote for their country but could die for it. At Nixon's eulogy, Bill Clinton stated "History has not written the last word on Richard Nixon". His stock will go up. He was no more crooked than any other politician, he just got caught and left office.

Speaking of broken campaign promises, I'll list two and let you all think of more:

1992: Bill Clinton: "I promise to bring every man, woman, and child in America free health care".

IIRC, Nixon promised in 1968 to end the war. In 1972, when he was reelected, we were still fighting. It took until 1973 to end the war. I don't give him credit for that.
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • chaffey1973
    122 posts Member
    edited July 2015

IIRC, Nixon promised in 1968 to end the war. In 1972, when he was reelected, we were still fighting. It took until 1973 to end the war. I don't give him credit for that.

Yes, but there wasn't much fighting going on. The policy was known as Vietnamiazation, let them fight it. Hardly any Americans died. I remember in either Life or Look magazine, they ran a story about the one soldier who died in a given week, or month. Back in 1968 Life had several pages full of photos of the KIAs. that was around the time of the Tet offensive. See the movie Full Metal Jacket.
  • chaffey1973
    122 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    Also, the POW's came home about the time of Nixon's second inaguaration. The South Vietnamese held out until March 1975.
  • Igcognita
    1504 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    If the game is slightly tilted to the left more than the right, is it really that big of an issue. Most of writing for the game I can see being on the show. I don't find their messages offensive or over powering. It bugged me a little when Carl says, "this won't happen when Obama is President", but not enough to let it spoil my enjoyment of the game. So there are barbs being thrown at both sides, IMO.
  • johncolombo
    11451 posts Senior Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Dude, it's a game. Take it for what it is & have fun

this.
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • Lancemountain37
    258 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    Piece of trivia-

Nixon was the only person ever elected twice as vice president and twice as president
  • pollardfreek
    786 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    Piece of trivia-

Nixon was the only person ever elected twice as vice president and twice as president

Hmmm that's a really nice little nugget there. Thanks for posting it.
  • tagsfan60
    62 posts
    edited July 2015
    I don't expect many people to agree, but I really hate when this game gets political. I happen to think Nixon did many great things as President including China, civil rights legislation and the EPA. It's clear how the EA creators of this game lean - but can you just stick to the damn game and stop politicising everything. Just my two cents.
    he's hardly my favourite pres. but I applaud his EPA stance, his ending of the Vietnam War, and China. I also,applaud his choice of GR Ford as VP because, IMO, Betty Ford was an awesome First Lady
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    tagsfan60 wrote:
    I don't expect many people to agree, but I really hate when this game gets political. I happen to think Nixon did many great things as President including China, civil rights legislation and the EPA. It's clear how the EA creators of this game lean - but can you just stick to the damn game and stop politicising everything. Just my two cents.
    he's hardly my favourite pres. but I applaud his EPA stance, his ending of the Vietnam War, and China. I also,applaud his choice of GR Ford as VP because, IMO, Betty Ford was an awesome First Lady

He was an easy selection for being inoffensive to everyone in Washington but was also chosen for a sinister reason- he could be beaten in the '76 election since he would be the leading candidate since Nixon was term limited by the 22nd Amendment...nice guy but really just a lamb being led to slaughter. 8)

Something else he is known for that is still around today- he was responsible for helping save railroads and passenger service in the US. Amtrak is the biggest result from the saving of this.
  • izabellatrix
    1612 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    imurhklbry wrote:

2jdfl1y.jpg
    Wait. That episode aired when Clinton was still president? My God, where does the time go? I still think of that as a "new" episode. :roll:
    Joined: May 2014 • Level: 563 • Favourite Characters: Lisa & Ralph
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited July 2015
    The Simpsons parody everything, even the game you play. :roll:

:thumbup: I find it funny how they essentially make fun of their OWN game! :lol:
  • tagsfan60
    62 posts
    edited July 2015
    ITA about Pres Ford but Betty was awesome. She told the truth even when it was politically incorrect. She admitted her kids had tried **** and she admitted having * cancer when it was still a taboo subject.

Anyhow, I'm through here. Back to my reg Simpsons talk
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!