EA Forums - Banner

California...

Replies

• no sonic booms are different than earthquakes...sonic boom is when a jet? goes into hyper speed or whatever...so it makes a lot of sense that you have an air force base and would hear it...we dont get them really here cause were not all that close to an **** Base....but like down in L.A i guess they get them often...
    crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56
  • no sonic booms are different than earthquakes...sonic boom is when a jet? goes into hyper speed or whatever...so it makes a lot of sense that you have an air force base and would hear it...we dont get them really here cause were not all that close to an **** Base....but like down in L.A i guess they get them often...

Oh, I thought you guys also had earthquakes that make noise and called it that. I know what the sonic boom is that jets make, fortunately there were never any from the Air Force base here.

But we can have noisy earthquakes, like the one I mentioned before. If it hadn't been on the news a few minutes later that it was actually an earthquake, I would have never known. There was one rolling earthquake we had that you could hear it coming a few minutes before it rolled through.

There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way. Thich Nhat Hanh

• ive never heard of a noisy earthquake... 0_0 now im curious!! what is it? and it reminds me of The Mist....
  • what creeps me out is the videos of all these people who keep hearing the sound of trumpets from the clouds...i mean i dont think or know if its true but to me it could be a start of an awesome horror or scifi flick....
  • what creeps me out is the videos of all these people who keep hearing the sound of trumpets from the clouds...i mean i dont think or know if its true but to me it could be a start of an awesome horror or scifi flick....

Sounds of trumpets from the clouds? Are the videos from people who are either going to or leaving a Dave Matthews concert?
  • could very well be...you never see the people you just see clouds....
  • I just assumed that someone hearing trumpets in the clouds were most likely on some kind of illegal substance.
  • well they probably are, but you can actually hear it in the back ground...its very eerie...but i really think its something doctored....i dont know...one of those unknowns...
  • ive never heard of a noisy earthquake... 0_0 now im curious!! what is it? and it reminds me of The Mist....

Only thing I have found about them is this old news story:
    UPDATE: 11/4/13 10:05 pm – Another earthquake just hit the Edmond/Jones area. This one was a 4.0.

OKLAHOMA COUNTY — There was a lot of talk this weekend about those earthquakes. Many people reported not only feeling the rattle, but hearing a loud noise accompanying the quakes.

It’s that boom which has many asking the question, why are Oklahoma earthquakes so loud.

Often when we think of earthquakes, we see videos of quakes around the world. The shaking of items off shelves and the knocking people down come to mind.

However, when it comes to Oklahoma earthquakes many people say it’s not the shaking but the sound that is unnerving.

Doug Gregory, who lives close to where a number of the earthquakes happened over the weekend, said, “It’s kind of like a thunderstorm going over but you know that’s not happening.”

Mr. Gregory said he felt several over the weekend.

Amie Gibson with the Oklahoma Geological Survey says so far this month Oklahoma has had at least 65 earthquakes. A couple of the largest earthquakes took place this weekend in the area of Memorial Road and Post Road.

Dozens more were recorded just a mile or two away in the area between Midwest Boulevard and Douglas and Northeast 122nd and Memorial Road.

Gibson said, “When it comes in and people are saying it sounds like a truck hit my house or a loud boom outside essentially the earth is acting like a big speaker.”

Gibson says the sound comes from the first wave that comes through, sort of like a sound wave. The earthquake bounces off of the Earth causing that boom.

She says the sight we commonly see, things shaking around, is actually from what’s called the S-wave. Gibson says that wave is what causes damage.

Gibson said, “I really wish we could say no there’s not a bigger one coming, but it’s foolish to think we could guess that.”

While it is unnerving, those who live in the areas where the earthquakes have been very active say it could always be worse.

Mr. Gregory said, “Kind of one of those deals. Tornadoes are worse than this.”

The Oklahoma Geological Survey says many earthquakes in Oklahoma come with a boom, some louder than others.

Tuesday is the anniversary of the largest earthquake to hit our state. The geological survey says it is simply a strange coincidence to have so much activity so close to that anniversary.

• hmmm interesting....
  • Also there is this:
    Why do Oklahoma earthquakes sound like explosions, thunder, etc?

Earthquakes produce two types of seismic waves through the earth. P waves move the earth's surface mainly up and down, and S waves move it mainly side to side. The P waves travel faster so they arrive first.

As the P waves arrive at your location, they cause the ground surface around you, and your floor, to vibrate up and down, just like a loudspeaker cone. The movement is too tiny to be seen, but just large enough to cause a low frequency sound. These sounds are often described as a boom or rumble. To persons who experienced the Oklahoma City bombing, the earthquake sounds are similar to the air blast sounds from that atrocity. Many check to see if their furnace exploded, or go outside to look for an explosion. The sounds are frequently described as "like a sonic boom, only somehow different".

Persons near an Oklahoma earthquake epicenter may hear and/or feel the P wave, and shortly after (only a second or so) may feel and/or hear the S wave. So you may have any of the following:

1. sound only
    2. vibration only
    3. sound and vibration
    4. sound followed by vibration
    5. vibration followed by sound
    6. sound and vibration followed by vibration

or any other possible combination. 1., 2., 3., and 4. are the most common.

There have been a number of instances (especially in Europe) in which vibration and/or sound from relatively small earthquakes, have precipitated heart attacks. Some of these attacks have been fatal. Particularly in recent times when car and truck bombs have become relatively frequent, an unexpected boom and/or shake may cause sudden fear, which may threaten the lives of persons with known or unknown heart conditions. This is the greatest danger in most small felt earthquakes.

When something goes boom in the night, try not to be startled. It may only be a small earthquake. Even if it is an explosion, it is over by the time you hear it.

Jim Lawson, Oklahoma Geological Survey 2004-06-09.

And part of that explains why I thought people in California were referring to some earthquake sounds as a sonic boom, since some almost sound like them that we have had.

• i dont know...i have never heard the sound myself but we arent particularly close to any epicenters either...although apparently there have been new fault lines appearing that we didnt have before and there was an epicenter fairly close to us but i didnt feel it...so i dont know....we mainly get s waves too though....
  • i dont know...i have never heard the sound myself but we arent particularly close to any epicenters either...although apparently there have been new fault lines appearing that we didnt have before and there was an epicenter fairly close to us but i didnt feel it...so i dont know....we mainly get s waves too though....

I just remembered, a vlogger I watch had visited his wife's family in Tulsa and they experienced one of the Oklahoma earthquakes. He described it as different because of the earthquakes he and his wife have experienced in California, Alaska and Japan never had the boom sound that the Oklahoma earthquake had. And he grew up in California before going to Alaska. So I guess we just like to be different...lol

• meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    Earthquakes can be scary enough on their own. I don't think I need the sounds to go with them.
  • lol now i want to feel and hear an Oklahoma earthquake!! *catches a plane to surprise Sakura and Z*
  • lol now i want to feel and hear an Oklahoma earthquake!! *catches a plane to surprise Sakura and Z*

You could end up being here awhile. I don't think I've been close enough to their epicenter's lately to hear any. And most of the recent ones I haven't felt either.

Actually I think the last one I felt was at night and it woke me up from sleep. Got "seasick" in my bed...lol

meinaz wrote: »
    Earthquakes can be scary enough on their own. I don't think I need the sounds to go with them.

These haven't been scary. Though where I live is fortunately far enough from the epicenters that we don't really see the damage the closer places get.

Though I remember a time when I was on a IT help desk for a very large corporation where most of the employees are based in Washington state. Most of our callers were based in that state and it was strange how they tried to insist we had to stay on the phone when we told them the tornado sirens were going off and we had to take shelter because a tornado was headed our way, but if we mentioned an earthquake they freaked out and wanted us to get off the phones and to a shelter. Apparently we Okies just watch the building shake around us until it stops...not sure what people do in the states that are used to earthquakes. :D Oh and we can also have instead of sharknado, quakenado....which probably makes you think they are even scarier...

• a quakenado does sound really scary... 0_0
  • im not being snarky and its personal and no they cant move to another state *see the word personal* if you want to question that as well....and yes, yes....i believe i have made my self VERY CLEAR in other posts where i reside in politics so i dont feel it necessary to explain it again...i dont like repeating myself....you guys made it political...you guys obviously didnt read my original post other wise you would realize i was asking if anyone actually remembers in grade school what they taught you in the multiple, rediculous earthquake drills they use to put us through....you jumped to conclusions to troll...so i say BRAVO....you accomplished what you set out for.... HA and see i didnt jump to name calling and there arent any asterisks for bad words...so i hope you feel great about your self and i hope you have a great new year.....

You titled this "California" then offered "ready for the big one" and "do you remember the safety drills".... We read but we picked what we were interested in talking about. You weren't clear that the discussion should be on your second sentence. *shrug*

Confused how they can't leave the state but they can die. That would be leaving this state...of life. ;)

Thanks for not swearing and all that goodness. You seem like you're trying to avoid getting into the part where you couldn't help but get heated. That's a fine route to take.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • a quakenado does sound really scary... 0_0

d0a2dc80e51ca3abd612b1d73fd9bc96.jpg

• meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    a quakenado does sound really scary... 0_0

The question is does a quakenado make a sound?