EA Forums - Banner

Next CG - Opinions Needed

Prev13
I would have no issues with any of them, but I am wondering if anonymous names would really work. I think that people would be able to figure out many of the players. It would seem to only be an advantage to new players or people that don't post.

Replies

• SakuraNeko08
    3531 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I'll say yes to all.
    There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way. Thich Nhat Hanh

• barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    There is the danger of knowing how a player posts and speaks, so I think a rule perhaps keeping colloquialisms and using standard English as far as possible would need to be imposed. The idea was brought up by a couple of people, because they games were getting stale after a bit - everyone knew each other's play style. I think on the forum set up I can remove time stamps also - which could help in keeping identities secret. It doesn't really matter if someone has suspicions about the identity of a player though - it's always going to be speculation & the real aim is to take out the opposing teams
  • Bukka|keSamu
    620 posts
    edited June 2016
    I'll say yes to all.

I second that.
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I'd really like another old fashion style game! :D As for being anonymous, it doesn't bother me but I think it might be obvious who a lot of people are like meinaz said. On the other hand at least newer players wouldn't have to feel like they're being ignored for older players as they sometimes are at the moment. That's one thing I always think is unfair! (We were all new at some point :) )

Edit: ignore most of that - you already answered most of it before I hit the post button :lol:
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    That's a good point Juliet - I didn't think that every player would have a more equal voice. Please bring up any concerns you have, it might be obvious but I might have looked over it.

Can we count you in for the game then, Bukka|ke? :D official sign ups will probably be around the 20th/25th :)
  • suetopia
    4231 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Although I don't play the CG's, I do enjoy reading them.

Moving the game to another forum has pros and cons to it:

Pros:
    -troll can't post in it/pm the players to try to upset the game
    -less distractions (see above point)

Cons:
    -people interested in seeing the gameplay/story aren't able to
    -potential future players don't get to see the way the game works

A way to get around the cons - you set it up so that non players can see, but not post (if you do this you would probably need to set up a new forum separate from the one for eliminated players to avoid future problems)

There are probably more pros and cons, but those are the main ones that I can think of right now.

Again - I enjoy reading the CG's, and I'm sure there are others that do too - so I would really like to be able to see them. I will completely understand if you feel the need to move it outweighs the cons, tho.
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    suetopia wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

A way to get around the cons - you set it up so that non players can see, but not post (if you do this you would probably need to set up a new forum separate from the one for eliminated players to avoid future problems)

There are probably more pros and cons, but those are the main ones that I can think of right now.

Again - I enjoy reading the CG's, and I'm sure there are others that do too - so I would really like to be able to see them. I will completely understand if you feel the need to move it outweighs the cons, tho.
    Thanks Sue, that's a good point. If anyone wants to join the forum but they aren't playing, they can sign up with their normal user name - they'll have access to the spoiler post (AKA dead man's party) which is available for dead players and spectators, and the game thread :D
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    suetopia wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

Yeah you could have it so the forum itself isn't password protected do anyone can view it, but only people who are playing can actually sign up to speak or something!
  • lynnmckenz82
    2613 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Would you be against playing under an anonymous screen same (i.e. Player 1 or a randomly generated pseudonym by the GL)?

Jeff and I would totally be down with that. :twisted:

Seriously--I don't object to any of those proposals. In fact, I would kind of like to get back to a traditional CG.
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Would you be against playing under an anonymous screen same (i.e. Player 1 or a randomly generated pseudonym by the GL)?

Seriously--I don't object to any of those proposals. In fact, I would kind of like to get back to a traditional CG.

:mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Make sure to tell him to sign up :wink:

@Sue I've been playing around with the settings, and it's currently configured that:
    A 'guest' who is not logged in can see only the game thread and not post;
    A 'player' (alive) who is logged in can only see the game thread and can post in it;
    A 'deceased' (player who has died) who is logged in can see the game thread, dead man's party thread but can only post in DMP. For handiness sake anyone that wants to find out the roles of villains can ask me through PM here and I'll authorise their account on the other board, and they can be added to the deceased group.

Edit: I'm glad everyone so far is down with logging in to another board. I thought there would be more objection :-)
  • ForumNerds
    2465 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    On the other hand ... it only takes a few minutes to create a new forum identity in THIS forum.
    Just ask "ForumNerds" and "annettemarc".

In our current game, we have almost 20,000 views. (Of course, 18,000 of those were Lynn and I, chortling, but ... well ... you know ... lurkers. )

Just sayin' :)

• barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I contemplated it Annette but I remember when we pranked Jae at another board, I used two accounts on the same forum, and the amount of times I posted under 'Barry' instead of the new prank account, I'm extremely surprised she didn't catch me 8) :lol: I think a couple of slip ups would happen if we hosted it here and the anonymity of the players would be compromised fairly quickly, plus I have administrative and moderator permissions, making cheating and trolling a little tighter.

Would you find it difficult/time consuming visiting two forums for the duration of the game? :(

Edit: Another reason I picked a freeforum over this forum was that I planned on using DMP either way, and I think it would be easier to control everything in one place
  • ForumNerds
    2465 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks Sue, that's a good point. If anyone wants to join the forum but they aren't playing, they can sign up with their normal user name - they'll have access to the spoiler post (AKA dead man's party) which is available for dead players and spectators, and the game thread :D

That would be an AWESOME idea for lurkers to be able to see the deadmansparty thread, except ... well ... blue hens ... I can visualize a thread popping up on THIS forum with a non-cg-related title (like: UPDATE! Downloading now on iOS! ) that makes THIS forum members open it, and with info galore from a lurker to the deadmansparty forum.

But the idea of everyone except the players see the deadmansparty forum is simply brilliant!!! (If not for the willingness of certain trolls to blow up our games. ) :evil: :evil: :evil:

Also, I think many of our lurkers watch our games simply BECAUSE it's so convenient. They're already here looking for game information, and they don't need to go to another forum to follow the game. :?:
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    ForumNerds wrote:

That would be an AWESOME idea for lurkers to be able to see the deadmansparty thread, except ... well ... blue hens ... I can visualize a thread popping up on THIS forum with a non-cg-related title (like: UPDATE! Downloading now on iOS! ) that makes THIS forum members open it, and with info galore from a lurker to the deadmansparty forum.

But the idea of everyone except the players see the deadmansparty forum is simply brilliant!!! (If not for the willingness of certain trolls to blow up our games. ) :evil: :evil: :evil:

Also, I think many of our lurkers watch our games simply BECAUSE it's so convenient. They're already here looking for game information, and they don't need to go to another forum to follow the game. :?:

That's a good point... Maybe don't let the lurkers into DMP only the game forum :? Brandon had his game completely ruined by that.
  • suetopia
    4231 posts Member
    edited June 2016

:mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Make sure to tell him to sign up :wink:

@Sue I've been playing around with the settings, and it's currently configured that:
    A 'guest' who is not logged in can see only the game thread and not post;
    A 'player' (alive) who is logged in can only see the game thread and can post in it;
    A 'deceased' (player who has died) who is logged in can see the game thread, dead man's party thread but can only post in DMP. For handiness sake anyone that wants to find out the roles of villains can ask me through PM here and I'll authorise their account on the other board, and they can be added to the deceased group.

Edit: I'm glad everyone so far is down with logging in to another board. I thought there would be more objection :-)

Sounds good. I think it is probably best that non players/guests can't post/don't have to sign up for the forum - that way it controls who can and can't post (less distractions for the actual players of the game, but still allows the non-players to follow along)

:D
  • ForumNerds
    2465 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I will definitely play no matter WHERE the game takes place, barry.

(I'll need to stop posting in parentheses, though. And make really short posts. Like Hemmingway. It will be torture. )

I'll create my account in freeforums with the username "barrymcerlea". :mrgreen:
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    ForumNerds wrote:

Oops - when I meant spectators I was referring to those who had signed up but were not playing, otherwise the actual players would have access to DMP before they log into their accounts. I should have made that clear.

I think I would require the spectator to PM me here before they try to make an account (I have to authorise their account before they can see anything) so I know it's them. We all know eachother and trust eachother here (...I hope that trust is well placed!) :D

Edit: I think a lot of the fun will be trying to examine the other users' syntax and keeping track of who you think is who :mrgreen: it doesn't add any advantage to the game - sort of like a silly side goal :wink:
  • suetopia
    4231 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I should add - I don't think it's a good idea to allow non players access to deadman's party. For reasons previously listed (would allow for someone to ruin the game).

EDIT: Annette has brought up another good point - that so many people lurk/read the game here because it is convenient and they are already here. So if the game is moved it may have much less of an audience.
  • SakuraNeko08
    3531 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    A good thing about the freeforums one, if there are teams of more than two people, you can do group PMs.
    There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way. Thich Nhat Hanh

• Taco_BeIIe
    2376 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    TBH I'm not likely to join any more forums...

I don't think it's a terrible idea, it could be a very interesting twist trying to figure out who belongs to the 'new' user names. ....

I'll miss not following along though
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!