EA Forums - Banner

Super Tuesday Reminder for US Voters

Prev1
:thumbup: I'll be glued to the TV next 24.

Replies

• direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited March 2016

I'm sure there is 24 hour coverage on the news channels. My primary for our state isn't for a while.
  • moxxee
    7717 posts Member
    edited March 2016

I'm sure there is 24 hour coverage on the news channels. My primary for our state isn't for a while.

Hmmm. I'm also pretty sure no one cares about what happens in our state. :lol:
  • IckabodSchrek
    5919 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    ^Yea, I'll be flipping between Fox & CNN
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    moxxee wrote:

That's not a bad thing really, it's the same here too. I was in Ohio once during an election year and 3 out of 4 commercials (TV or Radio) were political adds and it drove me nuts. I don't know how people in swing state deal with it and I feel sorry for them.
  • moxxee
    7717 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    moxxee wrote:

That's not a bad thing really, it's the same here too. I was in Ohio once during an election year and 3 out of 4 commercials (TV or Radio) were political adds and it drove me nuts. I don't know how people in swing state deal with it and I feel sorry for them.

That's true! I bet Iowa and NH feel like a pair of old shoes.

Only one presidential candidate bought airtime in this state. :mrgreen:
  • jukan00
    2319 posts Member
    edited March 2016

The DP caucus is this Saturday in your state, fyi. If you're interested.
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    jukan00 wrote:

The DP caucus is this Saturday in your state, fyi. If you're interested.

I'm aware. I'm going to go with my wife if they let me in. I just want to see what it's all about.
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    can someone explain something to me about this? As a Canadian our elections are very different and i have a question.

So from what i get the states are voting on who will be the republican or democratic presidential nominee.

what i don't get is what is to stop all the democrat supporters to vote for the republican candidate that they think they have the best shot to beat and vise versa?
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    can someone explain something to me about this? As a Canadian our elections are very different and i have a question.

So from what i get the states are voting on who will be the republican or democratic presidential nominee.

what i don't get is what is to stop all the democrat supporters to vote for the republican candidate that they think they have the best shot to beat and vise versa?

Good point! A similar thing happened in the UK last year. They were getting a new leader for the labour party (only actual members of the party could vote for who it was) but a newspaper who support the other side urged readers to sign up to become a Labour member just so they could vote for the person they thought wouldn't win in an election. I'm not entirely sure what happened with that actually!

Wonder how that works in this circumstance. :?
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    juliet603 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:

Good point! A similar thing happened in the UK last year. They were getting a new leader for the labour party (only actual members of the party could vote for who it was) but a newspaper who support the other side urged readers to sign up to become a Labour member just so they could vote for the person they thought wouldn't win in an election. I'm not entirely sure what happened with that actually!

So people have to say that they are either republican or democrat before the election? that is got to be the stupidest thing i ever heard. A s far as i am concerned what a person votes is nobody's business but that person.
    I don't understand why Americans make a lifelong commitment to a party. Where they will vote blindly for whoever the nominee is just because that is the party the support. In Canada most people don't say "I am Liberal or I am conservative" they say "I VOTED Liberal or I VOTED Conservative". Not a lifelong commitment but a decision that was made at that particular time based on who is running and their stances on the issues.
  • jukan00
    2319 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:

During primary season only people registered to the party can vote in that party's primary. So only a registered republican vote in the republican primary and only a democrat can vote in the democrat's primary.

And if you're a registered Independent- you get no vote in a primary. At all.

"Democracy"

• MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    jukan00 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:

During primary season only people registered to the party can vote in that party's primary. So only a registered republican vote in the republican primary and only a democrat can vote in the democrat's primary.

"Democracy"

That is the stupidest thing i ever heard.
  • jukan00
    2319 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:

"Democracy"

You mean you don't think the political views of 300 million people can be summed up by two (often indistinguishable) political parties?!?!?!?!!??
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    juliet603 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:

So people have to say that they are either republican or democrat before the election? that is got to be the stupidest thing i ever heard. A s far as i am concerned what a person votes is nobody's business but that person.
    I don't understand why Americans make a lifelong commitment to a party. Where they will vote blindly for whoever the nominee is just because that is the party the support. In Canada most people don't say "I am Liberal or I am conservative" they say "I VOTED Liberal or I VOTED Conservative". Not a lifelong commitment but a decision that was made at that particular time based on who is running and their stances on the issues.

Oh no you don't have to declare which side you're on before you vote (over here), but only people who are actual members of the party can decide on who the leader is. But apparently joining to become a member isn't all that hard if the newspaper just told everyone to do it :?

edit: Joining a party over here costs a few pounds a month. All politics is corrupt 8)
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    jukan00 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:

"Democracy"

You mean you don't think the political views of 300 million people can be summed up by two (often indistinguishable) political parties?!?!?!?!!??

I think the registering thing is what is stupid. By the sounds of it anyone can just go say they are Republican or Democrat just to join the party and then can vote based on who they think is the least likely to win against the other party.
    Like lets say for example where a president is running for his second term like Obama recently did so there is no one running against him in the primaries right and he is automatically the Democratic Nominee.
    What is to stop every person in america from joining the republican party just to vote for the worse Republican candidate just to make it easier for the Democrats to win again?
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    You can switch parties, but I'm not sure how long it takes. I myself am a registered republican because the majority of the people in our state are republicans. This allows me to at least pick the lesser of evils in the state election and the primaries.

The presidential election is decided by electoral votes. Electoral votes are basically votes from representitives who consider what the people of the states want and vote from there. They don't have to vote the way the majority of the people vote, but they usually do. This was put in place to keep unqualified people from becoming president, i.e. Donald Trump. I just pray that the electoral college, people with electoral votes, do their job if Trump makes it to the Presidential Election.
  • HappyGamer73
    2397 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:

"Democracy"

I think the registering thing is what is stupid. By the sounds of it anyone can just go say they are Republican or Democrat just to join the party and then can vote based on who they think is the least likely to win against the other party.
    Like lets say for example where a president is running for his second term like Obama recently did so there is no one running against him in the primaries right and he is automatically the Democratic Nominee.
    What is to stop every person in america from joining the republican party just to vote for the worse Republican candidate just to make it easier for the Democrats to win again?

Actually, in Canada you can be a registered member of one of the parties as well. Who do you think determines who the candidates are in each riding? It's the members of the Riding Associations. It's not quite the same thing, but similar idea. Not really sure how the membership is regulated, though.
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:

You could do that, and some people do. However, you wouldn't be able to vote how you wanted in the local and state elections. Local and state elections are much more important, or they are to me anyways.
  • jukan00
    2319 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:

You could do that, and some people do. However, you wouldn't be able to vote how you wanted in the local and state elections. Local and state elections are much more important, or they are to me anyways.

So true. Real politics happen at a local level.

Yeah man. Politics. Crazy. I'm half Canadian, so come November might have to bust out the tuque and head north.
  • jukan00
    2319 posts Member
    edited March 2016

(((( I've also been wondering if maybe the U.S. could be accepted back into the Commonwealth?))))
    ((( any U.K. residents willing to make this happen? :lol::lol::lol: )))
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!