EA Forums - Banner

THOH 2016 Frustration and Burnout

This is more a rant and a request for any motivation.
For awhile, I have felt burnt out by TSTO game. I have been playing for nearly 4 years now and feel like I am at the end of days.

I was hoping to open the game up this morning with the monster fight glitch fixed and some compensation in event currency, since I was unable to fight a monster for 16 hours. The monster fight appears to be repaired, but still doesn't make sense how you can only fight twice with only two people (one per monster). Not to mention, I feel victimised by the Crazy Cat (Iguana) Lady scam of false advertising.

This event has been unfruitful so far and just overall frustrating.
It could be the overall burnout of the game since all events contain a tremendous amount of crafting, but any words of encouragement to keep going would be appreciated. The community prizes were great back in the day.

I have found this forum and the TSTSO community, especially LPNintendoITA's diligence, to be a great asset and it has been appreciated by me for a long time.

Replies

• If you are feeling burnout or feel the events are overly redundant than I would suggest maybe you take a 6 month break? Sometimes a long break can be therapeutic and you can regain the join you have in the game.

If your dismay was all in the coding I would offer different advice as I myself have some displeasure with the event but it looks like you dislike the overall direction of the game and that is why I would recommend a significant break for yourself
  • they are truly making this game difficult for long time players to enjoy with the changes in this event update. with level updates gone, leveling up with XP was the motivation to continue playing since long term players do not needs cash. now that they took that away from us with this update by devaluing XP 90%, it seems like it is a trend of events with same pattern and tons of crafting of hundreds of items we dont need or have room for. leveling up to get a premium item every now and then was the motivation to keep playing. now they only have 2 items in the store for this event to buy (2 pumpkin items, both returning) the rest are all premium. no advantage to being a long term player or XP, which takes the fun out of being a dedicated player.
  • I took a break of a couple of months, came back during the Wild West event (devastated I missed some really cool prizes) but really enjoyed that event and it reawakened my enthusiasm for the game. I'm way more into it now than before. If the event doesn't tickle your pickle, I suggest just taking a break for this event and come back for the next one, see if that helps :smile:
  • Lancemountain37 - the coding issues has been the most frustrating part of this event. I can deal with the direction. Consider the glitches in the event just the catalyst for expressing my frustration.

evant13579, you're spot on. It is just becoming a little mundane with the constant crafting of items that really play no benefit.

PlaythePeonies, I've been waiting a long time for the THOH event and was debating making it my last big hoorah. I was hoping it would be a great event to get some premium characters and go out with a bang. Feeling disappointed given the long history of THOH events in the past. I did miss the last Christmas event as a whole and went overseas on a holiday without any internet access.
  • I'm right there with you on most of your points. I wasted my donuts on the costume and it's really not helping like advertised. They drug their feet on fixing that glitch and they really should have awarded us some currency as compensation for that down time.

However, where last year's prizes were lack luster, the design team really has seemed to have went all out this year. We're going to get some really, really, really cool stuff if we stick with it. With the inclusion of the haunted town square, not only can we design a little spooky area of our town - we can design a whole little haunted town now!

I'd suggest trying to play through the frustration. It's irritating and I think EA needs to do some serious damage control, but rage quitting at this point would only leave you missing out on a ton of content that won't be available for another year.
  • It's the event length that is killing it for me. 2 weeks is enjoyable. 41 days is just a total grind.

Also this event, like you say, is so badly planned. Why release the currency earning skins/people half way through? I only have the count and the blob.
  • The story this year seems awful. Monsters just conveniently show up? It's not even funny in a "oh you guys" kinda way. It jst feels like they cant be bothered. That coupled with the glitches and general **** -witery on EA 's behalf has definitely reduced my enjoyment of the game.
  • It's really difficult for a lot of us to not be frustrated with everything in the last few weeks, the forum just gone with no word, then this new one and all it's mess, the hideaways, xp, game code desasters, some folks still can't play it right or at all, event currency generating characters held to middle or last week of event, etc... it's wearing a lot of us down.
    I'm just trying real hard to ignore what I can't alter, stay on top and head to head for what I might be able to change, and have fun with my town for the shear pleasure of it.
    When I think about it I can go really crazy.
    I Admit, if things keep landing on our heads like this, there's a good chance I'll be one of those taking a break.
    But for now, this is Halloween by Goddess!! There might be monsters to kill!! (Soon at least :tongue: the prizes are really cool if I can get them :) :)
    I DID get witch Marge and the CCL is flinging around iguanas! Can't beat that part! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Nothing as loud as the silentmiaow.
  • Coding mistakes really hurt, but this event is really cool and you can quickly make it up. I play just a few times a day and I am already two times the Calendar pace. It really helps if you have characters that earn currency. I have three out of four.
    First Year 2012 Player @ Game Level 939 & 3,200% XP
  • Don't give up! Just do the best you can, it's better than not playing at all. I feel burnt out too tbh. This is my 4th Halloween event and while it is my favourite event of the year I am burnt out by this point. Even between this event and the one that just ended (which was a long and difficult grind for me) they added in a mini event with the new Lard Lad. Sometimes I feel like this game is work because as annoyed as I get and tell myself "I wanna quit!" I still have this overwhelming urge to complete everything because I don't want to come back to the game 6 months down the track and have missed out on cool stuff.

At this point though, if they stopped releasing so many events I think I'd get bored easily. I still remember the days back in 2013/2014 when you'd go months without anything to do.
    But we already did it. It took seven hours, but we did it. It's done.
  • CamelRama
    171 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Seriously though, take a break if you're worn out. I wasn't feeling Tapball, so I stopped soon after it started. I missed out on skins and decos but I was much happier and appreciative of the break.

Just a word of caution though. I did feel as though I was behind on taskbook items, level updates, and $ for most of the year, so consider whether that will bug you.
  • Monsters spawn 2/4 hours. So leave the monsters for a while and you will have more than two to fight. I think the max is ten. CCL is sure to help with these. Also, there are apparently some monsters that require two fighters, so she can help there too. Hopefully that will help.
  • I can hear the words of my mother ringing in my ears, "for gods sake it's only a game".
    I know of at least ten people who have been seriously injured playing P******go, one was beaten up when he stumbled into private party. I know of two people who lost their jobs because they couldn't walk away from Mario.

I read the comments of so many on this forum who are totally bummed out when EA doesn't release the character they desperately want. (Just punch the ticket man) Other players are not judging you by the stuff you collect in the game. And if they do, they are the ones who need psychiatric help. If they don't like my SF, then they don't have to look at it. But what they think of how I have it set up like is all on them. Believe me, they don't want to know where some of the ideas in my head come from. And some of the things I set up are JUST FOR MY AMUSEMENT! Like the green spotlight aimed at the airplane so that when it rises up as if in flight it looks like the cockpit is flooded with laser light. Then the plane wobbles and drops from the sky.

This game, actually all games, have to be for your own personal enjoyment. If it stops being fun just walk away.
  • its not the wheel.... *eyeroll* (i was one of the only fans of the wheel...)
    crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56
  • 4junk3000
    5232 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    I think the event is pretty fun. But then i try to keep realistic expectations of GAMES.

Take a break for a while. But i sure hope no one is particularly upset about losing the ability to exploit the game. Come on now. Gravy trains don't last forever, they never do. You have to just appreciate any time you had to ride it.

Go play something else, see how long that lasts, and come back. We'll be here! (Well i hope the forum will anyway)

P.s. just saw you also said request for motivation...

One of the things i find most entertaining in this game, is trying to catch the characters in candid shots. I'll spend more time trying to catch a good photo, than tapping.

Here's an example: in this photo, i not only moved all the monsters to the Town Square, i tried to catch them in a variety of poses. Also, i tried to get as many spectators around the square. Zutroy in the bush and Dolph bored and reading a magazine, while others are standing around with guns and knives!

weYYjs6l.jpg

I took about 12 pictures, waiting at least 5 straight minutes, then chose this scene as most interesting, cropped it a little, and put it in the Showcase to share with others. HOW OFTEN DO YOU DO THIS? So maybe, just maybe, instead of posting rant threads that no one really wants to see, you could contribute more to the Showcase! Ever think of that?
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • I'll just say, everything changes of time, some things for the better, some things not. I've been playing this game long enough to know, almost every update has had some sort of glitch, which usually will be fixed, quickly. I may not like the dynamics of every event, but can usually find something enjoyable about the game.
  • Crafting seems redundant for me on this one - lots to craft from last year that I do not need more of....

Sorry for the burnout - the game can feel a grind sometimes... take a breather is my best suggestion- but hard to do during an event we want things from
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently