EA Forums - Banner

Changes

Thanks for the link. An interesting read.

Replies

• mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Trying to find the one I read yesterday from January 10, 2013, was also a pretty good one. Yesterday I was bored so I was trying to snoop into just how much profit EA makes from this game compared to the others as a way to see what kind of resources they would put toward it. I mean if it accounts for say 1% then the reciprocal support would make sense.

But sadly I was not able to find any kind of line item break down. 3Q numbers are to be release January 30, so I will take a glimpse at those to see what I can decipher.
  • mike_bornste
    941 posts
    edited January 2013
    Interesting.

I've been part of a much smaller organization that needed to shift from a "deliver and move on" paradigm to a more follow up based model. It was not an easy transition and many of the existing staff were very reluctant. And that was without having to worry about things like servers.

To EA's credit, at least they seem to acknowledge that they have a customer service problem and claim to be trying to improve. Of course, they are far far far from good when it comes to customer service so they've got a long road to travel.

• dcline414
    863 posts
    edited January 2013
    mdfriend wrote:
    Trying to find the one I read yesterday from January 10, 2013, was also a pretty good one. Yesterday I was bored so I was trying to snoop into just how much profit EA makes from this game compared to the others as a way to see what kind of resources they would put toward it. I mean if it accounts for say 1% then the reciprocal support would make sense.

But sadly I was not able to find any kind of line item break down. 3Q numbers are to be release January 30, so I will take a glimpse at those to see what I can decipher.
    Try this for a start:
    http://blog.quarterspiral.com/post/35068119704/simpsons-tapped-out-why-ea-doesnt-need-new-ip
    In last Tuesday’s quarterly earnings report, EA touted the success of the freemium Simpson’s Tapped Out for iOS as one of the stand out successes of the past few months. EA’s Frank Gibeau was quoted as saying “another breakout hit in the fiscal quarter was The Simpsons: Tapped Out, a free-to-play mobile title which launched in August and was the #1 grossing game on iOS for most of the last 4 weeks” (via Games Industry International).

Just how successful was the title? Using the numbers for top grossing iOS titles I reverse engineered from Supercell’s recent success, I estimate Tapped Out has generated $29.6 million in sales for EA. $20.7 million after Apple takes its cut. This represents 6.6% of EA’s reported $314 million in digital revenue for the quarter.[/qoute]
  • mike_bornste
    941 posts
    edited January 2013
    dcline414 wrote:
    "....estimate Tapped Out has generated $29.6 million in sales for EA. $20.7 million after Apple takes its cut. This represents 6.6% of EA’s reported $314 million in digital revenue for the quarter.[/qoute]

Holy crap! You'd think they could buy some quality servers with all that cash!

And, hoo boy, does Apply have a nice racket going there....
  • mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    dcline414 wrote:
    Try this for a start:
    http://blog.quarterspiral.com/post/35068119704/simpsons-tapped-out-why-ea-doesnt-need-new-ip

Just how successful was the title? Using the numbers for top grossing iOS titles I reverse engineered from Supercell’s recent success, I estimate Tapped Out has generated $29.6 million in sales for EA. $20.7 million after Apple takes its cut. This represents 6.6% of EA’s reported $314 million in digital revenue for the quarter.[/qoute]

Ah, yes, exactly, nice find. So from this, a 6.6% of the digital revenue. I agree with the article that it most likely surpassed its budget (and many fold over I would guess). So take into account licensing as mentioned in the article, and also its profits making up for some of the losses and misses as well I would say that Tapped Out is proving to be a solid winner for them.

This said I am guessing a budget was set for them and they had to stay on budget, so hence some server issues etc. Probably broke budget a time or two to upgrade. But my point is I think the future of the game promises more stability. Now that they know they have a winner over time and not just a three month fluke they can set a new budget and more resources to the game.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!