EA Forums - Banner

PSA regarding monorail tunnel glitch

Thanks for the warning!

Replies

• fastshadow2
    5466 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    glad you didnt loose anything major, thought i read on another thread that they both can be stored again and placed the same way to lose the mtns again since the patch that fixed that glitch. Maybe if you try that again than possibly what you lost might still be there.
    fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    glad you didnt loose anything major, thought i read on another thread that they both can be stored again and placed the same way to lose the mtns again since the patch that fixed that glitch. Maybe if you try that again than possibly what you lost might still be there.

Someone please correct me if I’m in error, but I believe the patch removed the ability to remove the mountains.
  • fastshadow2
    5466 posts Member
    edited September 2016

Someone please correct me if I’m in error, but I believe the patch removed the ability to remove the mountains.

you could be completly correct but going by what i read awhile ago and they might not have known what they were talking about or i might have misread what they were saying. Its one glitch I didn't try so im not knowledgeable about how it worked after the patch. thought it might be worth trying if you havent already :D
    fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited September 2016

you could be completly correct but going by what i read awhile ago and they might not have known what they were talking about or i might have misread what they were saying. Its one glitch I didn't try so im not knowledgeable about how it worked after the patch. thought it might be worth trying if you havent already :D

Thanks, fastshadow. I checked just to make sure, but, as originally reported by LPN, one can no longer do this following the patch.
  • spyder1952850
    1015 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    So just to make this perfectly clear, one should NOT place anything of importance in the mountain cleared land? I have filled it with monorail track and one of the future homes. Should I get them out now?
  • Willy9292
    1663 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Has anyone else seen what the OP reports. For the section to be reverted to mountains there would have to be an overwrite of the database for the town. This would probably be done server side and would be global. Both my towns have no issue and I forced a sync in both.
    Unsolicited friends requests are all denied.Please PM me.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    So just to make this perfectly clear, one should NOT place anything of importance in the mountain cleared land? I have filled it with monorail track and one of the future homes. Should I get them out now?

I think the best answer I can give, based on my own experience, is that the proper course of action is not clear. All I had underneath the single land parcel that reverted back to mountain was water. It’s possible that if I had had a building or other decoration sited there, it might have automatically been placed in storage when the reversion occurred. Just don’t know. I also suspect that the likelihood of what happened to me (i.e., texture glitch on a new parcel) happening to someone else is is relatively small — but finite. But the episode highlighted for me the notion that with respect to land acquired from the tunnel glitch, there are no guarantees about permanence.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Jabba0the0hutt
    350 posts Member
    edited September 2016

I think the best answer I can give, based on my own experience, is that the best or proper course of action is not clear. All I had underneath the single land parcel that reverted back to mountain was water. It’s possible that if I had had a building or other decoration sited there, it might have automatically been placed in storage when the reversion occurred. Just don’t know. I also suspect that the likelihood of what happened to me (i.e., texture glitch on a new parcel) happening to someone else is is relatively small — but finite. But the episode highlighted for me the notion that with respect to land acquired from the tunnel glitch, there are no guarantees about permanence.

I agree with your point however there is no telling how the mountains would have reacted it their were items in its way. Water is still classed as land so there was no issue with a mountain returning. Having an item there may have locked out the ability to return the mountain.

I am curious ... what happened to your water?? Did the water remain under the mountain?? Could you still edit the water?? Did it disappear??
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Willy9292 wrote:
    Has anyone else seen what the OP reports. For the section to be reverted to mountains there would have to be an overwrite of the database for the town. This would probably be done server side and would be global. Both my towns have no issue and I forced a sync in both.

I really don’t think that what you’re describing is what occurred in my Springfield. That is, I wouldn’t expect that what happened to me would in any way be reflected in the Springfields of other users. I think that the texture glitch that I described somehow triggered a “redraw” of the single reclaimed land parcel that it affected and that the game’s logic dictated that the redrawn parcel show the mountains that had originally been there. If it matters, my four or five other lands parcels that had previously been mountain-covered remained unaffected by this reversion. After the reversion, I tried syncing the game in the vain hope that the reversion of this one parcel might be temporary, but nope.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited September 2016

I think the best answer I can give, based on my own experience, is that the best or proper course of action is not clear. All I had underneath the single land parcel that reverted back to mountain was water. It’s possible that if I had had a building or other decoration sited there, it might have automatically been placed in storage when the reversion occurred. Just don’t know. I also suspect that the likelihood of what happened to me (i.e., texture glitch on a new parcel) happening to someone else is is relatively small — but finite. But the episode highlighted for me the notion that with respect to land acquired from the tunnel glitch, there are no guarantees about permanence.

I agree with your point however there is no telling how the mountains would have reacted it their were items in its way. Water is still classed as land so there was no issue with a mountain returning. Having an item there may have locked out the ability to return the mountain.

I am curious ... what happened to your water?? Did the water remain under the mountain?? Could you still edit the water?? Did it disappear??

As best I can tell, it was as if the water under the mountain never existed. I checked to see whether I could select/edit what had been there, but no dice.

I’m not so sure about your point regarding water being classed similarly to land. There are any number of decorations, for example, that can’t be placed on water. As you note, hard to know for sure in absence of more data.
  • Willy9292
    1663 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    This is probably similar to having the ice cream truck on the road. Its fine till you move it then no go. My stuff is still fine.
    Unsolicited friends requests are all denied.Please PM me.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Willy9292 wrote:
    This is probably similar to having the ice cream truck on the road. Its fine till you move it then no go. My stuff is still fine.

Yeah, Willy, I think that’s probably a good comparison.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.