EA Forums - Banner

organizations?

a couple of times a year i try to donate to an organization, it just really feels good to do something for someone else....so if you guys have some suggestions of organizations that arent as publicly known, like Breast Cancer is way to publicized plus theres a store here that i shop at and a percentage of my purchase goes to them so its kind of redundant to also donate to them as well...but an organization that you dont really hear about that often....i was looking on the gofundme in my area and im kind of hesitant about that website....
crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56

Replies

• I like my donations to be as local-helping as possible........... Humane Society, there are several thrift stores near me that run for causes - humane society, our center-More on them in a second, my town has many good places to donate just about anything to help our community and it's people.
    Our Center - is a place in town - gives hot meal, places to stay, helps with clothing, food, bills - real resource for low income people in my area.......
    I know, not exactly what you asked - I guess my 2 cents is - donate local, not to big funds that who knows how much REALLY gets used for that.....
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • yah im not a huge fan of the organizations that are widely known....mostly people donate to those for tax purposes and i am one of those that dont do tax write-offs....ill have to check locally, see whats going on....gofundme i was looking at and some of them were kind of annoying, there were a couple of them of kids with cancer and getting treatment which i was kind of considering but im still not sure on how parents would feel about some random stranger donating....
  • I agree with the local thing, those typically get less than the larger organizations. Children's Miracle Network goes to local hospitals for the area you donate in. Lot's of places participate with that. Donations to to local animal shelters (they would take cash, food, newspapers if you get them, or just volunteering).
    There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way. Thich Nhat Hanh

• Yea I have donated for Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors without borders) a couple of times now, I believe they do a great job. Right now they are on Haiti after hurricane Matthew.

I agree that we should do local donations. Back in Mexico (I reside in the US at the moment) my family frequently donated clothing and money to a local Orphanage.

What I avoid is using third party companies to make donations. Like a food chain using your spare change to donate for X or Y organization. Even if its charitable in some way to another, I think they get tax deductions with your money. And yea, I don't do it for de deductibles either. Just out of good will.

• St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!

ive thought about that one but what are they really known for? i want to say it was for cancer but i cant recall!!

ive thought about that one but what are they really known for? i want to say it was for cancer but i cant recall!!

Mostly cancer, childhood cancer to be precise. But they also lead in research of other childrens life threatening diseases.
    There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way. Thich Nhat Hanh

I think its pretty much any type of terminal childhood condition...research and treatment. Breaks my heart what some children have to suffer. Check their website.
  • ill check their website, my husband also offered up what he said was the obvious, Ronald McDonald House...which does seem like a really good cause as well...my brother was in a childrens hospital and the commute was insane, almost an hour away but i cant imagine people who have to deal with 2 to 3 hours away.....or more for that matter....
  • ill check their website, my husband also offered up what he said was the obvious, Ronald McDonald House...which does seem like a really good cause as well...my brother was in a childrens hospital and the commute was insane, almost an hour away but i cant imagine people who have to deal with 2 to 3 hours away.....or more for that matter....
    That's another good one. I help with the pop tab collections for them. That's something you and Monkey can do year round, even if it's just saving the ones from home and friends.

This is an amazing cause to donate to, this is the one I do as well as many no kill shelter programs as we can.

It makes me so sad to know that just because there isn't enough SPACE or FOOD they KILL the poor animals that they catch or that are literally given to them. It breaks my heart just thinking out it. Those poor animals all alone, frighten... they just want to be loved. Makes me so, so very sad.

St. Jude is literally amazing. By donating your money you are truly helping I believe . If your child has cancer and they are in St Jude you do not pay for medicine, testing, treatments. You don't pay for housing or food. They take care of everything so you can focus all your time and energy on your sick/recovering/dying child. I think more organizations should operate this way. I love St. Jude's.