EA Forums - Banner

Snagging snowpeople before they disappear

Prev1
Same question here, when wiill the Mr.Plow ( Homer ) disappear?
I want him, but at the moment not enought donuts.

Replies

• stuartcurran
    309 posts
    edited January 2013
    For limited time items they usually give a warning of their facebook that its our "last chance" (usually a week or so) to get the limited items. This facebook message is more often than not posted on the forums, so I'd say they will inform us.

I reckon they will go with the February update which I imagine is any time between the 5-11 of Feb. They're not that expensive anyway so I doubt they'll be reduced in price and there's no extra currency such as coins that will give us these for free when the next update comes so realistically I'd say you can get them now and nothing will change until they're removed in early Feb with the next update.

Same will apply for Mr Plow ^^
  • XBL-Heretic
    1228 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    If you logically follow the pattern, we've seen:

1) notification/reduced cost
    2) poof, they're gone
    3) notification/reduced cost (free w/coins)

So logically, next would be "poof, they're gone". But then this is EA were talking about. I don't think logic is one of the methods to their madness...
  • brendathorne
    175 posts
    edited January 2013
    Better to miss out on a deal than to miss out on the whole thing if it is an item you want. There are very few deals in the game so I wouldn't count on the price lowering. If you feel like taking the risk again, there seems to be enough speculation and insider info around the forums that you may have a good idea about what is coming.

You don't want that sloppy messy melty Bart snowman? He cracks me up.
  • coffret_do
    144 posts
    edited January 2013
    I say take the deal while you have it. Given the pattern you had in the past, you wouldn't want to miss out on another deal. Also, I doubt they will reduce the price for the snowman.

Btw, how come you don't want Bart? :cry:
  • RonNasty64
    43 posts
    edited January 2013
    coffret_do wrote:

Why would you want any of the snowpeople? I'm skipping them altogether.
  • brenner_yes
    1156 posts
    edited January 2013
    Thinking about it i rlly hope they dont go on sale i rushed and bought them as soon as the update was loaded, i have 2 full sets of simpsons and I Love them :D and i got a few extra of the non premium ones too incase i ever need one for a cool decorating project, id at least get lisa, marge and maggie they only cost cash and if you dont like then just store em :) its better to have them on not need them, then need them down the road and not have them :mrgreen:
  • GZero604
    169 posts
    edited January 2013
    I too was in the same situation as you. I bought Kang a day before the price drop and also waited for a price drop on the balloons but it disappeared. So for Christmas I decided to just buy everything as it is released including the reindeer which they gave away in 50 Santa coins mystery stockings. I bought all the snowman early on since I will probably end up getting it sooner or later. Don't want to miss out on it like I did with the 2 balloons.
  • coffret_do
    144 posts
    edited January 2013
    RonNasty64 wrote:
    coffret_do wrote:

Why would you want any of the snowpeople? I'm skipping them altogether.

I bought them because I really like that episode. :)
  • JuliusGulius
    625 posts Member
    edited January 2013

2) poof, they're gone

So logically, next would be "poof, they're gone". But then this is EA were talking about. I don't think logic is one of the methods to their madness...

Good point. *I noted the same pattern and arrived at the same conclusion*

coffret_do wrote:
    I say take the deal while you have it. Given the pattern you had in the past, you wouldn't want to miss out on another deal. Also, I doubt they will reduce the price for the snowman.

Yeah, I'm going to buy the Homer snowman the next time I log in. I don't want the Bart mainly because I plan on having the figures be ice sculptures after the thaw (Bart doesn't look like he could double as ice), and also just because I'm saving my donuts for some other items in particular. I'd have a laugh, if EA replaced them all with puddles of water.
    GZero604 wrote:
    I too was in the same situation as you. I bought Kang a day before the price drop and also waited for a price drop on the balloons but it disappeared. So for Christmas I decided to just buy everything as it is released including the reindeer which they gave away in 50 Santa coins mystery stockings. I bought all the snowman early on since I will probably end up getting it sooner or later. Don't want to miss out on it like I did with the 2 balloons.

Lol, it's good to know I'm not alone in that boat.
  • mcorway
    419 posts
    edited January 2013
    I would suspect that this update will follow the November Thanksgiving update and simply disappear without notice. It wasn't a major update (or 2 updates in one - holiday+new level ala Halloween and Christmas).

If you want the Snow Simpsons, you better buy them. I didn't even know Mr. Plow was limited, as I bought him instantly. =)

I'm a sucker, but I love that episode.
  • HammyBaconTime
    264 posts
    edited January 2013
    Any ganders as to when the snowfam will disappear?

I keep putting off purchasing the Homer snowman, probably not wise based on previous luck. I think I'll pass on the Bart.

Here's what happened to me with limited premium items in the past:

I initially passed on Kang, but several days after he was supposed to already be gone, I bit the bullet and bought him. Mere hours after my purchase, his price was reduced. When I read that here, I think I threatened to bite someone's leg off, and then took a break from the forum for a while.

Enter Thanksgiving update. "Tricky, tricky," I thought of the premium balloons, "I want you all, but I'll wait for the last-call discount, like they did with Kang." That strategy deflated when they just one day disappeared. -_-

Enter Christmas update. The reindeer were the only premium items I bought, and I snatched them up early on, before they could poof like the balloons. We all know how that one panned out (hey, I'm not complaining about the giveaway, only noting the irony).

Do you think we'll at least get a warning this time around, or do you anticipate a spontaneous snowbustion?

I was lucky with the balloons. They only cost cash when I got them. I also got ripped off with the Kang deal. Few hours after I bought him the price apparently lowered.
  • dcline414
    863 posts
    edited January 2013

2) poof, they're gone

They have NEVER failed to give a warning on the Facebook page at least the day before limited time items are taken away:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • H1_ROADBLOK
    2884 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    That's all well and good if you are on Facebook. How about the people that are not?
  • imfkool
    1111 posts
    edited January 2013
    That's all well and good if you are on Facebook. How about the people that are not?

Well I would guess that people on facebook would tell everyone else on the forums. I would.
  • JuliusGulius
    625 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    dcline, I'm not sure if I missed that balloon warning or not, but if I did catch it, I assume I thought there'd be an additional warning, after the numerous (false) last-chance warnings and seemingly interminable temptations to buy Kang, ha.
  • dcline414
    863 posts
    edited January 2013
    dcline, I'm not sure if I missed that balloon warning or not, but if I did catch it, I assume I thought there'd be an additional warning, after the numerous (false) last-chance warnings and seemingly interminable temptations to buy Kang, ha.
    I have app notifications turned off, so perhaps that is where they failed to give a warning. I periodically check the facebook page, but think there has been a thread started here about nearly every post they've made there. I always try to add a screenshot of the actual Facebook post to make sure it isn't mistaken for a rumor.

As for the end of winter and future seasonal updates, I would definitely not count on getting multiple warnings. The end of Halloween was the only time they gave a "FINAL WEEK" warning followed by a "FINAL DAY" warning. Christmas did give an in-app advance warning with firm end date, but they only gave a "LAST DAY" warning on Facebook.

The day-before warning is the only one that seems consistent, and it always seems to say simply "This is your LAST CHANCE to get _______!" I would definitely pull the trigger at that point if you were still holding off on something you really wanted.
  • JuliusGulius
    625 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Yup, I've definitely learned my lesson. Maybe.

dcline, the gif in your sig automatically made me think of this: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9069365.page
  • Doh_Inc
    242 posts
    edited January 2013
    I've learned to just get the limited edition items before they're gone. I usually don't want them at the time, but once they are gone ( Witch Marge :cry: ) I want them something crazy. So, I snatched up one of each snowman and stored them until I can think of something to do with them.
  • L_Marques
    52 posts
    edited January 2013
    They rarely uptade their facebook page
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited January 2013
    Doh_Inc wrote:
    I've learned to just get the limited edition items before they're gone. I usually don't want them at the time, but once they are gone ( Witch Marge :cry: ) I want them something crazy. So, I snatched up one of each snowman and stored them until I can think of something to do with them.

Ive got all the snowmen, did the obvious and put them outside the simpsons house, put Bart as close to their driveway as possible ;) :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!