EA Forums - Banner

What is EA buttering us up for?

Prev1
ive played since the beginning and no donuts for land so far. there could be an update for Easter though?! possibly characters with "speculated' desert? donuts go quick
"I gave him a couple of blintzes to paint my fence but he never did it! "

Replies

• mystery2mi
    2352 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Maybe they meant dessert themed instead of desert themed? :lol:
  • geekbyknight
    656 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Everyone remove your tinfoil hats and disregard your conspiracy theories.

They're giving us "free" donuts so we have not quite enough to actually buy anything, resulting in us feeling okay about spending a few quid on them. "The first taste is free" is a time honoured sales technique tradition.
  • petehd14
    2767 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Everyone remove your tinfoil hats and disregard your conspiracy theories.

They're giving us "free" donuts so we have not quite enough to actually buy anything, resulting in us feeling okay about spending a few quid on them. "The first taste is free" is a time honoured sales technique tradition.

Exactly. When you open up the store you have a sea of pink, and underneath it says "Ends in __ days" and those 5 donuts are not going to buy you anything.
  • snowyriver32
    1528 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I share the OP's opinion.

I am both curious and anxious over the fact that donuts have been so easy to get. We used to only get them through leveling up or leveling till the bar turned colors if we were max level already.

These days its raining donuts and we can get this premium currency with quite a bit of ease.
    There has to be more than meets the eye behind all this.

Not that im complaining or anything..just being trying to read into what may be the root cause and how this year is going to play out :D
  • doh1886
    916 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I share the OP's opinion.

I am both curious and anxious over the fact that donuts have been so easy to get. We used to only get them through leveling up or leveling till the bar turned colors if we were max level already.

These days its raining donuts and we can get this premium currency with quite a bit of ease.
    There has to be more than meets the eye behind all this.

Not that im complaining or anything..just being trying to read into what may be the root cause and how this year is going to play out :D

They are adapting to get new customers plus it's a carrot to keep the current customers.

Think of it as a reward for your loyalty.
  • amsprink134
    133 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    mystery2mi wrote:

Haha!!!! I agree with geekbyknight though. I keep thinking that I'm rolling in free bonuts from the current event, but I've probably gotten 60 so far ... which can buy me a hot tub. And, I've decided that in honor of my b-day in a couple weeks, I'm spending half a boatload on stuff that's normally in the store but I keep putting off buying due to shiny, limited time items. I think this plan is working, EA.
  • 4junk3000
    5232 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    It's still relatively few, compared to how many are needed for anything of significance.

You're just used to getting so very few in the past.

Which was a ridiculously low amount, so low that it was offensive, like getting a penny for a tip.
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • hbird999
    70 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Maybe the desert theme is a Passover event? Homeroes wandering the desert and parting the squidport?
  • chrisdirai146
    376 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I don't know. Maybe a gold whale for 300 donuts is coming... EA likes to offer us tacky gold things that add little value. But gold makes everything better right?
  • DrumminBeard
    182 posts
    edited March 2016
    4junk3000 wrote:
    You're just used to getting so very few in the past.

Which was a ridiculously low amount, so low that it was offensive, like getting a penny for a tip.

Yeah. When I first got into this game, I was shocked at how hard it was to get a useful amount of donuts. Especially considering how they kinda bait brand-new players into spending their early-won donuts on decorations they'll later regret buying, when they burn through a few dozen levels and see a variety of 120+ donut premium characters added to their store. It would take like 3 months to get that many. Only after you hit max XP/FP level did the donuts really start to appear with any regularity.

I'm loving this new setup. I'm buying stuff I had thought I'd have to wait months or years to obtain. I'm sort of giddy at the amount of cool stuff we have available to us, now that I can afford it. I must've gotten something like 250 donuts during this event; between Daily Challenges, Railyard, friend visits, Find Maggie, and High Roller bonuses.

This translates to more interest and involvement with my town design. I'm eager to see it's going to look like a year from now.
  • barryriddl474
    4814 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm nervous... this is way too many free donuts. Why do I feel like the much anticipated 'desert' themed event coming is going to have us paying back all those free donuts for small patches of precious dirt??? :(

Im not complaining just concerned!

jms0BTJ.gif
  • chrisdirai146
    376 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm nervous... this is way too many free donuts. Why do I feel like the much anticipated 'desert' themed event coming is going to have us paying back all those free donuts for small patches of precious dirt??? :(

Im not complaining just concerned!

jms0BTJ.gif

Legend! Wow! Not sure how many people here know that one... Good choice!!!
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited March 2016

Agreed.
  • anaquarind
    1492 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm nervous... this is way too many free donuts.

I know what comes next. First EA gives me lots of free donuts... then it tells me it can't see me anymore, and that it wants to see other players. Then EA tells me it's "them" not me! Why EA, Why?! It's because you think I look fat, isn't it?!?
    Always looking to add active forum members! But please PM me first.
  • nick012345678900
    2272 posts
    edited March 2016
    My take on it is that people were moaning that it was hard trying to get more donuts so EA came up with the idea of giving us more donuts to keep us happy. Ok granted its still not enough to buy a decent premium item but it's a start. Probably also to get people to take the plunge and go premium to get more. Whatever the reason behind it just be happy your getting some free ones instead of non at all.
  • Lee3472
    294 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    mystery2mi wrote:

I double checked the spelling because I thought that too
  • psuchad
    66 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    It's all about micro transactions. If the average user has a handful of donuts and a 300 donut item is released, it is unlikely that they will pay $20.00 for it. If they have 280 donuts, they would be much more likely to pay a quick $2.00.

I see it as a way to force smaller more frequent transactions rather than infrequent large payments. The items are usually time limited. You will be more likely to quickly pay a couple of dollars if you only have five days to decide. If you have to a lot for the item, chances are you will pass.
  • billdoors1533
    303 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    It makes me feel uneasy as well. I preferred the status quo where I struggled to get the odd morsel but I knew where I was not that I am refusing donuts of course :lol:
  • ZennGlenn
    1656 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    53855799_zpsh0jh169e.jpg
    homer-butter_zps6gzvk7u8.gif
  • boldbhoy
    252 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    1 donut per square of new space I can live with but realistically I don't see donuts for land yet!!!!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!