EA Forums - Banner

What music are you listening to right now (v. 2.0)?

Replies

• Jazz-pop singer Al Jarreau passed away today at 76. Here’s “We’re in This Love Together”, from his most popular album, 1981’s Breakin’ Away.
  • Guitarist Larry Coryell, one of the pioneers of jazz fusion, passed away Sunday at 73. Here’s a live recording (1967) pairing him with vibraphonist Gary Burton in a rendition of “General Mojo’s Well Laid Plan”.
  • 168sean168
    4419 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Not listening to anything. But theme song of Avengers keep playing in my mind. I think must be due to recent watching of Doctor Strange
  • 168sean168 wrote: »
    Not listening to anything. But theme song of Avengers keep playing in my mind. I think must be due to recent watching of Doctor Strange

I know this is not what you were referring to, @168sean168, but your comment made think about the theme music (composed by John Dankworth) to the 60s-era television series, The Avengers. :smile:

• Jake Gyllenhaal performing “Finishing the Hat” from the current revival of Sondheim’s Sunday in the Park with George. (Hopefully will be seeing this in about a week.)

• The Song that is playing in my mind now is Easy Street. It is used again in the recent Walking Dead episode. Otherwise I do not actively play any music
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    @johncolombo ’s post earlier today about the Shaggs got me thinking about various off-beat groups I’ve listened to over the years. The Lounge Lizards, featuring the Lurie brothers, played what might be described as avant-garde jazz. Here is “Yak”, from their final studio album Queen of All Ears.

• johncolombo
    11634 posts Senior Moderator
    @johncolombo ’s post earlier today about the Shaggs got me thinking about various off-beat groups I’ve listened to over the years. The Lounge Lizards, featuring the Lurie brothers, played what might be described as avant-garde jazz. Here is “Yak”, from their final studio album Queen of All Ears.

I was just listening to the shaggs again and was feeling happy for foot foot.
    :wink:

Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    Vibraphonist Michael Mainieri’s “Bullet Train”, from the 1981 album Wanderlust.

• Falling from Twin Peaks or the Twin Peaks theme itself. It plays in my brain by itself. Probably because I am catching up on Twin Peaks now in preparation for Season 3
  • I recently learned that famed vibraphonist Gary Burton is hanging up his mallets after a long and distinguished career in jazz. He is currently engaged in a relatively brief farewell tour (with pianist Makato Ozone) and I was fortunate to be able to catch him late last night at Birdland in NYC. Here’s a clip of Burton and Ozone performing “Opus Half” from the album Face to Face.

DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    We were in NYC earlier in the month and had time to take in some shows, including a revival of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Sunset Boulevard with Glenn Close; a short revival of Stephen Sondheim’s Sunday in the Park with George with Jake Gyllenhaal and Annaleigh Ashford; and Waitress starring Jessie Mueller. We’d seen Waitress once before, but with Mueller’s understudy performing. This time we got to see it with Mueller. It was instructive to see how much additional emotional heft she brings to the part. Here’s a clip showing Mueller and co-star Drew Gehling rehearsing “Bad Idea”.

Sunset Boulevard 5_Star_Rating_System_4_stars.png
    Sunday in the Park with George 5_Star_Rating_System_5_stars.png
    Waitress 5_Star_Rating_System_4_and_a_half_stars.png
    Post edited by KrustyBrand on
  • Listening to a-Ha songs. Probably due to current James Bond theme tsto. The Living Daylights is a favourite song of mine. I have all the a-Ha albums except the latest one
  • Since you mentioned Bond themes...
    Listening to a-Ha songs. Probably due to current James Bond theme tsto. The Living Daylights is a favourite song of mine. I have all the a-Ha albums except the latest one

Interesting, @168sean168 . Just my opinion (of course), but my five favorite Bond opening songs:

5. “Skyfall”, Adele
    4. “GoldenEye”, Tina Turner
    3. “You Only Live Twice”, Nancy Sinatra
    2. “Live and Let Die”, Paul McCartney & Wings
    1. “Goldfinger”, Shirley Bassey

Listening to a-Ha songs. Probably due to current James Bond theme tsto. The Living Daylights is a favourite song of mine. I have all the a-Ha albums except the latest one

Interesting, @168sean168 . Just my opinion (of course), but my five favorite Bond opening songs:

5. “Skyfall”, Adele
    4. “GoldenEye”, Tina Turner
    3. “You Only Live Twice”, Nancy Sinatra
    2. “Live and Let Die”, Paul McCartney & Wings
    1. “Goldfinger”, Shirley Bassey

For me it would be

The Living Daylights
    A View to a Kill
    For Your Eyes Only
    All Time High
    Die Another Day

:smile:
  • Since you mentioned Bond themes...

Yes also one of my favorites. I need to record it via VHS tape during its run in the 80s
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    American jazz alto saxophonist and composer Arthur Blythe died this past week. Here’s the title cut from Lenox Avenue Breakdown (1979), maybe his best composition.

• IckabodSchrek
    5912 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    250qljp.jpg

Post edited by IckabodSchrek on
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!