EA Forums - Banner

Are we running the debug version of TSTO?

Replies

• SquirrelLadd
    1668 posts
    edited September 2015
    Dont exactly know what you mean....remember rather computer challenged here :D .....but it looks odd.
    Does this mean they are fixing the game?
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited September 2015
    Dont exactly know what you mean....remember rather computer challenged here :D .....but it looks odd.
    Does this mean they are fixing the game?

It is SOP in SE to instrument a program with debug statements; which is code that normally does not run except in a testing environment. The standard way of turning this on is to have the build engineer compile some or all of the code with that debug code turned on, which produces what is known as the "debug version of the program". Debug is usually turned off for the customer version for many reasons, including performance.

I just find it strange that such a thing as we see above should show up in the released program.

I assume they are making fixes to the game constantly.

Edit: It occurs to me now that "UI_Monorail_FindBuilding_Full" is the internationalization code for the message to be displayed and that it wasn't passed to the routine that gets the language text, it was just displayed itself. So, never mind.

• mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2015
    Stop putting in those cheat codes, Neggy!
  • devilhunt1449
    3546 posts Member
    edited September 2015
    The UI_bla,bla etc wording has been appearing randomly in various places since the monorail release, I've seen quite a few posts on here about it and also personally seen it appear in several building names, the text statments from characters and in names of stuff in storage.
  • LPNintendoITA
    11495 posts Member
    edited September 2015
    the find building is different cause that's what it's. it's the screen to locate the buildings. the other is probably a mistake that it didn't load the name of the text.
    My Youtube and Twitch / WikiSimpons Current Event Page and Discord
  • nissa762
    1951 posts Member
    edited September 2015
    End of a long day for me. But if it's using the string/var name instead of value, shouldn't it happen all the time? Maybe there are different access points...
  • TT_Degnan
    471 posts Member
    edited September 2015
    Converting the internal value of the objects name into the localised language equivalent could be a server side, or end user side, routine.

End user side would make more sense for performance (and help to explain tHe massive downloads we get), but putting too much at end user side can lead to other, less desirable consequences about which we do not talk in here 8)

However, either way, each and every time the game needs to display the local object name, there will be a routine which converts the internal object name into the local version - at simplistic level doing a lookup On a table using a combination of internal and local language setting.

Any programmer worth their salary would include a "what if that lookup fails" error routine, and the only thing they would have left to display at the point would be the internal object name value (or something even less useful like a bunch of ?s).
    Typically you'd trigger the error routine if the lookup either didn't return a value at all, didn't return it within a set period of time, or just crashed.

My gut feel therefore is that on occasion, the game engine called the routine, something went wrong, and you got the default error handling method of "chuck up the internal value, cos at least it's better than nothing, or crashing ungracefully "

I will now return my geekiness to the cupboard, where it belongs :lol:
  • LPNintendoITA
    11495 posts Member
    edited September 2015
    TT_Degnan wrote:
    Converting the internal value of the objects name into the localised language equivalent could be a server side, or end user side, routine.

End user side would make more sense for performance (and help to explain t
    it's end user side
    My Youtube and Twitch / WikiSimpons Current Event Page and Discord
  • AARONRTD
    1807 posts Member
    edited September 2015
    I had 3 *** once!
  • TT_Degnan
    471 posts Member
    edited September 2015
    TT_Degnan wrote:

End user side would make more sense for performance (and help to explain t
    it's end user side

Ta 8)

And apols for half a post originally, typing on iPad and the keyboard disappears occasionally, usually just as I'm hitting the middle row of letters, which then results in me hitting the submit button instead...

*edit
    Or, :cry: :evil: turning off smilies, or ticking the 'notify of replies'...
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!