EA Forums - Banner

Best wishes today for our American Tappers

Replies

• The electoral college was set up to give less populated states an equal voice. Doing away with it would mean California and New York making presidential choices for Nebraska and the Dakotas.
  • Oh I get it, I stayed up on Tuesday and watched the results roll in. What I don't understand is how it can be justified as ensuring an area that is strongly D/R is not overwhelming. The system flips it to the other extreme. 2.5 milllion Californians could have stayed at home and observed the same result. But another mere 150k from Florida along with 100k in Pennsylvania voting for HRC would have changed the result.

Surely the opinion of a citizen, no matter if they reside in a state that is highly contended or not, is equal to the opinion of any other citizen?
  • The electoral college was set up to give less populated states an equal voice. Doing away with it would mean California and New York making presidential choices for Nebraska and the Dakotas.

Thank you for that. What confuses me is why less populated states should be given a disproportional weighting than others; surely NY/CA should be given the appropriate voice, considering they represent a greater percentage of the country's population?

I'm aware that the amount of electoral votes are decided by the respresentatives of that state, but by rough calculation (this is based on total population, not voting population FYI), Alaska has one vote for every 250,000 people, yet California has one for every 700k.

(Obviously after adjusting for voter turnout and the fraction of those populations under 18 the results would change but it should give an idea as to why I'm completely bewildered :lol: )
  • Besides the water problem, if California left the U.S. what would happen to that 11th largest economy in the world(after factoring in the cost of living) without the federal dollars supporting it? Not to mention the economic effect of the Central Valley and western parts of the state not willing to join it in exiting. And since CA won't build power plants, where would their electricity come from?

If your on about California it's the 6 largest economy in the world and economically powerful than France. As for dollar if America said no to using the dollar all is not lost they could use another currency or make their own. If it did happen I think they will take into consideration water, power (gas electirc etc) and start building power plants and they could do their own trade deals.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

Love you Davo Rest in paradise
  • The electoral is confusing. Basically it helps distribute power away from the most populated cities, so that all citizens of our country are more equally represented. To put it simply, without it there would probably be no roads connecting NYC to LA. Each would complete for a President that want to spend tax $ in their city and neither would care to build a road in the middle of the country.
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • ericborovay
    104 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    HomerND84 wrote: »
    Besides the water problem, if California left the U.S. what would happen to that 11th largest economy in the world(after factoring in the cost of living) without the federal dollars supporting it? Not to mention the economic effect of the Central Valley and western parts of the state not willing to join it in exiting. And since CA won't build power plants, where would their electricity come from?

If your on about California it's the 6 largest economy in the world and economically powerful than France. As for dollar if America said no to using the dollar all is not lost they could use another currency or make their own. If it did happen I think they will take into consideration water, power (gas electirc etc) and start building power plants and they could do their own trade deals.

California is only the 6th largest economy if you don't take cost of living into account. After cost of living is factored in it moves back to 11th largest. And that doesn't take into consideration that CA would lose more than a third of a trillion dollars in annual support from the federal government. It would also lose the agricultural monies and taxes provided by the Central Valley and west CA, as those areas have a small but growing discontent population that wants to separate from the state already. Plus It would be hard for California to make their own currency without the gold to back it up. And if they leave the Union in a tantrum, I don't think a republican controlled House, Senate and White House would give them beneficial trade deals. And the US could use their clout to prevent other countries from doing so. Building power plants takes time, and even if CA did away with the environmental regulations that prevent new power plants from being built quickly, the state would go dark quicker than anything could be built.

And I don't think anyone is certain why the electoral votes are portioned the way they are. I think area and population density are taken into account. After the last census, some states that decreased in population gained votes, while states that experienced population growth lost votes.

And winning the popular vote while losing the electoral vote has only happened five times. So it's not something that happens much. And the US is culturally, economically and environmentally diverse, and as the previous post pointed out if not for those electoral votes the smaller states wouldn't get much federal attention. It would be like "I won because of New York and Los Angeles, why do I care what Oklahoma thinks of my policies. I can win re-election without them."

Post edited by ericborovay on
  • @barrymcerlea We don't go into a booth and select [Clinton] or [Trump]
    We vote for state officials who represent our party and do the actual voting ....basically in a nutshell with stuff left out.
    Some states have more representing based on population. Small states like Rhode Island one have say 1 vs a large state pop state like texas would have say 6... random numbers don't quote me... so if say Texas has 4 elects(that the Texans voted for) going for Trump and 2 for Clinton it goes to trump and it is ruled a red state whatever he wins that state etc...
    it does suck because if the people could just vote for one or the other i don't believe the outcome would have been the same
  • I've just been watching Fox News and they had Dr. Ben Carson on talking about healthcare. I've been hoping if Trump was elected that he would become involved to somehow fix our 'affordable' healthcare mess. When Hanity asked him if he was having discussion with Trump..he's said he is!! So let's hope!
  • I know!! I was reading up on that!! I love Ben Carson!!! That's who I was wanting!! ;)
    crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56
  • For anyone interested, Arizona was just called this morning adding, I think 11 electoral votes to Trumps total and narrowing the gap in the popular vote. 20 electoral votes are outstanding with the race not being called yet in New Hampshire and Michigan. And 13 states don't have a total count in yet for the popular vote.
  • NicholasD1984
    2821 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    For anyone interested, Arizona was just called this morning adding, I think 11 electoral votes to Trumps total and narrowing the gap in the popular vote. 20 electoral votes are outstanding with the race not being called yet in New Hampshire and Michigan. And 13 states don't have a total count in yet for the popular vote.
    Will that affect the outcome?
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

Love you Davo Rest in paradise
  • No..but it could be possible when all the votes are in that Trump could win the popular vote too. I haven't checked since early this morning. At that time Hillory was ahead by about 450k votes.
  • Fhfjgjghjikggji
    2942 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    For anyone interested, Arizona was just called this morning adding, I think 11 electoral votes to Trumps total and narrowing the gap in the popular vote. 20 electoral votes are outstanding with the race not being called yet in New Hampshire and Michigan. And 13 states don't have a total count in yet for the popular vote.

I thought the election was over
    We'll chew this planet up and spit it out!
  • 2iw0nqa.jpg.
    Doesn't look like much change. Those last 2 states must be really close.
  • For anyone interested, Arizona was just called this morning adding, I think 11 electoral votes to Trumps total and narrowing the gap in the popular vote. 20 electoral votes are outstanding with the race not being called yet in New Hampshire and Michigan. And 13 states don't have a total count in yet for the popular vote.

Yes, but votes are still being counted. They are irrelevant, as it is highly unlikely any state will change. Most of the west coast hasn't processed all of their votes, last time I checked California had an estimated 70% counted, around 9 million. Simple math says that it'll reach around 12.8 million, and if Clinton holds on to her 62% there that would equate to another 2.3 million votes for Clinton, probably ~ a million for trump.

Yes, but votes are still being counted. They are irrelevant, as it is highly unlikely any state will change. Most of the west coast hasn't processed all of their votes, last time I checked California had an estimated 70% counted, around 9 million. Simple math says that it'll reach around 12.8 million, and if Clinton holds on to her 62% there that would equate to another 2.3 million votes for Clinton, probably ~ a million for trump.

Oh well I guess the world will have to put up with trump for 4 years then
    We'll chew this planet up and spit it out!
  • Thanks Barry I completely missed that California wasn't all in. Looks like the only other significant is Washington where she ahead also. So her popular vote will increase significantly from what is showing now.
  • ebc776.jpg.
    Here is the list of Representatives for each state.
    Each state also has 2 US Senators to represent them in Congress.
    As is apparent, the more populated states have more Representatives
  • Thanks for that, Dee. I knew the Representatives were proportional but didn't realise each state had a set 2 Senators. I guess that's where the less populated states are favoured disproportionally.
  • I'm aware that the amount of electoral votes are decided by the respresentatives of that state, but by rough calculation (this is based on total population, not voting population FYI), Alaska has one vote for every 250,000 people, yet California has one for every 700k.
    If we're going to retain state by state electoral divisions...okay. But why isn't the representation based on population fair? I get that the minimum a state can have is 3 but that's not just because of population, that's one counting as representative and two counting as senate votes. Okay, just did the calculation using only representative votes and that would be the same between Alaska and California, about 750k. The two senate votes is supposed to increase the worthiness of those smaller states, which it does. I say, though, keep the state by state division but lose the extra 2 electoral votes. Then the divisions matter and still might cause a national popular vote to lose but might be even less likely than these 5 instances.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.