EA Forums - Banner

What's it like to battle something you thought never existed?

Prev1
emmcee1
8388 posts Member
Depression is a * mate. Some people don't show signs. (That being said not all depression has signs to look for). Take Robin Williams for example a fantastic actor always entertaining people it was only when he died we found out he'd been battling it. Football manager Gary Speed doing great for Wales then out of the blue took his own life. I know it's hard people not talking about their problems but if people opened up then their loved ones can help more. I also think that we should be educated more so we can spot signs early and help more before it gets too late.

Replies

• emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Depression is a * mate. Some people don't show signs. (That being said not all depression has signs to look for). Take Robin Williams for example a fantastic actor always entertaining people it was only when he died we found out he'd been battling it. Football manager Gary Speed doing great for Wales then out of the blue took his own life. I know it's hard people not talking about their problems but if people opened up then their loved ones can help more. I also think that we should be educated more so we can spot signs early and help more before it gets too late.

Absolutely and it comes on all of a sudden like a sunny day all of sudden covered by black clouds.
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Sorry to hear you've been going through all this Emmcee :( depression really can destroy lives. Unfortunately it's still a pretty taboo subject for some reason.
  • nick012345678900
    2272 posts
    edited February 2016
    Your right Juliet that's why I said this should be talked about more often and people should be educated more in Being able to help. Am not saying in school cos that's too young but maybe we could read more information so that we can help more.
  • bobbythesponge
    83 posts
    edited February 2016
    Not sure I would have shared this with strangers on a forum but it may help given it seems many regular posters here also are suffering (lots of threads like this). Don't trap yourself online like so many do when depressed but rather be strong for yourself and your family by overcoming these thoughts and trying a slow approach to getting back out there. You love formula one - how about taking a friend or family member to a race? Maybe English class to improve yourself. The moment you hit the pills is the moment you lose. Good luck.
  • eliansukke180
    18121 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Could you be more disrespectful?

Emmcee is no stranger. Feel free to pm anytime you want a chat, buddy. You can have my email if you want as well. These thing really suck. Wish you all the best, man.
  • RMVancleav710
    3531 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Could you be more disrespectful?

Emmcee is no stranger. Feel free to pm anytime you want a chat, buddy. You can have my email if you want as well. These thing really suck. Wish you all the best, man.

what Elian said!! sometimes you just need to vent, im a master at venting...Depression really blows, and I just found out some crappy news from the doctor the other day that has just made me start realizing I need to reevaluate on whats important in life right now....I can already tell theres going to be more down days then up and for once I don't feel comfortable talking about things....But Emmcee you have friends on here that you can talk to and were all here for you and you want to talk about it....You go for it!!!
    crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56
  • moxxee
    7716 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    It's a scary thing, Emmcee, but if you get a good support system going, you will do much better. :)

Sometimes all it takes is a few words of encouragement to help us carry on.
  • suetopia
    4219 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    There are a lot of people who lack understanding of this issue. The more people talk about it openly, the more knowledgable people will become.

Stay strong, my friend. You are a good guy and I'm really sorry to hear you are going through all of this.
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Not sure I would have shared this with strangers on a forum but it may help given it seems many regular posters here also are suffering (lots of threads like this). Don't trap yourself online like so many do when depressed but rather be strong for yourself and your family by overcoming these thoughts and trying a slow approach to getting back out there. You love formula one - how about taking a friend or family member to a race? Maybe English class to improve yourself. The moment you hit the pills is the moment you lose. Good luck.

Said by someone who doesn't know what depression is. For a lot of people depression is caused purely because their brains aren't producing enough of certain chemicals, and those pills-kick start the production again. Not taking them in cases like that can be far more damaging.
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    It's just so powerful how it just comes on. I recently went to an event that was hosted for depression sufferers and it opened my eyes with just how many suffer from it. Just talking to people you have never met with the same issue really put the first brick in place for my rebuild. My partner has helped a lot but the one person who still doesn't know about it is my mother, as she is part of the whole issue.
  • RMVancleav710
    3531 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Why was elian and I'd posts deleted?
  • SakuraNeko08
    3531 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Why was elian and I'd posts deleted?
    Probably because a certain post was deleted and you both might have quoted it. It is wasn't against your posts in particular.
    There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way. Thich Nhat Hanh

• RMVancleav710
    3531 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Stupid troll again?
  • susanmtate32
    372 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    As a long term sufferer of Depression and Anxiety, I only wish more people understood, and I only understand to well how crap it is.

I'm forever trying to explain what's going on in my head. Explaining a mental health problem is just as tiring as the mental health problem I think any way. How are you meant to explain something that you don't even understand yourself?

I'm not being awkward or unsociable, I'm being the only version of me that I know how to be.
  • susanmtate32
    372 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    emmcee1 wrote:

Absolutely and it comes on all of a sudden like a sunny day all of sudden covered by black clouds.

This is the part I find the most difficult to live with and explain. How one minute I can be happy and the very next second I'm a shadow of myself.
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    As a long term sufferer of Depression and Anxiety, I only wish more people understood, and I only understand to well how crap it is.

I'm forever trying to explain what's going on in my head. Explaining a mental health problem is just as tiring as the mental health problem I think any way. How are you meant to explain something that you don't even understand yourself?

I'm not being awkward or unsociable, I'm being the only version of me that I know how to be.

Exactly,very well said.
  • susanmtate32
    372 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    emmcee1 wrote:

Exactly,very well said.

If you ever wanted to have a chat about how your feeling, feel free to drop me a line. It sometimes helps to talk to someone away from the situation.
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    emmcee1 wrote:

Exactly,very well said.

If you ever wanted to have a chat about how your feeling, feel free to drop me a line. It sometimes helps to talk to someone away from the situation.

Yeah thanks for that but it's always talking about the same thing you know what I mean and it's hard to explain just how you feel but one thing is for sure you feel like crap. There's no mental stimulation for anything.
  • susanmtate32
    372 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    emmcee1 wrote:
    emmcee1 wrote:

Exactly,very well said.

Yeah thanks for that but it's always talking about the same thing you know what I mean and it's hard to explain just how you feel but one thing is for sure you feel like crap. There's no mental stimulation for anything.

Yeah I completely get that. I've had 3 rounds of CBT (Cognitive behaviour therapy) as I can't have antidepressants as I have awful side effects with them, and I've just been referred for my 4th lot.

Now I'm open to any help I can get, my bad days are seriously dark. However even I can see CBT just isn't working for me, just talking about the same things and the same 'coping' techniques is not helping. If I turn down the therapy I don't want to get better. Just can't win and they don't listen. This is where I think the lack of understanding really comes into it.
  • 4junk3000
    5232 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I appreciate your bravery to discuss it.

Many don't want to talk/hear about it. Depression took my sister, and honestly it may get me at any time. Some days i think I'm in control, but like you said, the downward spiral is steep and fast. Suddenly I'm in a place i can't remove myself from. It's freaking scary how your own brain turns against you, and your concept of rational thought turns 180 degrees.

It's like falling from a ship into the black ocean on a moonless night. Instantly lost with no idea how to save oneself.

Tips: - use logic to overcome emotionally charged frustration. Literally ask yourself, "what would Spock do?"
    - don't give in to negativity. Step away from the source of frustration and revisit when logic has resumed control of your brain.
    - do more positive things to offset the negative influences on your life; restore the balance which makes you feel more "normal"
    - don't wait until you "feel ok enough" before doing something good. Instead, start the good thing, and allow it the chance to change your mood for you. This is a powerful trick to getting more done and feeling like it's YOU to decides your fate, not emotions beyond your control.

Finally, keep good people and even pets/animals around you.
    Good luck, one day at a time.
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!