EA Forums - Banner

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

wilki1999
3974 posts Member
I'm wanting to get it, just haven't had the time to yet.

Replies

• KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Finished it this evening.
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    I plan on getting it once I have time to read. I know that I will want to finish it in one sitting and don't have time right now.
  • lynnmckenz82
    2613 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    I don't know whether to read it or not, because I'd really like to SEE the play and not know what's going to happen. But that may be years from now, because I can't afford the tickets and a trip to London.
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • empathy77
    4187 posts Member
    edited August 2016

How was it? Was it weird reading it as a script and not a novel?
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    empathy77 wrote:

How was it? Was it weird reading it as a script and not a novel?

Meh. Just reading a play is never quite the same experience as seeing a live performance. You miss, for example, the emotional nuance that the actors convey. That said, it wasn’t terrible. Thematically the Potter book it most reminds me of is Order of the Phoenix with both emphasizing the angsty and problematic nature of teens trying to define their place in the world. As for specific criticisms, I don’t want to get spoilery here, so will only say that (a) it over-relies on a certain MacGuffin to make its points, and (b) there’s a twist/surprise at the midway point that the astute reader/viewer will see coming from a mile away. Bottom line, glad I read it. 6 of 10 stars.
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Buying it tomorrow, would love to see it but that's implausible for quite some time.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Buying it tomorrow, would love to see it but that's implausible for quite some time.

Yeah, the producers have said they’ll mount it on Broadway, but no timetable and, in any case, tickets would no doubt be horribly expensive. Who knows when it might make it out to the sticks, and even it tours the reviews make it sound like a sfx-intensive show that would make a touring version problematic.

WB recently filed a Class 9 trademark for the title, meaning that a film adaptation is at least a theoretical possibility (even though Rowling at one point denied that it would happen). My guess isn't that eventually a film version will materialize (Radcliffe said he would be willing to reprise his role), but not for quite a while because a film would siphon off money going to the play.
  • txrabbit3737
    1130 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    I finished it yesterday. What you're getting is actually the rehearsal script. The final edited finished script will be released in book form next year. It's a decent enough read, would need a lot of padding to be turned into a novel. Might make a good mini-series for TV or maybe a few films.
    I comes across as a little fan fictiony to me but I enjoyed it.
    At the risk of spoilers, it does require the reader/viewer to be familiar with one HP novel in particular.
    What part of "unsolicited friend requests are all denied" do you NOT get?
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Just bought it about an hour or two ago. Currently on Act 3 and enjoying it so far! But I do agree it has the slightest fan-fiction tinge to it.
  • tommy1724
    1972 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Just bought it about an hour or two ago. Currently on Act 3 and enjoying it so far! But I do agree it has the slightest fan-fiction tinge to it.

I think it's the nature of reading a script. In the novels, we had rich descriptive passages and a real window into characters' thoughts. In a staged production of CC, much of that void would be filled with acting, scenery, effects, etc. Dialogue (and sparse stage directions) alone can't possibly feel whole. It's the same reason that it's pretty dumb most people's first exposure to Shakespeare is reading in a high school classroom....

That said, I generally enjoyed the story and my ten year old (who has read the series through three times) really liked it.
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    tommy1724 wrote:

I think it's the nature of reading a script. In the novels, we had rich descriptive passages and a real window into characters' thoughts. In a staged production of CC, much of that void would be filled with acting, scenery, effects, etc. Dialogue (and sparse stage directions) alone can't possibly feel whole. It's the same reason that it's pretty dumb most people's first exposure to Shakespeare is reading in a high school classroom....

That said, I generally enjoyed the story and my ten year old (who has read the series through three times) really liked it.

Spoilers below coloured in white (highlight to read); do not highlight or quote if you do not want to see them.

The parts I found rather ill-fitting to Rowling's canon were:
    a) Scorpius' dialogue (I mean come on? "My geekness is a-quivering? I understand one theme in the novel is identity, and how identity is not defined by your background/family but this was slightly too much for me);

b) Cedric (who is described as loyal, faithful and above all, a Hufflepuff) and his one embarrassing moment leading him to become a Death Eater and

c) the gaping plotholes, i.e. Delphini's entire backstory. Voldemort was incapable of love, this was his main downfall in the series. 'You're the one who is weak. You will never know love or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.' I saw one amusing yet plausibly theory of an equally confused reader on Reddit who proposed Voldemort handed Bellatrix a turkey baster fill of his 'junk juice' ( :lol: ) and told her to get pregnant. It would have been more fitting/understandable to make Delphi the child of Rodolphus (sp?) and Bellatrix, and put her obsessive tendencies down as being inherited from her mother. Also, Delphi was born in Malfoy Manor before the Battle of Hogwarts (2nd May) where her mother (unfortunately, from my POV) was brutally murdered. :P But the Skirmish at Malfoy Manor (late March) has no mention of a pregnant Bellatrix, so I assume the child was birthed sometime in the first quarter of 1998, surely Draco would notice a heavily pregnant Bellatrix in his own home? Why is it that he did not know/reveal this information in CC?

It's these reasons that I'm not considering this part of the HP canon, unless JKR comes out and says otherwise.

HOWEVER, when all is said and done, I did enjoy the book/script immensely and it certainly has me in the mood to reread the series from start to finish yet another time!

Please do not quote this post to reply to me as the spoilers will be slightly visible on the pale blue 'quote' background.

Edit: apparently JKR has said on Pottermore that it IS in fact canon. Still, hard to digest for me. :?

Another, probably (not) final edit: After losing his own parents and being abused by the Dursley's for a decade, I could never, ever see the Harry Potter that J.K. Rowling developed... (Highlight to view spoiler) ...tell his child that he wished he was a different person.
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited August 2016
  • stephtog
    491 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Not bought it yet, am off to see it in one day (!) in September and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I'm going with my sister and she's bought the book, I've threatened her with unimaginable pain if she blabs!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!