EA Forums - Banner

Restrictions on placing Dirt

mwdalton
11545 posts Member
mwdalton wrote:
Yay! We have dirt! Fancy, store-bought dirt, the kind of stuff Moe just can't compete with! I'm really happy about this development, as it's something the player community has been asking to be implemented for a long time. :D

It seems there's some limitations on placing it though, I'm guessing there's some buildings and decorations that can't sit on dirt...anyone got any tips for that?

It's a glitch on the new land. If that's what you mean.

Replies

  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    mwdalton wrote:
    Yay! We have dirt! Fancy, store-bought dirt, the kind of stuff Moe just can't compete with! I'm really happy about this development, as it's something the player community has been asking to be implemented for a long time. :D

    It seems there's some limitations on placing it though, I'm guessing there's some buildings and decorations that can't sit on dirt...anyone got any tips for that?

    It's a glitch on the new land. If that's what you mean.

    No, I seem to be able to place dirt on the new land fine, just when I go back to incorporate dirt into my town, some items just don't seem to let me put dirt under them.
  • johncolombo
    11497 posts Senior Moderator
    edited April 2016
    mwdalton wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:
    Yay! We have dirt! Fancy, store-bought dirt, the kind of stuff Moe just can't compete with! I'm really happy about this development, as it's something the player community has been asking to be implemented for a long time. :D

    It seems there's some limitations on placing it though, I'm guessing there's some buildings and decorations that can't sit on dirt...anyone got any tips for that?

    It's a glitch on the new land. If that's what you mean.

    No, I seem to be able to place dirt on the new land fine, just when I go back to incorporate dirt into my town, some items just don't seem to let me put dirt under them.

    you can? odd. but yay!
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • geekbyknight
    655 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    I can place it under two thirds Springfield dump. And when I try to put dirt down, then cross it with pavement, ALL the dirt vanishes. Why do they limit it like this?
  • Entexia
    62 posts
    edited April 2016
    Three things which I couldn't place the new dirt under are the canyon, Springfield mountains and the tyre fire....I wasn't sure if this was a glitch or meant to be?!
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Entexia wrote:
    Three things which I couldn't place the new dirt under are the canyon, Springfield mountains and the tyre fire....I wasn't sure if this was a glitch or meant to be?!

    Yeah, that's what I mean, there are some odd choices to block dirt placement. Hopefully it's just a coding issue, and they'll get around to extending the items we can place dirt under.
  • Entexia
    62 posts
    edited April 2016
    mwdalton wrote:
    Entexia wrote:
    Three things which I couldn't place the new dirt under are the canyon, Springfield mountains and the tyre fire....I wasn't sure if this was a glitch or meant to be?!

    Yeah, that's what I mean, there are some odd choices to block dirt placement. Hopefully it's just a coding issue, and they'll get around to extending the items we can place dirt under.
    I hope so, I never really liked the abrupt end to the canyon so I was hoping to use the new dirt to soften that a bit and add a more smoother transition to the items next to it...
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    mwdalton wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:
    Yay! We have dirt! Fancy, store-bought dirt, the kind of stuff Moe just can't compete with! I'm really happy about this development, as it's something the player community has been asking to be implemented for a long time. :D

    It seems there's some limitations on placing it though, I'm guessing there's some buildings and decorations that can't sit on dirt...anyone got any tips for that?

    It's a glitch on the new land. If that's what you mean.

    No, I seem to be able to place dirt on the new land fine, just when I go back to incorporate dirt into my town, some items just don't seem to let me put dirt under them.

    you can? odd. but yay!

    Whoops, I spoke too soon, I think I had a couple blocks left over on the far right corner from the last land release, so I was placing dirt on that, but yes, I can see that I can't extend further, now. I'm sure that will be fixed soon, though.
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Entexia wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:
    Entexia wrote:
    Three things which I couldn't place the new dirt under are the canyon, Springfield mountains and the tyre fire....I wasn't sure if this was a glitch or meant to be?!

    Yeah, that's what I mean, there are some odd choices to block dirt placement. Hopefully it's just a coding issue, and they'll get around to extending the items we can place dirt under.
    I hope so, I never really liked the abrupt end to the canyon so I was hoping to use the new dirt to soften that a bit and add a more smoother transition to the items next to it...

    Of course! That sort of thing is really what made people want dirt in the first place! :)
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts
    edited April 2016
    So is it only my game or has everyone experiencing this: You cant place the dirt roads on the new section of land?
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    So is it only my game or has everyone experiencing this: You cant place the dirt roads on the new section of land?

    Yeah, seems to be happening with everyone.
  • drumnman
    1475 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    So is it only my game or has everyone experiencing this: You cant place the dirt roads on the new section of land?

    Happening here too.
  • LostCauze-NL
    315 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm hoping they'll patch this issue quick. Not being able to place something like the Christmas Totem on dirt, must be a bug.
  • LPLeach
    267 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    I also noticed that if I have a dirt road, then place dirt where the road is, it wipes out the road. Have to put the dirt down first, _then_ place the road over it.
    Status:Level 151
  • Snakeyees
    2329 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    It's ridiculous it's like every time EA or whoever designed this game releases features they do everything **** it's like they don't ever pay attention to detail and it's so infuriating that you can't make your Springfield look the way you want to because of these Lame restrictions

    So far I can't place dirt under cletus's Farm, a campfire, Springfield lake, Uncle Moe's petting zoo, pumpkin patches, the windmill from Clash of Clans event, junk car that Nelson shoots his BB's at, spooky grove of trees. it's ridiculous and that's just a short list let's not even mention the green little piece of land that is right next to the sidewalk because the dirt doesn't even fill it in and it looks so tacky.
  • GamerGD3
    3029 posts New member
    edited April 2016
    Snakeyees wrote:
    So far I can't place dirt under cletus's Farm, a campfire, Springfield lake, Uncle Moe's petting zoo, pumpkin patches, the windmill from Clash of Clans event, junk car that Nelson shoots his BB's at, spooky grove of trees. it's ridiculous and that's just a short list let's not even mention the green little piece of land that is right next to the sidewalk because the dirt doesn't even fill it in and it looks so tacky.

    I think it depends on the design of the item (in some cases - I know there are exceptions). But if the object includes lots of grass with it - then typically it ONLY goes on grass - i.e. that car Nelson shoots bbs at. Some of the buildings that have large portions of grass behave this way too.

    The real way to do it is to not hardcode any of that into the objects so they can be placed on pavement, dirt or grass. Even onto the boardwalk tiles. I think it looks tacky when Krusty Burger has the grass built in, but typically goes on pavement. Same thing with the church, it gets hard to align the grass and pavement.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.