EA Forums - Banner

I Tuesday today...it will snow in SF

Replies

• Snow arrived this morning ......... in Ottawa.

Boooooo urns

I blame this thread while shoveling out to the hot tub
    Senior Moderator (for 25 minutes on Sept 23 2016)
  • Its also snowing here for real where I live. Well not where I live but other parts near where I live. And its suppose to snow harder later today....
    ~Always be Designing~
    Don't increase the Item Limit? Then I don't play. Period.
  • First off, it's special day for little kids. You have to set your shoe near a fireplace and then Sinterklaas or one of his Pieten will put a present into it.

Second, it's been a tradition for hundreds of years in our country and a couple of others. It has nothing to do with racism, but offcourse there will always be racist people trying to link it to racism. It's been a subject of discussion in our country for some years now and the black pieten are being changed to only have smudges of black or a mix of colors on their face instead of their whole face being black.

It being a tradition for hundreds of years isn't an excuse to not move forward. Blacking up is an ugly tradition that has fortunately stopped in most places. If it has to be zwarte piet rather than just piet why not have black people do it?
  • Belgium humor on the forum, love it!
    My shoe is out, tonight komt Sinterklaas!
  • I wish it would snow here, we had planned to go into the snow for a bachelor party, but that's not going to happen with only sun in South Germany and Swiss. Hopefully I'll at least be able to enjoy the snow in Springfield.
  • It snowed where I lived today, I hope we don't get to much this year.
  • When johncolombo™ drops an animated gif on your thread, it's legit.
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • simp7fan wrote: »
    It will start on the first Tuesday after the first Thursday after the first Saturday after the first.

Lol what?
  • 2cr2hoi.gif
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • I really hope (and predict) that your four predictions are wrong. Today is "pakjesavond" in the Netherlands, the day that Sinterklaas and Black Pete bring bags withs gifts and we sing songs and drink hot chocolate. The kids will be bummed out if the christmas event drops today, cause I'll be too preoccupied and Sinterklaas will silently ride by our house (makes absolutely no sense unless you're Dutch). :D

Naw, makes sense to me. St. Nicholas Day is tomorrow...which at my house means you better put your shoes out before bed!
  • Snow arrived this morning ......... in Ottawa.

Boooooo urns

You poor dear - cue the sirens and everyone who still somehow forgot to winter drive. Good thing you aren't in Montreal though.
  • and there's no snow. Let is snow let it sno-nopEA
    My Youtube and Twitch / WikiSimpons Current Event Page and Discord
  • mc91f9.jpg
    nissa762 wrote: »
    Snow arrived this morning ......... in Ottawa.

Boooooo urns

You poor dear - cue the sirens and everyone who still somehow forgot to winter drive. Good thing you aren't in Montreal though.

• 260y249.jpg
    @nissa762 Does it really get like this...or is this photo magic?

• It being a tradition for hundreds of years isn't an excuse to not move forward. Blacking up is an ugly tradition that has fortunately stopped in most places. If it has to be zwarte piet rather than just piet why not have black people do it?

Zwarte Piet is a fictional character, exactly like Santa's elves. Santa's elves are not real little people who are enslaved and abused by Santa. Zwarte Piet is equally fictional and equally beloved. Because of the black make up, neighbours and relatives can play Zwarte Piet for little kids without being recognised. You ask why not have black people do it. There are two answers: First, black people DO do it. All ethnicities and all sexes in the Netherlands can (and do) dress up like Zwarte Piet. There's no racial boundary, if you want to dress up and make kids happy, go ahead! All races use the same make-up, wear the same colorful outfits and have the same fun, together.
    Second: Zwarte Piet looks nothing like any black person. Seriously, google Zwarte Piet and show me the picture of a real black person that looks even remotely like a Zwarte Piet. It's like thinking real little people walk around in green outfits and have pointy ears. People in the Dutch Antilles also celebrate Sinterklaas. Most people there have a naturally dark skin, and they all use the black make-up too when they dress up like Zwarte Piet, because a Zwarte Piet looks entirely different than a black person. I grew up with Zwarte Piet and with black people and I never ever thought they were related in any way.

Zwarte Piet is funny, kind, brings gifts and candy, lives in Spain with an elderly man and his white horse and they travel to Holland in a steamboat each december to bring kids gifts. Seriously, it's not real. What's next, are we going to boycot the moon for being white and the night sky for being black? Racisme is awful. Be kind to everybody no matter his or her colour, religion, height, weight, intelligence and have a wonderfull pakjesavond. I just did (although now I'm a bit nauseous from the kruidnootjes).

• It being a tradition for hundreds of years isn't an excuse to not move forward. Blacking up is an ugly tradition that has fortunately stopped in most places. If it has to be zwarte piet rather than just piet why not have black people do it?

Zwarte Piet is a fictional character, exactly like Santa's elves. Santa's elves are not real little people who are enslaved and abused by Santa. Zwarte Piet is equally fictional and equally beloved. Because of the black make up, neighbours and relatives can play Zwarte Piet for little kids without being recognised. You ask why not have black people do it. There are two answers: First, black people DO do it. All ethnicities and all sexes in the Netherlands can (and do) dress up like Zwarte Piet. There's no racial boundary, if you want to dress up and make kids happy, go ahead! All races use the same make-up, wear the same colorful outfits and have the same fun, together.
    Second: Zwarte Piet looks nothing like any black person. Seriously, google Zwarte Piet and show me the picture of a real black person that looks even remotely like a Zwarte Piet. It's like thinking real little people walk around in green outfits and have pointy ears. People in the Dutch Antilles also celebrate Sinterklaas. Most people there have a naturally dark skin, and they all use the black make-up too when they dress up like Zwarte Piet, because a Zwarte Piet looks entirely different than a black person. I grew up with Zwarte Piet and with black people and I never ever thought they were related in any way.

Zwarte Piet is funny, kind, brings gifts and candy, lives in Spain with an elderly man and his white horse and they travel to Holland in a steamboat each december to bring kids gifts. Seriously, it's not real. What's next, are we going to boycot the moon for being white and the night sky for being black? Racisme is awful. Be kind to everybody no matter his or her colour, religion, height, weight, intelligence and have a wonderfull pakjesavond. I just did (although now I'm a bit nauseous from the kruidnootjes).

Well said!
  • bluntcard
    3724 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Edit: Never mind
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • Mortiis07
    45 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Zwarte Piet looks nothing like any black person. Seriously, google Zwarte Piet and show me the picture of a real black person that looks even remotely like a Zwarte Piet.

That's because it's the ugly stereotype of black people that thankfully most people have done away with.
    I don't know why you mentioned the nonsense about them zwarte piet being fictional, of course it's fictional that's not the point. And the stuff about the moon, what was the point of that?
    Post edited by Mortiis07 on
  • no teaser on fb yet so...
    I think they can hit late in the day. We'll see.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • simp7fan wrote: »
    no teaser on fb yet so...
    I think they can hit late in the day. We'll see.

it'd have hit the server already if it did
    My Youtube and Twitch / WikiSimpons Current Event Page and Discord