EA Forums - Banner

Town redesign strategies and theories

Hmm, looks like everyone is too busy rushing through the updates to share their theories and strategies.

Replies

• mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Similar boat, about to start a redesign, but just not sure what I want to do. I lean more toward #2 as that is what I have tried to do originally. I am just more stuck on where I want to put everything, the layout I mean, thinking I should map it out on paper first.

Also have gotten great ideas looking at other people's towns.
  • likecharges
    72 posts
    edited January 2013
    I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to organize my town, but I was never satisfied with the results. I was probably thinking too much into it. Then I decided to build as I go and it has been a blast! Some of my buildings are bunched together because I don't own enough land yet, but I'm very pleased with the rest. I just wish I could landscape (though I enjoy the snow in Springfield).

In conclusion, spend less time thinking and more time experimenting! :D

• I_cantdoit3
    17 posts
    edited January 2013
    For me it would be #2 it's the msot logical and generally looks the best.
  • Pchorsedoc
    320 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Always changing as we get new buildings. But trying to have business and residential
    sections. I admire people who have huge expanses of land with well thought out
    decorating for each building. But i kind of like my small town feel. Things have to make sense.
  • Chibihalo
    376 posts
    edited January 2013
    I actually saw someone suggest number one. I sat there staring at the screen all, "But that really wouldn't work well when you're not in your business district with the Supercollider." To each his own I guess.
  • melodyhodge
    1691 posts
    edited January 2013
    I don't really redesign, I just build and if I don't like the placement, then I move it. That's just how I am. My brain is one messy, scary place.
  • BlueElwood
    148 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    I'm mid redesign and my gosh, I don't know how people do it all the time! My first ever entire redesign and what I've done so far looks good but I need more land and I was puting decorations into storage, I noticed I kept crashing and I gave up with storage and just sold it all. I had soooo many brown fences it wasn't funny.

Mine is organised in its own way. I have a town centre and my town branches out from there with a residential area to one side etc. I cannot wait to finish. Until then, my town just looks like a complete mess :(

Edit: Changed a word
  • Xarone
    102 posts
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, noob questions coming:

1) You mentioned a "farming design," what does this mean? Just putting (for example) a bunch of brown houses in a row?

2) What is the proper etiquette if I visit a neighbors Springfield and like something they did in it? Am I allowed to use their idea or it considered a no-no?

EDIT: Nevermind the first question, I just saw another thread and see that I was right.
  • Shelleys20
    110 posts
    edited January 2013
    I would say #2 as it makes the town seem more logical I've split things up as logically as I still can't place a few buildings too my liking like cletus' farm and thew krabappel apartments.

My opinion on copying other towns is that it's not good to copy exactly but taking inspiration for what buildings and decorations look good together is fine. I think there was a thread on this a while back.
  • Xarone
    102 posts
    edited January 2013
    Thanks Shelley, I wasn't sure if it would be taken as a compliment or being a copy cat. Your answer is what I figured, just use their design as inspiration but change it up a little bit. And I don't mean copy their whole Springfield, but just a couple of elements from it. For example, one of my neighbors put the Penitentiary in the middle of water with barbed wire fence around it. Of course I don't have the penitentiary yet anyway, just using that as an example of something I liked.
  • Shelleys20
    110 posts
    edited January 2013
    Happy to help, I presumed that's what you meant, it can be useful sometimes such with the Mayan calendar as I couldn't work out where to put it so seeing what others had done was really useful to me. Also it's quite nice when you spot an aspect of your town in a friends as it means others think your town looks good
  • edited January 2013
    I completely gutted my town and redesigning with a mix of strategy 2 and 3 above.
  • jehenyen
    129 posts
    edited January 2013
    I tend to come up with an idea for a certain area or feature and build around the idea. When looking at my town, it is probably obvious which buildings I haven't had an idea for yet. I do try to keep similar buildings together so when I redesign it is usually one section at a time instead of a massive, complete redesign.
  • Chibihalo
    376 posts
    edited January 2013
    Xarone wrote:
    Sorry, noob questions coming:

1) You mentioned a "farming design," what does this mean? Just putting (for example) a bunch of brown houses in a row?

2) What is the proper etiquette if I visit a neighbors Springfield and like something they did in it? Am I allowed to use their idea or it considered a no-no?

EDIT: Nevermind the first question, I just saw another thread and see that I was right.

For number two I'd say if you see something you like it's okay to incorporate parts of it into your overall town design. For example, if they set up a great looking playground area in their park space where they have their Mensa gazebo it's okay to take that idea and expand on it or change upon it a little as long as you're not copying the exact placement of every last detail of their town.
  • A_Bad_Exampl3
    916 posts
    edited January 2013
    I've been working on it for several weeks.

I've got all the land, and was tired of how the characters roamed where they wanted instead of following the roads.

And I liked what Moops did with his characters. So I erased my roads, except for a few squares. And figured out where everyone roamed on their own, as well as what they will normally walk around or through.

And have been building around that.

Interesting note, if you have a large brick wall, some characters will walk through it. Others will walk along it until come to a joint where he bricks won't join together and go through there.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!