EA Forums - Banner

What's a good number of monorail pieces?

Prev1
Just wondering how many pieces it would take to do say an outside loop around town with a few switchbacks into the middle etc...

Going to do a redesign and don't really like doing the railyard so want to get to X amount of pieces then not really worry about it any more.
But my mum says I'm cool

Replies

• As much as you can get. I couldn't keep track of mine either. But my loop goes all the way to SH and back to Springfield. Why don't you start with a design in mind and then lay it week by week.
  • Hard to give a number, there are too many variables.
    1. Size of your Springfield.
    2. Size of your Springfield Heights,
    3. Will you be connecting the two?
    4. Are you only planning a single loop?
    5. Will there be direct flow through to the stations, or curves to bring them into play?
    6. How many stations will you be using? Sub stations?
    7. Will it be a permanent installation, or flex as more land is released?
    8. Will there be any changes made to accommodate changes in your design?

Basically, get as many as you need/want, then think about getting more. And don't forget the donuts!
  • Your question is a legitimate one but as Spyder said, the number of pieces used in a complete monorail depends a lot on the size of your game. For example, my mainline which completely encircles SH and Springfield both (with 3 stations and a LOT of switchbacks and local delivery routes included) totals just over 800 rail sections. My secondary line that serves only the middle of Springfield is in excess of 400 sections. Plus I have about 250 more pieces in storage. The key to using those 90 degree curves is making sure you have nice wide right-of-ways (roads or water) built into your game as you go along. I used a number of double-wide roads to accomplish this and that allows me to add in whole new sections of monorail without having to move a bunch of buildings to accommodate the curvy nature of my track. And I have every piece of real estate available in the game, so I have plenty of room for expansion once EA gives us some more land. The Monorail, from my perspective, is one of the better features of TSTO and part of the reason I continue to spend money and time adding onto the game. Good luck with yours!
    Level 939 (and holding)
    Yes, I'm a real fantasy author!
  • Seven! Oh, I see. It's a rhetorical question... Eight!
    What part of "unsolicited friend requests are all denied" do you NOT get?
  • Ratbag72 wrote: »
    Just wondering how many pieces it would take to do say an outside loop around town with a few switchbacks into the middle etc...

Going to do a redesign and don't really like doing the railyard so want to get to X amount of pieces then not really worry about it any more.
    I just simply build it bit by bit when the varies pieces became available rather than do it in one go. As the poster says above there is too much variables.
    iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone XR (Red product)
  • If you're just starting now give up and do something else with your monorail. I've been working on a full loop around the outer edge of my town since the monorail was first released and I've only managed to get enough straight pieces to finish 2 full sides plus maybe a quarter of the third.
  • empathy77 wrote: »

:D
    We'll chew this planet up and spit it out!
  • Thanks for the replies, guess I'll keep grinding the monorail and go from there. Would love to buy pieces with in game money and maybe use junk collecting buildings a different way as it just feels like a grind.
    But my mum says I'm cool
  • If you're just starting now give up and do something else with your monorail. I've been working on a full loop around the outer edge of my town since the monorail was first released and I've only managed to get enough straight pieces to finish 2 full sides plus maybe a quarter of the third.

Do you happen to know how many straight pieces you've used?

Do you happen to know how many straight pieces you've used?

nope, but I believe its 4 straight pieces per section of land so if you know the map size you can get a rough idea.
  • This many:
    m9rsev.jpg
  • This many:
    m9rsev.jpg

Nice one
  • This many:
    m9rsev.jpg

Nice one

Thanks, I got bored last night. :)
  • Somewhere between 43 and 91.. I read it on the interweb, so TRUE!
  • This many:
    m9rsev.jpg

Nice one

Thanks, I got bored last night. :)

Nice touch!
  • AirurandoP
    843 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    This many:
    m9rsev.jpg

This is BETTER

ffFJ4Q1.jpg
    Neighbour requirements: 100% Freemium. Daily Tapper. Send PM first.

• AirurandoP wrote: »
    This many:
    m9rsev.jpg

This is BETTER

ffFJ4Q1.jpg

Nice
  • AirurandoP
    843 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    AirurandoP wrote: »
    This many:
    m9rsev.jpg

This is BETTER

ffFJ4Q1.jpg

Nice

But maybe not THE BEST .................? :)
    Neighbour requirements: 100% Freemium. Daily Tapper. Send PM first.