EA Forums - Banner

Decorations Question/Suggestion - Would this help?

I so want this!! Especially being able to build our own and merge, that would be nice. I am guessing it might be less taxing as one bigger item than four, but like you I am no expert.

I await someone to shatter your dreams as well.

Replies

• jchabotte
    63 posts
    edited January 2013
    I guess it would save space on the number of individual "sprites" in the programming code.
  • H1_ROADBLOK
    2884 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    jchabotte wrote:
    I guess it would save space on the number of individual "sprites" in the programming code.

It would. More sprites need more computing power.
  • JuliusGulius
    625 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    I once asked this same exact question, but it went absolutely nowhere.

I'd still very much like to know the answer! :P

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9069365.page
  • JuliusGulius
    625 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    "Sprites," eh? 'twould explain why things seem more crashy when a lot of fences or smaller items are being used (e.g. pumpkins for letters).
  • H1_ROADBLOK
    2884 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    "Sprites," eh? 'twould explain why things seem more crashy when a lot of fences or smaller items are being used (e.g. pumpkins for letters).

All individual objects on the screen are "sprites". They need to be processed and displayed. Doing so uses up they little amount of memory (ram) that these apple devices have.
  • JuliusGulius
    625 posts Member
    edited January 2013

All individual objects on the screen are "sprites". They need to be processed and displayed. Doing so uses up they little amount of memory (ram) that these apple devices have.

Yup, got that; different terminology for what I know as prims (I used to build and script 3-D items in a game called SL, so am familiar with the concept). Linking too many prims... er, sprites together could make an object/game-area unstable. I hadn't related that to this game though, until just now, d'oh! As Simpsons00001 suggested, it does sound as if tree clusters would be welcome additions.
  • H1_ROADBLOK
    2884 posts Member
    edited January 2013

Yup, got that; different terminology for what I know as prims (I used to build and script 3-D items in a game called SL, so am familiar with the concept). Linking too many prims... er, sprites together could make an object/game-area unstable. I hadn't related that to this game though, until just now, d'oh! As Simpsons00001 suggested, it does sound as if tree clusters would be welcome additions.

Cool!

Yes, the tree clusters would be a welcome thing. On the other hand, they would need to keep the individual trees as well, or it would make it difficult to decorate around these clusters.
  • JuliusGulius
    625 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    No doubt. :)
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited January 2013
    Tree clusters is a good idea :) but id rather EA did a major update that sorted all the crashing/stability issues so we could actually decorate how we like!! Thought that was the whole point of the game tbh lol Not having a pop just saying that would solve all the problems! :)
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • JuliusGulius
    625 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Oh, in the game I mentioned, almost all of the items I created were humor-related, so I did once create a huge, detailed hat (and costume) using the max linkable sprites. By wearing it, a person's avatar could destabilize (and sometimes crash) another person's game, just by visiting that person's area. It was hilarious. Especially when everyone was on mic. It was, by far, the most cursed at item I ever made.
  • Simpsons00001
    729 posts Member
    edited January 2013

Cool!

Yes, the tree clusters would be a welcome thing. On the other hand, they would need to keep the individual trees as well, or it would make it difficult to decorate around these clusters.

Great info. Thanks for learning me something! I think the multiple (2x,3x) fences and hedges would be the easiest to implement, and possibly just a row of 4 of each tree type. This seems like way too easy of an idea for them not have implemented. I know they probably don't want to clog up their decorations menu, but fences, hedges and trees are the most popular decorations, and it's not like people wouldn't use these things. I'd sell the majority of my singles and immediately replace them, and I don't think I'd be alone.

I don't expect the "merge" feature to be implemented anytime soon, but I have my long term dreams.
  • JuliusGulius
    625 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, the fences and hedges would definitely be the place to start. I don't think "long fence" and "long hedge" would take up *too* much space in the store. Something like 4x the length of each normal fence/hedge. If too many sprites really is the problem, with so many people complaining about crashes, I really don't see why EA didn't think this up themselves, and impliment such an easy fix pronto.
  • zuzupj
    1452 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    I would love a cluster of trees. Sometimes trying to get a group together leaves weird gaps because each tree takes up four spaces. I don't know if it would change the stability or not, but if it would then even more reason to have that decoration option.
  • mellytan
    1258 posts
    edited January 2013
    This would make redecorating less of a pain in the ****. :thumbup:

Good thinking! :D
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!