EA Forums - Banner

What music are you listening to right now (v. 2.0)?

Replies

• Jack Lemmon played piano (pretty well) and sang (maybe not as well). He was able to show off his musical abilities in a few of his many films. He also released an album in 1959, A Twist of Lemmon. From that album, here is “Let’s Fall in Love”, the 1933 Harold Arlen/Ted Koehler standard.
  • Bogdan Raczynski - Kimi :)
  • Fritz Kreisler wrote Tambourin Chinois, Op. 3 for piano and violin in 1910. I recently had the opportunity to hear Itzhak Perlman and Rohan De Silva perform this brief piece. Below it’s performed by Micho Dimitrov on violin and Violeta Popova on piano. (Not sure about the recording date.)
  • Beautiful but sad.

• Watching on MTV Classic
  • “Rosalinda’s Eyes”, a 1978 Billy Joel song, inspired by the composer-singer’s mother, Rosalind Nyman Joel. From Joel’s sixth studio album, 52nd Street.

• Take me out tonight
    Oh, take me anywhere, I don't care
    I don't care, I don't care

• ”Show You the Way”, from Thundercat’s 2017 studio album Drunk. The song features Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald.

• Yeah, yeah, industrial estate

• David Bowie - Space Oddity (1969)

First noticed it in Valerian and then heavily featured in Hong Kong film The Midnight After and was drawn to it
  • I am feeling dizzy today as Space Oddity keeps playing in my head. Anyway here are some videos where it is used in movies

• This year marks the centenary of Ella Fitzgerald’s birth. The following was recorded in 1968 in Berlin — Ella, backed by the Tee Carson Trio, performing “Summertime” (composed in 1934 by George Gershwin for the 1935 opera Porgy and Bess, lyrics by DuBose Heyward and Ira Gershwin).
  • Ambition makes you look pretty ugly
    Kicking, squealing Gucci little piggy

• KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    I recently attended a performance of Always...Patsy Cline, a jukebox musical based on the true story of Patsy Cline’s friendship with Houston housewife Louise Seger. The clip below is my favorite Cline song, “Walkin’ after Midnight”, a song written by Alan Block and Donn Hecht. It was recorded in 1956 and released in 1957. The song was Cline’s first hit single.

• Love trance)
  • “Fresh Grass”, from Ken Wiley’s 2017 album, Urban Horn Project.

• We recently sat through a performance of Stephen Sondheim’s 1979 Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street in a teeny-tiny setting that allowed for one of those “immersive” theatrical experiences where the actors sometimes engage physically with various audience members (at one point, for example, the character of Toby rubbed some “miracle elixir” on my head). Anyway, here’s the entire performance by the original cast (including Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett and Len Cariou in the title role).
  • Listening to the Dunkirk original motion picture soundtrack. One of my favorite films from last year with an outstanding score from Hans Zimmer.
  • From the New York Times, dated 25 April.
    For the generation who learned more about math, grammar, history and civics from the interstitial cartoons on the ABC Saturday morning program “Schoolhouse Rock!” than they would care to admit, Bob Dorough was one of the most integral influences of their formative years — even if they didn’t know his name.

Mr. Dorough, who died this week at 94, was a jazz musician, composer and singer, and the mastermind behind dozens of educational earwigs primarily in the ’70s and ’80s — a man who understood that the best way to trick children into learning was to wrap lessons inside irresistible, frequently funky ditties.

“Three Is a Magic Number” was the first “Schoolhouse Rock” song Dorough composed.
  • The dead ends a living hell
    The story you can't tell
    But your words still get through

(I lost you once...I won't lose you again)