EA Forums - Banner

Boaty McBoatface

it is

Replies

• MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    i cant believe they have a contests to name the boat and "Boaty McBoatface" wins and now they wont let it keep the name.
    what a waste of time and money to create the contests if they are just going to pick their own name anyways
  • Annathewicked
    4712 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    This is prime example of Sore Loser
    They didn't get a name they like - So they negate the contest.

GO BOATY!
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • NickyD841984
    2623 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Right what happened was we had a ship created and then a contest was made to come up with a name for it. As a prank someone suggested the name boaty mcboatface which cought on as a joke. It did win the contest but it wasn't going to be called that eventually. Thank goodness.
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    why can't a boat have a silly name?

it is not offensive to anyone or anything and just makes people smile at the name.
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:
    Right what happened was we had a ship created and then a contest was made to come up with a name for it. As a prank someone suggested the name boaty mcboatface which cought on as a joke. It did win the contest but it wasn't going to be called that eventually. Thank goodness.

Why not?

i would love to serve on the RSS Boaty McBoatface
  • NickyD841984
    2623 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    HomerND84 wrote:

Why not?

It was our government who had the last word and these are *holes. Believe me.
  • Annathewicked
    4712 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Although the SS Boaty McBoatFace went down with 34 people onboard does sound terrible.......................
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    HomerND84 wrote:

Why not?

it didn't just win it had 4 times as many votes as second place
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Although the SS Boaty McBoatFace went down with 34 people onboard does sound terrible.......................

that is a tough one

it will sound funny and people will smile about people dying because Boaty McBoatface is funny

it will always be knows as Boaty McBoatface now anyways no matter what it says on the side
  • NickyD841984
    2623 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    HomerND84 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    HomerND84 wrote:

Why not?

it didn't just win it had 4 times as many votes as second place
    It was an embarrassing idea by our stupid government they didn't think a name like that get through so in the end they have the power to change the name. It's in a long list of stupid things our government has done and won't be the last.
  • Annathewicked
    4712 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:

it will always be knows as Boaty McBoatface now anyways no matter what it says on the side

Indeed it shall - I would never think different of it at this point

HomerND84 wrote:
    It was an embarrassing idea by our stupid government they didn't think a name like that get through so in the end they have the power to change the name. It's in a long list of stupid things our government has done and won't be the last.

But there was no harm in leaving the name. It's silly, so what. The anger is over the change and the lying about a contest- I bet if they had left it there would be little complaining about a cute, silly name. But announcing a contest you had no plan on letting people pick the winner of the way you advertised it- its wrong. Contests aren't always won by who YOU want to win - live with the outcome, don't be a bad sport and call it all off because your not winning the contest
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    It's so crappy they won't give it that name, it makes everyone I know (and everyone else from the sound of it) smile.

Why do a contest then cheat the winners out of the win? Not like it's called the S.S ❤️❤️❤️❤️ or something, it's harmless :roll:
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Sorta reminiscent of the brouhaha back in the 80s over the choice of mascot at UC Santa Cruz. The student body had chosen via referendum the banana slug, while the university president thought that “inappropriate” and wanted the sea lion. Fortunately, the students eventually prevailed.
  • mandiepaxton
    254 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    i cant believe they have a contests to name the boat and "Boaty McBoatface" wins and now they wont let it keep the name.
    what a waste of time and money to create the contests if they are just going to pick their own name anyways

Totally agree

Mands xxx
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited April 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    ge5366240422566077933.jpg?height=285&width=428

I was wondering what i was going to see when i opened this thread being the title, i was quite pleasantly surprised :lol: Nice photo :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • Entexia
    62 posts
    edited April 2016
    Sorta reminiscent of the brouhaha back in the 80s over the choice of mascot at UC Santa Cruz. The student body had chosen via referendum the banana slug, while the university president thought that “inappropriate” and wanted the sea lion. Fortunately, the students eventually prevailed.
    Who wouldn't want a banana slug as a mascot?!?
  • tappedout1996
    3045 posts
    edited April 2016
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    HomerND84 wrote:

Why not?

There's my dream job right there! :mrgreen:
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Entexia wrote:
    Who wouldn't want a banana slug as a mascot?!?

Well, it’s certainly unique.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!