EA Forums - Banner

Apple says tapped out causing issues with iPod touch

ynotbgreen wrote:
I recently exchanged my iPod touch IV generation and am now having lots of weird battery issues. Losing charge, indicating it is fully charged too quickly, jumps from fully battery to red in a short period of time, and the like. I can start with a full battery and go to 20% within minutes of playing. Apple says my battery is fine, and is blaming irregularities on Tapped Out. They can see where Tapped out made iPod crash and where after playing it also gets too hot. (seems to happen occasionally while playing).

Has anyone experienced similar issues? It didn't seem happen on my old one, but I am on Level 25 now and my town is growing.

I really did search for other posts, and not finding any.....might be my answer!

thanks

So does crashing of the game actually affect your device??

I have also found my phone gets pretty hot after playing for a while which is one of the reasons I tend to play on my iPad more. Not to mention the battery life on my iPhone is shocking anyway.

Replies

• gazzajay
    327 posts
    edited January 2013
    I think tapped out is just a big killer of battery life. My battery wears down for almost full charged to 20% warning in about 20 minutes or so
  • jaffaface
    903 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    gazzajay wrote:
    I think tapped out is just a big killer of battery life. My battery wears down for almost full charged to 20% warning in about 20 minutes or so

Agreed. My battery dies a lot quicker in tapped out than any other app. Even on my iPad.
  • zantheman7
    264 posts
    edited January 2013
    ynotbgreen wrote:
    I recently exchanged my iPod touch IV generation and am now having lots of weird battery issues. Losing charge, indicating it is fully charged too quickly, jumps from fully battery to red in a short period of time, and the like. I can start with a full battery and go to 20% within minutes of playing. Apple says my battery is fine, and is blaming irregularities on Tapped Out. They can see where Tapped out made iPod crash and where after playing it also gets too hot. (seems to happen occasionally while playing).

Has anyone experienced similar issues? It didn't seem happen on my old one, but I am on Level 25 now and my town is growing.

I really did search for other posts, and not finding any.....might be my answer!

thanks

Yes! Had a feeling the crashes have something to do with it!
  • Jeebus42
    246 posts
    edited January 2013
    TSTO is a battery killer for sure. My myPad used to be good for about 10% per hour, but it seems to be about 1/2 that now.
    As for your myPod, mine started having the same issues as yours, but I can positively attribute that to the 20 mins it spent in the high-efficiency washer... :oops:
  • PhenomTT
    478 posts
    edited January 2013
    My Ipod touch gets hot to the point i cant touch the top portion of it when playing TSTO.. I figured it was due to the large amount of Internet activity, warming up the wifi transmitter..yes, if not pluged in it gets maybe 15 min of battery time on a full charge..Ipod has started freezing up more lately..
  • zoephoto
    447 posts
    edited January 2013
    ynotbgreen wrote:

thanks

what you are describing is software corruption, what Apple is saying is that there isn't a problem with the hardware of your battery. If the firmware isn't reading your battery correctly it won't allow the battery to charge up all the way regardless of what the percentage says.. Also any time of crashing or background failed processes will cause the battery to work harder then it needs, draining faster.

Solution? A pain, but completely wipe out and restore the software firmware on your phone, and do not use a backup, set it up as new and re-download your apps.
  • ynotbgreen
    64 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Thanks everyone. And yes, I did do a reset, but restored from backups. I will have to mentally gear up to starting over from scratch. Assume there is a way to transfer music/pictures and not apps.

Makes sense something is going in the background though....a weird thing I've noticed is when after playing awhile and battery in the red zone, if I shut down and restart, the battery comes back significantly.

• A_Bad_Exampl3
    916 posts
    edited January 2013
    ynotbgreen wrote:
    Thanks everyone. And yes, I did do a reset, but restored from backups. I will have to mentally gear up to starting over from scratch. Assume there is a way to transfer music/pictures and not apps.

Makes sense something is going in the background though....a weird thing I've noticed is when after playing awhile and battery in the red zone, if I shut down and restart, the battery comes back significantly.

You can either save the music and pics to cloud, or copy them off your devices with iTunes; and then set it so it does not automatically reload them.
  • gchelf01
    239 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Tapped out should've just been an iPad exclusive game think that handles the game a lot better.
  • imfkool
    1111 posts
    edited January 2013
    gchelf01 wrote:
    Tapped out should've just been an iPad exclusive game think that handles the game a lot better.

c2wCA.gif
  • zoephoto
    447 posts
    edited January 2013
    ynotbgreen wrote:

When you are ready to wipe out your device, plug your device into itunes, hold down both buttons on your device until the screen goes black, count to 5 and release the top lock button while still holding the home button, hold it until itunes pops up a message that says you are in recovery mode, then restore. That is the most thorough restore you can do which erases and rewrites everything. Then do NOT use a backup. You can log into icloud to use the sliders to get contacts/calendars/photostream, and in the app store under updates, then purchases you can download your apps again for free. in the itunes store you can download your music again. Otherwise transfer items from your computer by syncing but keep it set up as new, and no backup used.
  • ynotbgreen
    64 posts Member
    edited January 2013
    Very helpful, thank you. I have been waiting for the right time to join the cloud....

And, even with all the trouble, and though it is hard to get around my teeny tiny town, I am glad it is available for the smaller devices. I find it quite entertaining (much to my family's dismay). Ready for the next update.

zoephoto wrote:

When you are ready to wipe out your device, plug your device into itunes, hold down both buttons on your device until the screen goes black, count to 5 and release the top lock button while still holding the home button, hold it until itunes pops up a message that says you are in recovery mode, then restore. That is the most thorough restore you can do which erases and rewrites everything. Then do NOT use a backup. You can log into icloud to use the sliders to get contacts/calendars/photostream, and in the app store under updates, then purchases you can download your apps again for free. in the itunes store you can download your music again. Otherwise transfer items from your computer by syncing but keep it set up as new, and no backup used.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!