EA Forums - Banner

How much input does Fox/Celebrities have in Tapped Out?

I've been wondering how much approval EA needs from Fox or from celebrities for their characters to be included in the game.
I remember in the old World of Springfield days, Rabbi Krustofsky was a planned figure but was later canceled because Jackie Mason didn't want the figure to be made. I also know that all voice clips had to be approved by Fox for use in the figures. Not only approved, but licensed and paid for.
So if the consent of Fox or a celebrity is required for Tapped Out, that may explain why a lot of celebrity characters have never shown up in the game, and maybe never will. As sought after as Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz are, I doubt EA have simply overlooked them or failed to release them. Lyle Lanley made an ever so brief appearance in the Monorail event. So someone had to go to all the trouble of drawing him, animating him, etc. But he vanished never to be seen again. I don't think EA are that stupid. They'd make a bunch of money releasing these characters as premiums. But if they can't get approval from the estate of Phil Hartman, that would explain it.

for Rabbi Krustofsky even if he was added he probably woulda been unvoiced unless it was by Dan Castellaneta since only the main six are used

Replies

• jedgeco
    247 posts
    edited November 2015
    I've been wondering how much approval EA needs from Fox or from celebrities for their characters to be included in the game.
    Probably none. There's no likeness of the actor being used in the drawing of the character.

I don't know about the Jackie Mason thing, but if they did, it was probably just as a courtesy to him. Similarly, Hartman was a particularly beloved guest cast member whose untimely death hit the production team hard, so they've never used his characters again out of respect.
  • 4junk3000
    5265 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    Licensing rights is serious business. Everything's expensive. When they launched this game they bought a certain amount of rights, whether it's a quantity of new voice material, or authorization to draw game material from a designated set of tv seasons.

Any business looks at the cost : benefit ratio for profitability of a sales campaign. Can you imagine that attempting to get Hartman-related material could be significantly more difficult and/or expensive, than all the other material available to them?

Then add the delicate sensitivity of trying to do something with a character, without disrespecting the actor AND HIS FANS, who would most likely complain no matter how they did it??

Making money from the talents of the dead is also risky business in Hollywood. For any one person that thinks it's great to see this older material revisited, there's two people shouting how disrespectful it is.

Anyone want to get on stage with a hologram of Tupac?

I expect all associated parties don't want to deal with the legal complexity, the possible fan backlash, the possible offense to the actor's family, the time and expense, etc. just to provide the latest video game content for a gen-pop who could give a crap how hard it was to execute. It's simply not worth it.

"You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • petehd14
    2769 posts Member
    edited November 2015
    The World of Simpsons figures had sound clips so Jackie Mason could only veto the use of his voice.

Still, a tiny company like TinyCo can get celebrity voices, and that puts EA to shame.

I badly want a TSTO/X-Files crossover when the new series comes out.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!