EA Forums - Banner

How much is too much land?

I'm at 11x11 and I experience a bit of crashing. It's not the worst, it's bearable and definitely playable. You just have to let yourself crash once and then go back in and it's normally fine. Might take 2 or 3 goes to assign all my characters tasks though. My town is pretty heavily decorated though and I play on an iPad 2 so maybe newer generations can handle it better, but I won't be expanding any more because it will likely make the game worse. So basically at 11x11 you'll experience mild crashing.

Replies

• sonny1618
    1543 posts New member
    edited January 2013
    To be honest I think it's the amount of decorations that cause instability more than amount of land purchased.
  • Herm412
    63 posts
    edited January 2013
    I kinda thought that Sonny. More land = more to decorate. Think ill try filling in what I have before I go nuts and end up with a lot of open space.
  • dougschoemer
    54 posts
    edited January 2013
    I'm at 13x12 now after spending a million bucks on a whole row of 13 plots a couple of weeks back. I now crash all the time on a new mini iPad. I have left a lot of the new land empty for a riverwalk kind of thing but have loads of decorations everywhere else. I played on an iPad 2 before xmas and never crashed, so I am blaming the latest big update. I also stubbornly refuse to store a bunch of decorations because I continue to believe EA may finally figure out how stupid it is that players like those here, the ones who care, are having to play the game at frustrating half-speed because of EA's issues.

Then again, I also believe The Rock will win an Oscar one day and K$sha is an underappreciated genius.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    I'm at 13x12 now after spending a million bucks on a whole row of 13 plots a couple of weeks back. I now crash all the time on a new mini iPad. I have left a lot of the new land empty for a riverwalk kind of thing but have loads of decorations everywhere else. I played on an iPad 2 before xmas and never crashed, so I am blaming the latest big update. I also stubbornly refuse to store a bunch of decorations because I continue to believe EA may finally figure out how stupid it is that players like those here, the ones who care, are having to play the game at frustrating half-speed because of EA's issues.

Then again, I also believe The Rock will win an Oscar one day and K$sha is an underappreciated genius.

LOL

I'm also at 13x12 and I almost never crash. But my town has suffered for it, there are almost no fences and very few leafy trees. I have the same devices that you have and haven't experienced any issues on either. However, the game cannot be played on the iPod Touch at all.

I've started putting stuff back out since I'm only playing about twice a day anyways. Figured as long as the crashing isn't too bad, I'll just deal with it because I'm tired of looking at all that white expanse.
  • Teasdale x
    9 posts
    edited January 2013
    I have all the land not had one crash, running on a iPhone 3GS never had any trouble. (UK)
  • Herm412
    63 posts
    edited January 2013
    Does the device you play on make much of a difference? I play on a iPhone 4 and rarely have issues.
  • weldon999
    101 posts
    edited January 2013
    I'm at 13x13 and playing on an iPad 1. I'm not having any crashing problems.
  • childeharr
    235 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    I also believe decorations (e.g. Trees, parking lots, benches, etc) contribute more to instability. I have a neighbor whose town is very big but never crashes my game, because he's got mostly houses and lots. The neighbor that ALWAYS crashes my game has a beautiful town, but it's got accessories galore. I started installing more trees in my town, then I remembered this might not be too good for my Tapped Out neighbors.
  • brenner_yes
    1156 posts
    edited January 2013
    the amount of land you need depends on how you play, if you like having everything crammed into 1 area then go for a smaller sf if u like a larger town with space and nice decorations then go for a larger one, but just beware of crashing with too many decorations
  • mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    I had upgraded to a 12 x 12 and did a redesign. Never crashed as an 11 x 11 and decently decorated, but minimal fences. With the upgrade to more land I went fence crazy, like 60+ iron fences, 250 wooden fences, 40+ barbed wire.....and I crashed every two minutes. I have removed all of the brown fence except what I put around the school, most of the iron fence that was additional to what I had and now I am stable again. I have even added more trees and I am going to try my luck today with populating some forest area.

So yeah it is the decorations and having more land is too enticing not to decorate.
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    mdfriend wrote:
    I had upgraded to a 12 x 12 and did a redesign. Never crashed as an 11 x 11 and decently decorated, but minimal fences. With the upgrade to more land I went fence crazy, like 60+ iron fences, 250 wooden fences, 40+ barbed wire.....and I crashed every two minutes. I have removed all of the brown fence except what I put around the school, most of the iron fence that was additional to what I had and now I am stable again. I have even added more trees and I am going to try my luck today with populating some forest area.

So yeah it is the decorations and having more land is too enticing not to decorate.

I have some description of fencing or hedging around almost every building. I also have a huge amount of flowers and shrubs, and yet, crashing is now only a minimal problem after I cut down a number of trees. There sadly does not appear to be one obvious and effective solution that the player can implement themselves.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.