EA Forums - Banner

What music are you listening to right now (v. 2.0)?

Replies

• Slayer live @ Wacken 2014
  • Given the date, I was thinking about the old (1972) Alice Cooper song, “Elected”.

• Potentially some really dark times ahead, making me reflect on Marvin Gaye’s song, “What’s Going On”, the title cut of his 1971 classic album. (The album was ranked 6th on Rolling Stone’s 2003 list of the “500 Greatest Albums of All Time”.) The song (and album as a whole) seems to me painfully relevant, highlighting just how little progress we’ve made in the last 45 years.

• the whole album is good
    Batman by Neal Hefti
    If I recall correctly my favorite son on the album was "mr freeze"
  • also heard this song for the first time in a long time today...check it out
  • “Half Light”, by Low with tomandandy, from the soundtrack of the 2002 movie, The Mothman Prophecies.
  • Going back to early 2000s, back to that awkward phase called middle school.

• “The Letter That Never Came”, from the Danny Elfman soundtrack to the 2004 film, Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events. Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, and Nickelodeon Movies had hoped this was going to be the first film of a franchise, but for various reasons that never happened. I read this morning that Netflix has developed a series based on the books to star Neil Patrick Harris as the evil Count Olaf.
  • Hamilton is back in the news again. I was fortunate enough to see this about a year ago after a friend of mine had managed to snag a couple of tickets after they first went on sale (i.e., before the show opened on Broadway and became über-trendy and expensive). I walked into the theatre pretty skeptical, but the show really did live up to the hype.

One of my favorite songs, “The Room Where It Happens”.

• Placebo's version of the song always makes me feel sad and angry at the same time. No better feeling in the world :)

• Morphine was an alt-rock group back in the 90s that disbanded after one of their three members, Mark Sandman, passed away in 1999. “Sharks Patrol These Waters” is from their 1995 album, Yes. (Warning: explicit lyrics.)
  • An ex-bf was in a cover band that did Acid Bath songs. He would practice that opening line on bass everynight. It's tattooed on my brain forever. Sometimes I find myself humming it while doing dishes. Acid Bath seems to have been erased from existence. This guy gets as close as we're ever gonna get.

• “I’ll Drive”, from Mare Wakefield’s 2005 Take Me Home.
  • drowning...

• Listening to one of my old favorites, a 1977 recording called Quadrant that featured the playing of Joe Pass, Milt Jackson, Ray Brown, and Mickey Roker. Here’s “Ray’s Tune”.
  • The UPS man at work looks like Chris Isaak. The only reason I still get up and go. Be still my heart. Nobody loves no one. ;)

• Boys....

Tori is a goddess.
  • “Thanksgiving Theme“, by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. It was composed for the 1973 TV special, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. It was included as a bonus track on the album, A Charlie Brown Christmas. Factoid: Charles Schulz, the creator of the Peanuts strip, hated jazz music.