EA Forums - Banner

Fire Tablet Question

Prev1
I'm considering buying an Amazon Fire HD tablet as they're on sale at the moment. Does anybody play Tapped Out on a Fire tablet and if you do, what's it like? I have a Kobo Arc tablet I used to play it on but it was so slow and laggy I gave up. I'm currently playing it on my iPhone 6 Plus but as it's only 16GB and I have apps on there I need to use, there's only just enough memory left to run the game and while it runs pretty smoothly, I'm often kicked out of the game and back to my phone's home screen 5 or 6 times when I'm playing. Basically what I wanna know is can the game be played on a Fire HD tablet without any lag issues or crash issues? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me on this.

Replies

• Yes, both a fire 7 and the new $90 8 inch model.
    I primarily play now on the 8 inch, but the (on sale $30 fire 7) is fairly fast as well.
    Both are faster than my ipad2.
  • Ok thanks
  • LPNintendoITA
    11576 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Remember though one thing: kindle get store updates always LAST
    My Youtube and Twitch / WikiSimpons Current Event Page and Discord
  • I use to play on Fire, it may have been something with my account, but I was never able to get donuts that I purchased credited correctly. It was always a hassle. It got way too laggy. I've switched to an iphone 7 plus and am happy with that.
  • Remember though one thing: kindle get store updates always LAST

also, Amazon is limiting other services like Flixster.
  • I had one, but returned it the next day lol....just bought it due to I had like so many free coins haha. But overall it was a good tablet.
  • My wife and I have both been playing on a Fire since before the Krustyland update without a problem and find the tablets more than fill our needs. The updates may come after Apple and Google play, but it usually isn't so much later than them as to really affect anything. We haven't had issues with donut purchases in a couple of years. We each had a problem once, some time back and managed to get it speedily resolved with Amazon customer service. I will admit we aren't "power users" so we may get more mileage from our tablets than some folks who live their lives electronically but we find the Fire to be a very nice little gadget for playing Tapped Out.
  • ness382
    28 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Love my Kindle Fire, it has huge screen compared to phones and the picture is fab! I've had no more problems than anyone else with lagging and always bought my doughnuts successfully. As LP said, the only downside is that Amazon often releases its updates later than the other platforms but I've never not finished an event because of this - the forced takedown update is usually later too!
  • I have a kindle fire that I bought new in 2013. It was my primary device for tsto for quite awhile. My kid uses it now and it still runs the game fine. A nice feature was that buying Amazon coins to use for donuts made the donuts slightly cheaper (or free if they're giving away bonus coins). I don't know if they still do those promotions in the kindle store but I remember getting free donuts from it in the past. Something to look into anyway.
    As for the updates, I think I had to go to the store and make it update because it wouldn't do it automatically for some reason.
  • stinkbugger
    1980 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    This thread has made me realize that my iPad will be 5 years old in a few months.

Maybe I should have grabbed one of those $60 Fire HD 8s...

Edit: Ok, got one via Prime Now for $55. Now to find out how playable TO is on it...
    Post edited by stinkbugger on
  • Ok, received the new HD 8 Fire this morning (thanks, Prime Now, got it for under $55) and just finished playing a little Tapped Out on it!

Oh my, it's way faster than my nearly five year old iPad. I can scroll around town so quickly. My town actually feels smaller because of this! I scroll from one end to the other in seconds. And when I use the teleporter I'm instantly at the other one, no flash of white for a second.

The downside of course is the screen size. Everything is way tinier. The details are lost. And some things are harder to click on. For example, I have a teleporter near the Simpsons' house. Nearby is the Insanity Cauldron. When totally zoomed out I can't seem to register a tap on the teleporter, it either picks up the Cauldron pepper that's kinda in front of it or nearly things. I never have this problem when zoomed out on the iPad.

Of course, this is all relative. People who go from a phone screen to an 8" screen feel freedom on the "larger" screen. For the time being though this will be a good backup device and one to use when traveling, etc. Eventually I hope to get a new iPad though (maybe when the newer ones come out in March or so).
  • I play mostly on my Fire HD 10 and I love it. Much faster than my iPad and I also have an SD card for it so it's more flexible than the iPad. I usually start events on my iPad because the Apple update is available earlier. I just update the game there and then open it on my Fire and play. Then, at the end of the event if I want to craft more stuff or try for another round of donuts, I have extra time because Amazon updates last on the closing of events, too.
  • I've decided instead to upgrade from a 16GB iPhone 6 Plus to a 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. Will this solve my memory issues or is it the wrong type of memory that I'm upgrading? That probably sounds like a stupid question but I'm not quite sure if it will make any difference. I hope so lol so any help would be appreciated.
  • I've decided instead to upgrade from a 16GB iPhone 6 Plus to a 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. Will this solve my memory issues or is it the wrong type of memory that I'm upgrading? That probably sounds like a stupid question but I'm not quite sure if it will make any difference. I hope so lol so any help would be appreciated.

You're not upgrading memory. You are upgrading storage space.
  • I went from a Fire to a budget Android tablet, it's so superior I would never go back to a Fire. They are too limiting in terms of app availability etc. For just playing Tapped Out it's fine but to get the full tablet experience I say go for Android.
  • civiksi wrote: »
    I've decided instead to upgrade from a 16GB iPhone 6 Plus to a 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. Will this solve my memory issues or is it the wrong type of memory that I'm upgrading? That probably sounds like a stupid question but I'm not quite sure if it will make any difference. I hope so lol so any help would be appreciated.

You're not upgrading memory. You are upgrading storage space.

So I'll still have issues with the game crashing every 5 minutes then?

• I've been happy with my experience on the kindle. I absolutely can't imagine even trying to play this game on a phone.

Pros - Wide screen - you can see more while playing.
    Great for reading books on!
    Affordable compared to other tablets - especially if you don't need it for anything besides your game, books, and basic internet access.
    You can save some money and get points back by using the amazon coin system.

Cons - As LP said, we almost always update last (except that one time they gave us an early preview of the superhero event).
    No easy screen save function. It's harder to take pictures of your town with.
    Very limited game selection. You can get Tapped out, Quest for stuff, Angry Birds, and that's pretty much it. Amazon is trying to avoid just being a google play clone, so they mostly offer unique games...which are mostly *meh*. Apparently you can side load some of the more popular games, but I haven't bothered. So it is more of a book reader that also can play the Simpsons than a gaming tablet that can also read books.

Over all it is one of the best options for the price at least.
  • Also, the game has geographic restrictions on the Kindle platform.
    Better make sure Amazon lets you have it before you buy the tablet, especially if you're not in the US or any other primary market.
  • Johnny2bd wrote: »
    No easy screen save function.

Huh? On the later Fires one can just press and hold down the Volume Down button and Power button together for a second to take a screenshot.
  • Johnny2bd wrote: »
    No easy screen save function.

Huh? On the later Fires one can just press and hold down the Volume Down button and Power button together for a second to take a screenshot.

Which (IMO) isn't that easy. Plus (unless there's a program that I don't know about), it can't make a montage of many pictures to show off a larger area of your town like some of the phones can.