EA Forums - Banner

What music are you listening to right now (v. 2.0)?

Replies

• moxxee
    7717 posts Member
    38 Special- Second Chance
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    “Man Facing North” from 1993’s Like a River by Yellowjackets.

Post edited by KrustyBrand on
  • I was recently reading an article in which a Michael D’Antonio — the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who wrote a biography about Donald Trump — noted Trump’s fondness for Peggy Lee’s poignant rendition of the old Leiber/Stoller song, “Is That All There Is?” I won’t draw any conclusions from the fact that both the Donald and I admire this song.

• Adam Kirsch recently editorialized in The New York Times that Bob Dylan’s silence in response to his winning of the Nobel Prize for Literature is, philosophically speaking, the correct moral stance. I haven’t decided yet whether I agree or disagree with Kirsch. My personal feelings about both Dylan and his selection are a bit complicated. While I like a lot of Dylan’s stuff, I thought the Nobel Committee was being ludicrous when they picked him. But regardless of whether he should have been chosen, at least a small part of me is a bit gleeful at the way the songwriter has been utterly ignoring them. I’ve long thought that the committee was largely composed of a bunch of snobbish morons far more interested in making political statements than in judging actual literary merit.

Anyway, here’s one of my favorite Dylan tunes, “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door”, written for the 1973 film Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

• matulaboola
    383 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Saw these guys last Tuesday.
  • Bobby Vee died recently. Born Robert Thomas Velline, he famously got his start at age 15 performing at the Moorhead Armory when promoters were forced at the last moment to find replacements for Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper (who had died that day in an Iowa plane crash). Here’s Vee singing a 1961 hit (written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin), “Take Good Care of My Baby”.

• I had no idea that was another song written by Carole.
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    I had no idea that was another song written by Carole.

I’m embarrassed to admit that until I saw Beautiful, the bio-musical about King, I wasn’t really aware of just how many hits she and Goffin wrote for other artists before King elected to resume recording her own material in the late 60s/early 70s.

• She is amazing, and the last person to flaunt her talent. But there are so many song writers that are the same... how about David Foster? Had no clue until recently about all the Grammys he's won. .or it took until Prince died to find out he wrote songs for Snead O'Connor or another one of my favs.. Manic Monday? How many songs did Lionel Ritchie write before he finally snuggled up to the mic?
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • Adam Kirsch recently editorialized in The New York Times that Bob Dylan’s silence in response to his winning of the Nobel Prize for Literature is, philosophically speaking, the correct moral stance. I haven’t decided yet whether I agree or disagree with Kirsch. My personal feelings about both Dylan and his selection are a bit complicated. While I like a lot of Dylan’s stuff, I thought the Nobel Committee was being ludicrous when they picked him. But regardless of whether he should have been chosen, at least a small part of me is a bit gleeful at the way the songwriter has been utterly ignoring them. I’ve long thought that the committee was largely composed of a bunch of snobbish morons far more interested in making political statements than in judging actual literary merit.

Anyway, here’s one of my favorite Dylan tunes, “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door”, written for the 1973 film Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

Edit: Two days after my post, Dylan, in an interview with entertainment journalist Edna Gundersen, finally publically acknowledged receiving the award. When asked if he would attend the ceremony, he responded “Absolutely. If it’s at all possible.”
  • “Peace Crusaders“, from Jean-Luc Ponty’s Civilized Evil (1980).

• moxxee
    7717 posts Member
    Deep Forest
  • A cover of the 1937 song by the Gershwin brothers, “Nice Work If You Can Get It”. This one is taken from a 1994 tribute album, The Glory of Gershwin, and features Sting on vocals and the late, great Larry Adler on harmonica. The album was also something of a tribute to Adler, who was 80 years old at the time of the album’s release and whose playing was featured on each of its songs.
  • https://soundcloud.com/delamoontribe/symbiosis-gathering-2016-on-the-atoll

• “One Man Band”, a piece of jazz-funk that first appeared back in 1986 on the Bob Mintzer Big Band’s Camouflage.
  • Mago de Oz
    -Hasta que el cuerpo aguante

• BongoPickle
    124 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Criolo - Subirusdoistiozin

I think this is Brazilian jazz even tho the tube of yews labels it as 'hip hop' ... don't know how I stumbled across it, but I can't stop listening to it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Da04TlloTg0
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    After jazz bassist Eric von Essen passed away in 1997 at the age of 43, the Cryptogramophone label released a series of tribute albums. The following von Essen composition, “Silvana”, appeared on the first volume, released in 2000.
  • Emevolous
    17 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Vanic x K.Flay - Can't Sleep
    "If something's too hard to do, then it is not worth trying." -Homer
  • John Coltrane’s masterpiece, A Love Supreme.