EA Forums - Banner

anyone upgrade to windows 10?

Prev1
I'm still waiting for them to sort the mess out with the viruses. for now, however, I'd rather stick to Windows 7.

Replies

• baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited August 2015
    I'm still waiting for them to sort the mess out with the viruses. for now, however, I'd rather stick to Windows 7.

haven't heard of any viruses besides scam emails where people pretend to be Microsoft and offer the download which is a virus that apparently encrypts your files and demands a payment to unlock it

• mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    Not available yet. But will do once i get the message.
  • barryriddl474
    4817 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    I did on launch day and reverted back to Windows 7 within 24 hours. It was very slow for me and videos wouldn't play properly.
    All good again now with 7.
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    If you have a computer the is older than 4 years with an ATI graphic card, you may find you graphics card wont be compatible.
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    I turned on my computer one day and got a message from Microsoft (hopefully Microsoft after reading about the scams) asking if I wanted to register to upgrade. I accepted. Waiting for the email with the link. I currently use Windows 8 and don't mind it at all. Not sure why people hate it.
  • baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited August 2015
    I turned on my computer one day and got a message from Microsoft (hopefully Microsoft after reading about the scams) asking if I wanted to register to upgrade. I accepted. Waiting for the email with the link. I currently use Windows 8 and don't mind it at all. Not sure why people hate it.

if it was the windows icon in the system tray asking you to reserve the download that's Microsoft

i don't think you get a email with a link it updates thru your computer and notify's you when it's ready to install (not sure on that one i forced the update after googling how to do it but i'm pretty certain it's not a email)
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    Just upgraded mine. It made my screen really dark for some reason, even on 100% brightness, but my bf looked some stuff up and fixed it.

Other than that it seems really similar so far, but without that annoying side menu thing that pops out at the left of the screen all the time, which is good cos that annoyed the crap out of me! :P
  • suetopia
    4229 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    I have the icon in the task bar, but it won't let me update for some reason. Still trying to figure it out.
  • johncolombo
    11301 posts Senior Moderator
    edited August 2015
    suetopia wrote:
    I have the icon in the task bar, but it won't let me update for some reason. Still trying to figure it out.

I've had that icon in my task bar forever. Did it come out already? I thought it wasn't coming out till fall. I'm still running windows 7 on a 6 year old machine and it runs like it's brand new. I'm on the fence. I make my livelihood off this computer, Barry how easy was it to roll back to win 7?

Edit: I just clicked on the icon in the task bar, it says they are rolling it out in waves. Not available for me yet.
    Anyone with an older system find it runs well?
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • suetopia
    4229 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    Couldn't figure out what the issue was preventing the download, but apparently I'm not the only one who had the issue when the download became available (it appears many others have - windows update wasn't connecting to the server for some reason and I don't think anybody has figured out why). I ended up downloading it manually instead - this also corrected the windows update issue once windows 10 was installed.

Looks good so far - I definitely like it better than Windows 8 (so far). Then again, I probably would prefer anything over Windows 8... :D
  • johncolombo
    edited August 2015
    suetopia wrote:
    Couldn't figure out what the issue was preventing the download, but apparently I'm not the only one who had the issue when the download became available (it appears many others have - windows update wasn't connecting to the server for some reason and I don't think anybody has figured out why). I ended up downloading it manually instead - this also corrected the windows update issue once windows 10 was installed.

Looks good so far - I definitely like it better than Windows 8 (so far). Then again, I probably would prefer anything over Windows 8... :D

The biggest suck I can think of in windows ten is losing media center. I use it to record TV on occasion.
  • suetopia
    4229 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    The biggest suck I can think of in windows ten is losing media center. I use it to record TV on occasion.

Maybe they will add it in the future. They will need to do some tweaking of some stuff - the new internet browser that they have developed can't be used with various antivirus programs, so I imagine they will need to fix that. Hopefully after they rollout Windows 10 to most people they will figure out what's missing and what needs to be tweaked.
  • moxxee
    7717 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm running Windows 95. Is Windows 10 an improved build?
  • suetopia
    4229 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    moxxee wrote:

Taco.
  • moxxee
    7717 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    suetopia wrote:
    moxxee wrote:

Taco.

Accepted!
  • johncolombo
    edited August 2015
    moxxee wrote:

have you downloaded service pack 2 for win 95 yet? It's the bomb. Way better than windows 10.

• moxxee
    7717 posts Member
    edited August 2015
    If you haven't received the prompt to upgrade to Windows 10, there is a work around...no need to wait!
    8)

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

It should exist, but if not, create it.

Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.
  • baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited August 2015
    moxxee wrote:
    If you haven't received the prompt to upgrade to Windows 10, there is a work around...no need to wait!
    8)

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

It should exist, but if not, create it.

Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.

i just used the media creation tool from the windows website that lets you upgrade to windows 10 without waiting

i had to change my region in the control panel to US because it didn't work at first but now i'm upgraded and switched the region back to Australia without issue
  • dave3490
    2472 posts
    edited August 2015
    I had to do a manual thingumiejiggie to just get the Windows icon to appear, i signed up for Windows 10 but as of yet, am still waiting for my PC to upgrade to the new Windows 10. I am in no rush for them to eventually have the update come to my PC, so at the moment, no need to force the update to get it. I'm just going with the flow and when i get the upgrade, i'll be happy. Quite excited about it as i skipped Windows 8 as it was really rubbish. Stayed on Windows 7 for now. Just a waiting game for the upgrade to come through now
  • nick012345678900
    2272 posts
    edited August 2015
    Am upgrading to windows 10 anything that's free why not:)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!