EA Forums - Banner

We're on Fire again...

Oh no! That is awful. Stay safe!
Thinking of you.
Insanity Laughs. Under Pressure We’re Cracking.

Replies

• moxxee
    7717 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Yikes! Where is that located, more or less?
  • TwigletStyx
    1043 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    pichu2727 wrote:
    Oh no! That is awful. Stay safe!
    Thinking of you.

The fire is (hopefully) out for now, according to L.A.F.D. but your thoughts are truly appreciated by all, pichu.
    moxxee wrote:
    Yikes! Where is that located, more or less?

Basically a short hop away from Universal Hollywood, Mox.
  • ForumNerds
    2465 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm more terrified of fires than ANYTHING else. We had one up here in Santa Clarita last week, and once they get going in those dry hills, I go into a total panic because they can go out of control so easily. It was about five miles away, and headed in the other direction, but there was an evacuation of hundreds of homes over there ... and those firemen had a miserable time keeping it in check.

Firemen should get a bonus paid by the insurance companies -- calculated by taking a percentage of what the insurance companies SAVE by not having to pay out fire claims. Those homes are around $700,000 each, and there were 700 homes evacuated (and saved) ... My guess is that the insurance companies saved a BUNDLE of money due to those 1,200 firemen.

Yeah, I know. The firemen "know what they're signing up for". Cynics will say that they can always find something else to do. That's why firemen don't make demands like this one. But just because it WON'T happen doesn't mean it SHOULDN'T happen. Instead, we give them parades.
  • empathy77
    4187 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Be careful, and don't try to find any Pokemons there!
  • mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    empathy77 wrote:
    Be careful, and don't try to find any Pokemons there!

....they wouldn't, like, make fire Pokemon like Charmander and Ponyta occur around bushfire-prone areas...would they?

The Eucalyptus trees here in Australia love a good bushfire, the oil that the leaves exude into the air encourages them. I heard there's a lot of Eucalypts imported to California, and that's why the bushfires get bad there.
  • edited July 2016
    Stay safe, thinking of you during this troubled period in your life.
  • TwigletStyx
    1043 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    A rapidly growing brush fire (now +11,000-acres) has been raging through Sant Clarita all afternoon... :(

Please know that you & yours have been continually in my thoughts, Annette.
  • pichu2727
    354 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    This is awful. Be safe all. Hoping for rain for you to end the drought.
    Annette, thinking of you and your family.
    Please PM first.
  • TwigletStyx
    1043 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Many thanks for your kind words, pichu.

The fire continues to rage on, and has now consumed +22,000-acres & is only 10% contained.
  • notDepressed
    286 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    The ash made it down to Newport Beach & can't take my Lambo out!!
  • pichu2727
    354 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Many thanks for your kind words, pichu.

The fire continues to rage on, and has now consumed +22,000-acres & is only 10% contained.

I just saw this update. :( We are in a "drought" as well, but nothing like CA. A few small brush fires. Nothing like what you have. Still keeping all in my thoughts. Just be safe. Come onnnnn rain! The grass here is straw and crinkles when you step on it. Expecting our drought at least through October. I have never hoped for snow. This year I am. :? After not much last year I think there will be big issues without it this year. Then to top it off, there are hardly any places near me with town water, so worried about the well.
    Stay safe.
    Please PM first.
  • suetopia
    4231 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    :(

Hoping you stay safe, Twiglet! And you too, Annette!

And hoping that everyone who is located in the areas where wildfires are burning stay safe too!
  • notDepressed
    286 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    10,000 evacuated. Hope all is ok and worry about the animals.
  • pichu2727
    354 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Still hoping everyone is OK. Take care all.
    Thinking of you and sending at least a smile, hoping it helps a bit. :D

:D
    Please PM first.
  • ForumNerds
    2465 posts Member
    edited July 2016

Thank you. So far, the fire is not near us, and would need to move through a large expanse of residential areas to get here.

It's behavior is weird, though -- it was traveling North-east and South-west and South-east. Part of that is because of wind-shifts over the last few days, but not all of it. Traditionally, a fire favors traveling "up" a slope, and typically, fire travels away from the wind. In this fire, they're seeing situations where the blaze moves downhill and INTO the wind. That's why they are having such an impossible time containing it.

*/Begin political rant

What TICKS ME OFF is that Los Angeles County has been so short-sighted and tight-fisted in purchasing Super-Scoopers. We lease 2 every year from Canada, since their fire seasons are usually different than ours. To purchase a Super-Scooper would cost $26 million.

Our politicians use that figure as if it was some horrific burden -- and assure their constituents that they wouldn't dare ask the taxpayers to put out $26 MILLION dollars! For just ONE Super-Scooper! Gasp.

Los Angeles County has a freakin' population of 10 million (with 3.5 million households) ... They'd need to pay a ONE TIME cost of $5 PER HOUSEHOLD to purchase each Super-Scooper. Per HOUSEHOLD.

Just to give some perspective, here are some of the countries that OWN Super-Scoopers:
    Canada = 28.
    France = 12, and has 3 more on order.
    Italy = 19 (plus 3 more on order)
    Freakin' CROATIA (with a population of 4 million ) = 6

The United States, (with a population of 324 million) owns ZERO. Zip. Nada.
    United States Forest Service LEASES 1
    Los Angeles County (more than twice the population of Croatia) owns ZERO.
    San Diego LEASES 1

Each Super-Scooper would cost each man, woman and child in the United States a one-time cost of TEN CENTS. Or, if the US taxpayers are too cheap to do that, each Super-Scooper would cost each person in Los Angeles County $3.50

And our politicians are too freakin' cowardly to ask for $3.50 ... all the politicians do is scream and wail "35 MILLION dollars! We'll all be ruined!"

(Croatia. Six.)

end political rant*/

So, yeah, the fire is still out there. There's dry brush growing IN our river. Thank the Lord there's no Climate Change. (Excuse me while I go find my eyes. They've rolled out of my head.)
  • Annathewicked
    4713 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Much luck to you in these tough times.
    Dads house burned down 4 years ago here in Colorado- still recovering

I wish you the best, this road is hard. Waiting for news, recovery, so hard. I am sorry you have to go through this.
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • notDepressed
    286 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    ForumNerds wrote:

Thank you. So far, the fire is not near us, and would need to move through a large expanse of residential areas to get here.

It's behavior is weird, though -- it was traveling North-east and South-west and South-east. Part of that is because of wind-shifts over the last few days, but not all of it. Traditionally, a fire favors traveling "up" a slope, and typically, fire travels away from the wind. In this fire, they're seeing situations where the blaze moves downhill and INTO the wind. That's why they are having such an impossible time containing it.

*/Begin political rant

What TICKS ME OFF is that Los Angeles County has been so short-sighted and tight-fisted in purchasing Super-Scoopers. We lease 2 every year from Canada, since their fire seasons are usually different than ours. To purchase a Super-Scooper would cost $26 million.

Our politicians use that figure as if it was some horrific burden -- and assure their constituents that they wouldn't dare ask the taxpayers to put out $26 MILLION dollars! For just ONE Super-Scooper! Gasp.

Los Angeles County has a freakin' population of 10 million (with 3.5 million households) ... They'd need to pay a ONE TIME cost of $5 PER HOUSEHOLD to purchase each Super-Scooper. Per HOUSEHOLD.

Just to give some perspective, here are some of the countries that OWN Super-Scoopers:
    Canada = 28.
    France = 12, and has 3 more on order.
    Italy = 19 (plus 3 more on order)
    Freakin' CROATIA (with a population of 4 million ) = 6

The United States, (with a population of 324 million) owns ZERO. Zip. Nada.
    United States Forest Service LEASES 1
    Los Angeles County (more than twice the population of Croatia) owns ZERO.
    San Diego LEASES 1

Each Super-Scooper would cost each man, woman and child in the United States a one-time cost of TEN CENTS. Or, if the US taxpayers are too cheap to do that, each Super-Scooper would cost each person in Los Angeles County $3.50

And our politicians are too freakin' cowardly to ask for $3.50 ... all the politicians do is scream and wail "35 MILLION dollars! We'll all be ruined!"

(Croatia. Six.)

end political rant*/

So, yeah, the fire is still out there. There's dry brush growing IN our river. Thank the Lord there's no Climate Change. (Excuse me while I go find my eyes. They've rolled out of my head.)
    Glad to hear and hope the ash isn't too bad where you are as it can sometimes be unbearable. On another note, you have a lot of random knowledge and communicate well, have you thought about becoming an elected official and making some common sense much needed changes?
  • IckabodSchrek
    5919 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Has anyone heard from Annette? Hope all is ok.
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Has anyone heard from Annette? Hope all is ok.

Last I heard, she rolled her eyes so hard they fell out of her head. :mrgreen:

(I hope she's ok, too)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!