EA Forums - Banner

What Am I?

Replies

• meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    I will just say that I hope that your symptoms subside soon. I didn't want to add to your irritation.
  • im going to be completely honest...since i have started this...ive been thinking about drinking a heck of a lot earlier...in fact yesterday i was fighting with opening up a beer right after i dropped monkey off to school... this morning...its earlier than that... so... i dont know...sadly i have to work today so i wont be opening up a beer...
    crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56
  • Dont substitute one bad habit for another... id suggest getting gum.. if you cant afford the nicotine gum get regular gum.. chew the mess out of it. Also if you need a nicotine fix badley enough get a can of dip. Except now they have little packages ir bags that are very convenient... no shredded tobacco leaf in your mouth. I've had it a few times in my day when smokes were not allowed for long periods of time.. i still suggest gum to keep you busy . Smoking is not just a physical addiction, but a mental one too.
  • ecig...has been a crutch right now...but i think thats why i have a severe migraine...and i honestly dont use it all that much cause it bugs me too much...im not a gum person....and no my drinking will be the next to be tackled but im hoping not for another year or two...tiny steps dangit...tiny steps...
  • Just a little inspiration. Know that your friends are behind you.

Doit.png
  • i thought at first it said "dot for her" and i was like awesome i get a dot!!! ;):) but Do it for her is just as awesome!! ;) thanks!!
  • How about substituting smoking for a hobby? What sort of things do you like? Something that uses your hands and brainpower, a few ideas - jigsaw puzzles, sewing, knitting, soduku, crosswords. You enjoy gaming. Best wishes for getting through this, RMV.
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • Muhsterino wrote: »
    How about substituting smoking for a hobby? What sort of things do you like? Something that uses your hands and brainpower, a few ideas - jigsaw puzzles, sewing, knitting, soduku, crosswords. You enjoy gaming. Best wishes for getting through this, RMV.

thank you Muhsterino!! honestly drinking is my hobby...i crochet and play video games...the last couple of nights ive been playing Wheel of Fortune on the PS4 with my husband and daughter...my husband has been smoking out side now too... so hes trying to help where he can...he smokes a LOT LESS than i do....like less than a pack....and with me not smoking he will probably cut down even more... so figure something out...i had the most expensive habit so it was up to me....
  • You could start a jar in which you put all the money that would have been spent on cigarettes. You would see the amount piling up! Reward yourself with a new game or something else enjoyable and perhaps save some too.
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • NaPaSmell wrote: »
    Turkey1010 wrote: »
    Dont substitute one bad habit for another... id suggest getting gum.. if you cant afford the nicotine gum get regular gum.. chew the mess out of it. Also if you need a nicotine fix badley enough get a can of dip. Except now they have little packages ir bags that are very convenient... no shredded tobacco leaf in your mouth. I've had it a few times in my day when smokes were not allowed for long periods of time.. i still suggest gum to keep you busy . Smoking is not just a physical addiction, but a mental one too.

Thats bull. No offense. @RMVancleav710 if YOU really want to quit you will take the 3 days of suffering and feeling low for the 1000+ days of feeling good. I felt like "slop" when i quit but i got over it in 3 days and i worked in a cigarette factory at the time. You don't need gum or dip...willpower and strength. If you do like to drink i'd associate some drinking after the 3 days of "heck". Quitting smoking doesn't mean you have to stop being yourself. I quit when i was 25 and 6 years later i still haven't smoked. Cigarettes killed 3 neighbors of mine in the last 5 years. Don't be a statistic. Sorry if i sound Dr. Phillish.

I just suggested it as a cheap fix during the quitting process. MOST people can't quit cold turkey..
    There are pills, patches, gums, therapy, etc..

Not everyone is like you NaPa. Some people quit for months or years and fail...some quit during pregnancy and lapse.. and some are completely successful like you and never look back. That is why it is such a terrible addiction. There are many, many ways to quit because its all dependant on each individual.
  • Soap boxes must be on sale eh?

Really though....Hang tough and good luck RMV.
    I've been thinking of quitting as well.
    Fortunately I don't get strong physical cravings whenever I try, it's the psychological/muscle memory aspect I struggle with. What can I say....I like smoking. Dumb I know.
  • Muhsterino wrote: »
    How about substituting smoking for a hobby? What sort of things do you like? Something that uses your hands and brainpower, a few ideas - jigsaw puzzles, sewing, knitting, soduku, crosswords. You enjoy gaming. Best wishes for getting through this, RMV.

You substitute one vice for another, had a co worker his lung collapsed or something (hard to care about someone when they dont care about themselves) anyways he TRIED to quit, did for a couple months, but some of our other co workers were smokers so he got back into the habit.
    He'd take 3 smoke breaks a day + his 30 minute break, but on the days he didnt smoke he'd buy the best latte and then he'd only take his 30 minute break.
    Point is it was a hit and miss kinda situation he'd smoke sometimes and not smoke others, depending on who he'd hang out with would often determine if he would smoke or not, (me being a non-smoker) he often just got his latte somtimes he was irritable but i'd often try and take his mind off those things (he gets mad and i get worse as i wont stand for his carp)

Hobbies though i agree are a good thing, i dont have many vices just over eating i guess, however i can control those urges by doing the one thing i cant drop:
    binge watching shows or playing an addicting videogame, and i do mean addicting, ever played monster hunter? At my worst/best(?) i spent 3 days straight locked in my room with a dozen water bottles only taking breaks to take a dump, when i finally showered i took the game with me and played while showering.
    I did not eat.
    I did not sleep.
    I only played the game.
    I went from noob to novice in 3 days, it was an interesting spiral that lead me to a larger gaming community.
    Since then i have often gone back to that obsessive level of gaming, playing for mutliple hours a day or simply giving everything else up (like food and sleep) to play, keeps my mind off of food, but the downside it also makes me care about nothing else.
    But the game has to be GOOD otherwise i give it up in 1 hour or 5 seconds.
    But once im in the zone i can play nonstop for days or get into a serious cycle of 17 hours of gaming +4-6 hours of sleep and the remaining for eating, socializing, bathing etc.

If you really want to give it up you will, but the easiest/best way would be by replacing it with something you equally enjoy that is both distracting and calming to you.
  • My mum has been a heavy smoker for 50+ years and openly said she didn't ever intend to quit. Last month she ended up in hospital with a lung infection and hasn't smoked since. Im really proud of her because she is the last person ever i expected to stop and I know she's surprised with herself too.

Who knows if she'll stick with it long term, but either way I'm proud of her so far and I'm sure your daughter will be too. Try and get your hubby to quit as well so you can go through it together (and to have less temptation around for yourself) :) good luck!
  • quitting should be on my terms, not anyone elses...

Hope you can 'power through' all the crap-o-rific symptoms!! It definitely has to be on your own terms.
    D'oh!!
  • I've been where you are.

Nothing I can say will help, but feel free to vent. Sometimes that would help me.
    How is the government making you quit?
    BulldogMom23 in Crawl to the Finish