EA Forums - Banner

OT - Remake Evil Dead

Prev13
Ugh, looks just like every other horror movie being made right now. At least Raimi and Campbell support it, and tapert has a producer credit in this one too. But still, somethings are best left alone.

Replies

• XBL-Heretic
    1228 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Evil Dead is a CLASSIC! They better do it right, or they shouldn't do it at all...
  • mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Looks like they are going for the serious approach, much more 1 than 2, but I do see them incorporating the chainsaw. Just not sure.
  • waltercartman
    677 posts
    edited January 2013
    Not a fan of re makes but the trailer didnt look that bad.

Doesnt really matter but ash is now a women. Yep everything for men is now for women.

Army of darkness is still better then all of them.
  • XBL-Heretic
    1228 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    mdfriend wrote:
    Looks like they are going for the serious approach, much more 1 than 2, but I do see them incorporating the chainsaw. Just not sure.

I haven't checked out the trailer yet. Do I want to? Don't know... Happy to hear theyre keeping it serious. The chainsaw didn't have any real prominence until ED2 - hope they don't try to force it in...
  • tlindfors
    604 posts
    edited January 2013
    I am skeptical about remakes within the horror genre (my favorite genre) in general and I am actually happy that they are going in a more "serious" direction with this movie, instead of trying remake Evil Dead to the letter. I love the Evil Dead movies for exactly what they are-awesomely campy and over the top horror. Looking at this new movie as a "stand alone" it seems decent, when I look it as a remake I don't like it.
  • mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    tlindfors wrote:
    I am skeptical about remakes within the horror genre (my favorite genre) in general and I am actually happy that they are going in a more "serious" direction with this movie, instead of trying remake Evil Dead to the letter. I love the Evil Dead movies for exactly what they are-awesomely campy and over the top horror. Looking at this new movie as a "stand alone" it seems decent, when I look it as a remake I don't like it.

Makes sense to me, I like this approach, just forget that this one is a remake and it might be okay. If we remember the first Evil Dead was a much more serious attempt, ED 2 and AofD obviously are over the top camp.

@XBL - only saw a quick clip so I cannot tell, but seemed like there was reference to a hand and a chainsaw, but not in an over the top way.
  • zoephoto
    447 posts
    edited January 2013
    For me the element that made the Evil Dead series AWESOME was Bruce and the resultant humor he brought. Without the humor the series isn't the same. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is more along the lines of the Evil Dead series then this remake in my opinion.

Then of course there was the AMAZING Evil Dead the Musical - and I did love that (and sat in the splatter zone!)

Evil_Dead_Musical.jpg

• tlindfors
    604 posts
    edited January 2013
    Very true, ED2 and A of D muuuuch more campy than ED, but I can't help lump the first in with the other two because Bruce Campbell is always playful to me and just the overall feel/production value makes me giggle. I need to watch all of these again soon, it's been a while.
  • mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    tlindfors wrote:
    Very true, ED2 and A of D muuuuch more campy than ED, but I can't help lump the first in with the other two because Bruce Campbell is always playful to me and just the overall feel/production value makes me giggle. I need to watch all of these again soon, it's been a while.

Be warned they are very dated. Great for us that loved them, but for a younger, newer viewer it might be lame. Never to me though.

And I agree on Bruce Campbell 100%
  • tlindfors
    604 posts
    edited January 2013
    Agreed mdfriend! I'm 40 and still watch movies from this time period (and much earlier) with nothing but reverence and love!!! :D

Edited to add: I am VERY jealous that I did not see the musical!!!!
  • mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    tlindfors wrote:
    Agreed mdfriend! I'm 40 and still watch movies from this time period (and much earlier) with nothing but reverence and love!!! :D

Ha ha, 41, guess it is what you grow up with.
  • tlindfors
    604 posts
    edited January 2013
    Very happy to see your age, I was feeling like grandma talking to the whippersnappers about the good old days of horror! :wink:
  • mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    tlindfors wrote:
    Very happy to see your age, I was feeling like grandma talking to the whippersnappers about the good old days of horror! :wink:

Yes, a surprising number of us 40+ here, but makes sense with our ties to The Simpsons. I know, horror from our time, so bad but so good. Halloween, still my favorite!
  • P003htb
    947 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Never seen any of the movies your talking about, so can someone please give me a summary of the plot? :D

Too young, that's why
  • waltercartman
    677 posts
    edited January 2013
    Anyone see my name is bruce? Great movie if your a bruce fan.
  • tlindfors
    604 posts
    edited January 2013
    mdfriend wrote:
    Yes, a surprising number of us 40+ here, but makes sense with our ties to The Simpsons. I know, horror from our time, so bad but so good. Halloween, still my favorite!

I love Halloween, but my favorite so bad it's good movie is The Funhouse directed by Tobe Hooper, that was the first horror movie I saw at the theater (I was 9!). I should have said one of my favorites-I have so many. My friends and I used to go to the video store in the mid-late 80's (ahhh, VHS tapes) and rent the most low budget movies they had. I got to see some real gems that way!!!
  • zoephoto
    447 posts
    edited January 2013
    tlindfors wrote:

I'm 32, and love revisiting them as well, especially ED II, my favorite!

The musical is in Las Vegas at the moment, so I suppose there are still opportunities here and there, but the original musical Ash, Ryan Ward, was SO good as Bruce, even Bruce thought so! :D

Also you can watch the whole thing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVG9Rc3a5Z8 It's the original Toronto production before it was fine tuned and better singers added for NY (except Ash stayed on)... still pretty good!
    Edit: if you just want a taste jump to :38 min and watch through :42, which covers the What the F--- was that song, and the evil hand scene from Evil Dead 2 :mrgreen:
  • mike_bornste
    941 posts
    edited January 2013
    I'm not down for the remake (or any remakes really).

But as mentioned in a thread last week, Army of Darkness is -- and will always be -- absolutely awesome.
  • tlindfors
    604 posts
    edited January 2013
    Check out imdb P, will tell you all about the movies! :-)

Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness-this as mike says is absolutely awesome!
  • mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    zoephoto wrote:
    tlindfors wrote:

I'm 32, and love revisiting them as well, especially ED II, my favorite!

The musical is in Las Vegas at the moment, so I suppose there are still opportunities here and there, but the original musical Ash, Ryan Ward, was SO good as Bruce, even Bruce thought so! :D

Also you can watch the whole thing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVG9Rc3a5Z8 It's the original Toronto production before it was fine tuned and better singers added for NY (except Ash stayed on)... still pretty good!
    Edit: if you just want a taste jump to :38 min and watch through :42, which covers the What the F--- was that song, and the evil hand scene from Evil Dead 2 :mrgreen:

Ha, love it, and he is a great Ash.

Agreed with all Army of Darkness is a best ever for me as well
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!