EA Forums - Banner

MS Excel

anyone else have issues with this program...back when i took it college this was the only one i had real issues with...Even Accounting was pretty easy for me....but Excel i ALWAYS struggled with it...I mean i have worked in an office that used it and as long as the formulas were already there i was fine with that but creating the dang formulas...i was thinking about taking a refresher course at the adult school we have down the street but if Open Office has one that i could practice with...does anyone know if Open Office or a free Excel program is out there...???
crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56

Replies

• Open Office or Libre Office are pretty good but in my humble opinion it's just not 100% Excel.

Excel still is the top program to use when it comes to this. But you can always try if it suits you, of course. Open Office & Libre Office are both free and pretty similar ( used to be one company ). You can also try google Sheets. Got all the basic functionality for free as well.

Also, on the MS support site you can take a lot of beginner (video)courses for Excel for absolutely zilch.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Excel-2013-training-AAAE974D-3F47-41D9-895E-97A71C2E8A4A
  • ohhh NICE!!! Free is always so much better!!! thank you Elian!! *hugs*
  • ohhh NICE!!! Free is always so much better!!! thank you Elian!! *hugs*

No problemo! Let me know of there's something else you need. I know my way around a bit with these programs. :)
  • Thanks!! will do!! :smiley:
  • If your problem with Excel is specific to the crafting of formulas, I wouldn’t recommend using OpenOffice’s Calc as a practice vehicle for learning about Excel. Their are significant differences between the two in that regard. If you’re going to be spending a big chunk of time creating complicated Excel formulas, here are the two things I learned. One, find a decent reference book. No matter how well versed you are in the minutiae of Excel, you cannot hope to memorize all of the details about the many formulae. Along those same lines, remember that Google is your friend. If you’re having trouble with a formula, chances are someone else has too. Two, “build” complicated formulas a bit at a time, checking the validity of the interim results.

Good luck.
  • i know when i was working for county i had a lot of off time in between my main project and other projects so i would sit there practicing on Excel...other wise i start to doze...thats one of the main reasons im not really looking forward to working in an office....but i never really got to deep into large or complicated formulas....but on the other hand when its going to office work its usually already predone formulas....and updating spreadsheets...but unfortunately office pays more.... the other programs im pretty decent with!! i love working powerpoint...and MS Word is easy!! just Excel always irritated the heck out of me!!!
  • then theres another question...how the heck do you turn a document into a .pdf format? like a typing certificate, resume and all those other documents...i noticed apparently now the education website only accepts .pdf's and im completely lost on updating my information!!! 0_0
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Which version are you using? It's probably File -> Save as-> select PDF from dropdown.
  • is PDF the Adobe Acrobat...honestly i know its there i just never really used it....ive never had a reason to use it...
  • Okay, what do you need to turn into a PDF?
  • looks like the 2 attachments that are already in there are pdf's so probably my resume once i update my resume it would have to be in pdf...
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    If Adobe Acrobat is on your system, depending on how it’s set up you can usually “print to PDF” in Windows thusly:
    1. Open a file in a Windows application.
    2. Choose File > Print.
    3. Choose Adobe PDF as the printer in the Print dialog box.
    4. Click Print.
    5. Click OK, name the PDF file, and save it in a desired location.