EA Forums - Banner

Well we all loved co0lcat, what about c0pycat?

Prev13456
I like it when you go to a friends town & you see the same idea from your own town :) Lets you know that your idea is a good one if people copy it :D

Unless their copy is better than your own lol

Replies

• Shelleys20
    110 posts
    edited January 2013
    I don't mind when people copy aspects of my town it is just a game after all
  • spiffshine
    1978 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    I have found two very distinct layouts from my Springfield in neighbors towns. Honestly, it amuses me and I have kept those 2 friends to "keep an eye" on them and see if anything else shows up. I lean on the side of flattery.
  • melodyhodge
    1691 posts
    edited January 2013
    Lol I'm the same, I love catching a bit of my idea in a neighbours town. However I'd be seriously freaked out if I came across a twin Springfield whilst going through neighbours!

If you managed to incorporate all the best bits from your neighbours towns into your own you would have one seriously cool/crashy Springfield!
  • Zombies8MyDingo
    209 posts
    edited January 2013
    I tried copying a really cool Alcatraz prison, but just couldn't get the layout right. It looked great in the other town, but the fences wouldn't align right and the moat just didn't work for me. I ended up with the graveyards isolated with a moat instead so I had time to kill off all the zombies.

It's been the same with other things, they look cool but just don't work for me when I try them, but lead to other ideas. :)
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Maybe because I'm an artist who makes money off their work (photographer and a damn good one lol.... http://mvernonphotography.smugmug.com/ proof haha toot toot own horn) but I have a slightly different take on the issue of copying....

It annoys me somewhat.

Obviously there are only so many things we can do with certain buildings and the limitations of this game but when I go into a friends town and I see 2 - 3 or even 4 things copied down to the last bush? That annoys me. Get your own damn ideas!

I actually deleted somebody for this reason, they kept taking everything new I would do and add it to their town.

I spend hours (yes, it is a sickness lol) thinking and designing and I really don't like to see my efforts copied exactly.

HOWEVER --- before you all blow up at me (dons protective gear) I do think that some form of imitation is flattery. You like something in somebody's town? Then by all means incorporate it into your own but don't do an exact copy. Be original, be creative, make it your own. Take their idea and make it better.

If I go to somebody's town and I see one of my ideas improved upon? It sparks the creative in me and makes me want to make mine even better. I like that because it keeps the game from getting stale. I visit all my friends towns and I take screenshots of things I really like about their towns and then I think about how I could incorporate something similar into mine (or even if I could).

Again, that is what keeps this interesting for me.

But please, don't do exact copies of anybody because you are depriving yourself of the fun in coming up with your own ideas that you can show off here.

And that is all....please don't hit me too hard LOL!
  • spiffshine
    1978 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    Maybe because I'm an artist who makes money off their work (photographer and a damn good one lol.... http://mvernonphotography.smugmug.com/ proof haha toot toot own horn) but I have a slightly different take on the issue of copying....

It annoys me somewhat.

I am a professional artist as well - Art Director for a high profile company - and would be upset if I found my professional work copied... but this is a game. :|
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    spiffshine wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

It annoys me somewhat.

I am a professional artist as well - Art Director for a high profile company - and would be upset if I found my professional work copied... but this is a game. :|

I know it just carries over. I have some friends who are published poets and they are always talking about how they will go to a work shop and another poet will be tooting their new book with a pretty photo on the cover....

Friend: "That's a pretty photo, who took it?"
    Poet: "I don't know, I found it on the Internet"
    Friend: "Seriously? You know you can't just use a photo you find on the internet?"
    Poet: "Then they shouldn't post it on the Internet if it is not free for use!"

Soooo because of that, I tend to be hyper protective so it bothers me. Can't turn that part of myself off lol but like I said, I do think that incorporating the idea and changing it up a bit so it isn't an exact copy is a flattering.
  • spiffshine
    1978 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:

Dot Communists!

That really is the worst. I work with photographers every day and have very strict rules to follow regarding credits. Every brochure we print, magazine ad we run, photo we put in our web gallery, and sample we send to a client is properly credited for the photographer and architect even! It annoys me slightly that every photographer has different usage guidelines... but that's just a minor bookkeeping trouble.

You work is grand, btw!
  • melodyhodge
    1691 posts
    edited January 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:

It annoys me somewhat.

Obviously there are only so many things we can do with certain buildings and the limitations of this game but when I go into a friends town and I see 2 - 3 or even 4 things copied down to the last bush? That annoys me. Get your own damn ideas!

I actually deleted somebody for this reason, they kept taking everything new I would do and add it to their town.

I spend hours (yes, it is a sickness lol) thinking and designing and I really don't like to see my efforts copied exactly.

HOWEVER --- before you all blow up at me (dons protective gear) I do think that some form of imitation is flattery. You like something in somebody's town? Then by all means incorporate it into your own but don't do an exact copy. Be original, be creative, make it your own. Take their idea and make it better.

If I go to somebody's town and I see one of my ideas improved upon? It sparks the creative in me and makes me want to make mine even better. I like that because it keeps the game from getting stale. I visit all my friends towns and I take screenshots of things I really like about their towns and then I think about how I could incorporate something similar into mine (or even if I could).

Again, that is what keeps this interesting for me.

But please, don't do exact copies of anybody because you are depriving yourself of the fun in coming up with your own ideas that you can show off here.

And that is all....please don't hit me too hard LOL!

Lol I do understand where your coming from but I love using other people's ideas so I'm not really fussed if anyone uses mine.

At the same time if everyone copied each other the game would be pretty boring, I love seeing new innovative Springfields, quite unlike others.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    spiffshine wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

Dot Communists!

That really is the worst. I work with photographers every day and have very strict rules to follow regarding credits. Every brochure we print, magazine ad we run, photo we put in our web gallery, and sample we send to a client is properly credited for the photographer and architect even! It annoys me slightly that every photographer has different usage guidelines... but that's just a minor bookkeeping trouble.

You work is grand, btw!

Awww *blushes* thank you.

I mostly do commission and gallery work, nothing national because it is just a side hobby. My career is computers and keeping the hospital up and running.

Yes! What burns me up is seeing the photos of my friends being sent around in chain emails (you've seen them the ones that say OMG! Look at these photos). The professional nature photographer world is a small one so I almost always know the photographer or recognize their work. The photos always have the copyrights removed! Because the photographers don't want to ruin their work so they put tiny little marks in the corner that can be cropped out.

Screw that! My photos? Shrunken so it looks like crap reproduced and an obnoxious copyright across the center of them lol. Those things are my babies and I would just die if somebody stole them.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread lol but clearly photography is my passion and something that I can just go on about.
  • tmacs2008
    71 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Not everyone is born with a creative thumb so its nice to be able to get inspiration from other people. I agree with our resident artists, though, in that you should try to put some of yourself into those inspirations whenever possible. I think it would be both a little flattering and a little annoying to find exact copies. Besides, there are some really creative ideas out there.
  • jasonicus321
    1811 posts
    edited January 2013
    Inspiration comes in many forms. I don't find it a bad thing to get ideas from someone else and implement them in your own town.
  • kgirl32
    462 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... :wink:

Lissa, beautiful shots! I'm impressed. I envy people that have an eye for photography. I have to take 50 shots and cross everything in hopes of getting a few good ones. Lol
  • HankScorrpio
    166 posts
    edited January 2013
    It's inevitable that people will copy you if you've done something unique.
    I don't see any real problem with it, it's a public game and most of us are looking to make our towns look the nicest and smartest.

Can't say I have copied anyone so far myself. I am trying to make my Springfield like the real life one, which is proving to be a crammed place right now.

However I think if you post a good piece of your town on here and are proud of it, be honoured that others like it and copy it.
    You're the trendsetter, carry on designing.
  • melodyhodge
    1691 posts
    edited January 2013
    It's inevitable that people will copy you if you've done something unique.
    I don't see any real problem with it, it's a public game and most of us are looking to make our towns look the nicest and smartest.

Can't say I have copied anyone so far myself. I am trying to make my Springfield like the real life one, which is proving to be a crammed place right now.

However I think if you post a good piece of your town on here and are proud of it, be honoured that others like it and copy it.
    You're the trendsetter, carry on designing.

Agreed! I love seeing people's towns to get inspiration.
  • Jopa79
    357 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Inspiration comes in many forms. I don't find it a bad thing to get ideas from someone else and implement them in your own town.

I agree with that, but an exact copy is a no-no in my mind.
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited January 2013
    Jopa79 wrote:

I agree with that, but an exact copy is a no-no in my mind.

Totally! take the idea but adapt to your own :)
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • XBL-Heretic
    1228 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    Screw that! My photos? Shrunken so it looks like crap reproduced and an obnoxious copyright across the center of them lol. Those things are my babies and I would just die if somebody stole them.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread lol but clearly photography is my passion and something that I can just go on about.

Ugg... Don't get me started on the severely broken Patent and Copyright systems we have here in the US!
  • christiemich
    621 posts
    edited January 2013
    Due to the strict limitations of the game, there have got to be literally hundreds of people who have created their own unique / original idea only to find some one else with it too... Who was also the originator of the layout.....
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited January 2013
    Due to the strict limitations of the game, there have got to be literally hundreds of people who have created their own unique / original idea only to find some one else with it too... Who was also the originator of the layout.....

Lets see if i can spark something off......I was the 1st person to put springfield prison on an island with a chain fence round it LOL
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!