EA Forums - Banner

Donut Farming Newbie, Advice please

Replies

• alapalme
    226 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Alright you math people! Check this programmer's math!

My simulator says at 733% I get a better ratio for the 'stop at 2' donuts than the 'stop at 3 donuts' strategy and here's my math to back it up!

FOR THE STOP AT 2 STRAT:
    109k in KEM costs after refund to trigger a bonus round.

1/3 chances of 3 donuts for an additional 0k
    1/3 chances of 2 donuts for an additional 0k
    1/3 chances for an additional 50k at
       1/2 chance of 2 donuts
       1/2 chance of 3 donuts

That comes to
    2/3 chances of 2.5 donuts for an added 0k
    1/3 chances of 2.5 donuts for an added 50k

THAT comes to
    2.5 donuts per extra 16.67k
    or 2.5 donuts per 125.67k

That works out to a ratio of 50.2k per donut for the stop at 2 strategy.
    If I play always to 3 donuts, as demonstrated by earlier posters, the average cost is 50k on top of your investment, so 159k, working out to 53K per donut.

SO: Stopping at 2, for me gives me 1 donut for every 50.2K spent, and stopping at 3 donuts gives me 1 donut for every 53K spent. My math shows it, the simulator shows it-- so if I'm wrong, where did I go wrong?

Have at IT!!
  • I'm able to log in multiple times per day and use this simple strategy:
    XP Collider always on.
    I buy 25 KEM's. I'll buy one at $14,400 then I stop. I can do this up to 5 times a day.
    I go for 3 donuts every time
    I get 2 boxes each round of KEM farming.
    This means up to 30 donuts a day, plus what I get through normal level ups. I'm at level 939 and clicking characters and buildings seems to add more than one donut box per day, I haven't tracked my daily XP, but when I have all characters on 24 hour tasks, I seem to complete a full level when I clear their jobs, plus the buildings which are ready to collect from. Plus, find Maggie, and the weekly railyard donuts. Got one box of donuts after act 1 completed, should get maybe 2-3 more.
    Eventually, as my multiplier grows I'll get more.

I've tried getting 100 to 400 KEM's at a time but it's a major pain placing, clicking, then selling a large number back. Besides, I'm low on cash now, still need 12 pieces of land. Also, doing it this way means I'm not investing as much as many of you are as $14,400 per KEM when you get more than 25 adds up! Once I have all the land, I'll think about reassessing. I can earn over $2 million a day when there is no event going on.

Everyone's game is different. some can get thousands of donuts each week, some struggle to get a few. This isn't a competition with each other, it's all about having fun.

Just curious.. what is your bonus percentage?

For me, I purchase 40 bloodmobiles at a time, collect around 300 donuts and then sell them back. I've never done KEM farming as it seems too complicated for me. I'm in and out quickly.
    You got a great looking town~168sean... Checked out your town, WOW! ~daved
  • alapalme wrote: »
    Alright you math people! Check this programmer's math!

My simulator says at 733% I get a better ratio for the 'stop at 2' donuts than the 'stop at 3 donuts' strategy and here's my math to back it up!

FOR THE STOP AT 2 STRAT:
    109k in KEM costs after refund to trigger a bonus round.

1/3 chances of 3 donuts for an additional 0k
    1/3 chances of 2 donuts for an additional 0k
    1/3 chances for an additional 50k at
       1/2 chance of 2 donuts
       1/2 chance of 3 donuts

That comes to
    2/3 chances of 2.5 donuts for an added 0k
    1/3 chances of 2.5 donuts for an added 50k

THAT comes to
    2.5 donuts per extra 16.67k
    or 2.5 donuts per 125.67k

If I play always to 3 donuts, as demonstrated by earlier posters, the average cost is 50k on top of your investment, so 159k, working out to 53K per donut.

SO: Stopping at 2, for me gives me 1 donut for every 50.2K spent, and stopping at 3 donuts gives me 1 donut for every 53K spent. My math shows it, the simulator shows it-- so if I'm wrong, where did I go wrong?

Have at IT!!

I won't argue your math, only whether it is relevant. Saving $50,000 by not pursuing three doughnuts is great if your intention is to prioritize cash flow over doughnut generation. And if your pursuit of a doughnut opportunity is dependant on that cash flow then you are right. But you are presuming that the saved $50,000 is generating doughnuts. This is true only if your decisions regarding farming change depending on your cash day-to-day.

If you are bloodmobile-farming you are probably right to find the breakeven point regarding second and third tries at the maximum bonus doughnuts - you are depleting your cash reserves and will only stop generating opportunities for bonus doughnuts when your cash runs out (or hits your predetermined floor). Thus your in-game cash is generating doughnut opportunities until it is gone.

If you are KEM-farming chances are your farming decisions are not determined by your in-game cash position beyond confirming that you can afford to continue. Rather, they are determined by your space allotment and game-play frequency. In this case saving $50,000 (or $100,000) by not pursuing the maximum doughnuts possible for each bonus box results in fewer doughnuts (and more in-game cash) at the end of the day. Because your in-game cash position cannot give you more space for KEMs or make it possible to log in more frequently at 4-hour intervals. And it is these two factors that determine how many tries at bonus doughnuts you get. If you choose to settle for two (or one) in this situation you are prioritizing your cash reserves (which just sit there doing nothing) over generating doughnuts.
  • Ah. That is where we differ. My priority is to get the most possible donuts at all costs. If you are constrained by space and not cash then indeed go for the three donuts!

I've never had any significant house farm and I've kept my town for the most part well designed so I do not have any substantial cash reverse at all.

I keep my credit at one million. After clearing tasks and buildings I spend everything on KEM until I'm back to 1 million. My limiting factor is cash and so the stop at 2 strategy works here.

I should then amend to make it clear, the point of changing strategies is to optimize donuts per cash.

If you are limited by space or time and you just want to offload a bunch of cash then sure, do the three!

If you are grinding for donuts with no reserver cash, take my simulator results!

Take care
  • Jonalinn wrote: »
    I'm able to log in multiple times per day and use this simple strategy:
    XP Collider always on.
    I buy 25 KEM's. I'll buy one at $14,400 then I stop. I can do this up to 5 times a day.
    I go for 3 donuts every time
    I get 2 boxes each round of KEM farming.
    This means up to 30 donuts a day, plus what I get through normal level ups. I'm at level 939 and clicking characters and buildings seems to add more than one donut box per day, I haven't tracked my daily XP, but when I have all characters on 24 hour tasks, I seem to complete a full level when I clear their jobs, plus the buildings which are ready to collect from. Plus, find Maggie, and the weekly railyard donuts. Got one box of donuts after act 1 completed, should get maybe 2-3 more.
    Eventually, as my multiplier grows I'll get more.

I've tried getting 100 to 400 KEM's at a time but it's a major pain placing, clicking, then selling a large number back. Besides, I'm low on cash now, still need 12 pieces of land. Also, doing it this way means I'm not investing as much as many of you are as $14,400 per KEM when you get more than 25 adds up! Once I have all the land, I'll think about reassessing. I can earn over $2 million a day when there is no event going on.

Everyone's game is different. some can get thousands of donuts each week, some struggle to get a few. This isn't a competition with each other, it's all about having fun.

For me, I purchase 40 bloodmobiles at a time, collect around 300 donuts and then sell them back. I've never done KEM farming as it seems too complicated for me. I'm in and out quickly.

This is what I do, but I don't get 300 donuts for 40 bloodmobiles. What's your percentage at. I'm just over 1000%, not including SH. I think that puts me at 1150%?
  • rockyb2006 wrote: »

This is what I do, but I don't get 300 donuts for 40 bloodmobiles. What's your percentage at. I'm just over 1000%, not including SH. I think that puts me at 1150%?

Just a smidge under 3000%. I should reach beyond that sometime this week. I know everyone likes to play the game differently, but I focus more on town design which is why I never house/KEM farm.

If I farm 40 bloodmobiles, say 5x a day, I wind up with about 1500 donuts/day. Once I reached over 20k, donuts, I sort of stopped farming. Now, I only do it on an as-needed basis.

I think it's 485.9%. I absolutely hate the SH buildings (At least they are all upgraded to the max!) and had them stored until the new land came out, so put them back out. But I still hate them! It didn't matter to me for months I was losing donuts by keeping those stored. I have about 560 donuts right now and am not buying everything new, except characters since they pay better than buildings. I don't buy all the new items which come with multipliers, but I did capitalize awhile back when the SH tennis courts came out. I could have gotten a lot more of those but it's such a grind refilling the inventory. I had the SH resources so full after that last 2 strip expansion I was able to buy the new SH water without going under 300 in any of them. I also got those wailing walls a couple Halloween events back with the multipliers.

i may buy a set or two of the country flags, with the 7% multipler. I already have them but going to wait to make sure I have enough donutes for whatever else comes our way before Destination Springfield is over.

I've tried the bloodmobile route but it eats the cash quickly. If I ever approach your levels, I would certainly go your route. However, building and clearing 25 KEM's every four hours is pretty easy. This strategy will work for many around my levels, especially now, if they are buying land and low on cash.

Started play early December 2014, took a few weeks off and resumed after Christmas Day. I didn't get much from the Xmas event, it never actually started for me. I remember "Pretend to Ski" jobs for a few characters, but I never got the elf cannon and whatever game you played with it. My daily log in bonus gave me plenty of ammo for the cannon, I just didn't know what to do with it! I did get a few freemium things for my game; the ToyShop, Elf Cave, and the Barbarian with the castle. All those are gone now and maybe return for donuts.

I think it's 485.9%. I absolutely hate the SH buildings (At least they are all upgraded to the max!) and had them stored until the new land came out, so put them back out. But I still hate them! It didn't matter to me for months I was losing donuts by keeping those stored. I have about 560 donuts right now and am not buying everything new, except characters since they pay better than buildings. I don't buy all the new items which come with multipliers, but I did capitalize awhile back when the SH tennis courts came out. I could have gotten a lot more of those but it's such a grind refilling the inventory. I had the SH resources so full after that last 2 strip expansion I was able to buy the new SH water without going under 300 in any of them. I also got those wailing walls a couple Halloween events back with the multipliers.

i may buy a set or two of the country flags, with the 7% multipler. I already have them but going to wait to make sure I have enough donutes for whatever else comes our way before Destination Springfield is over.

I've tried the bloodmobile route but it eats the cash quickly. If I ever approach your levels, I would certainly go your route. However, building and clearing 25 KEM's every four hours is pretty easy. This strategy will work for many around my levels, especially now, if they are buying land and low on cash.

Started play early December 2014, took a few weeks off and resumed after Christmas Day. I didn't get much from the Xmas event, it never actually started for me. I remember "Pretend to Ski" jobs for a few characters, but I never got the elf cannon and whatever game you played with it. My daily log in bonus gave me plenty of ammo for the cannon, I just didn't know what to do with it! I did get a few freemium things for my game; the ToyShop, Elf Cave, and the Barbarian with the castle. All those are gone now and maybe return for donuts.

I keep most of my SH bldgs stored as well. Right now, one of my biggest wastes of space is my Monsarno Complex. I have it out and it's useless lol! But, I like the way it looks so it stays.

In my inventory, I have dozens of percentage boosting items that I just don't put out. Either they don't fit in with what I'm designing at the time or they're just too wonky to include at all. I also don't buy new items w/multipliers just because they can boost my percentage. Some just aren't my style. I usually tend to buy bonus multipliers if I can hide them behind something. Anytime I needed something for SH, I headed over to the Googolplex and let it do the work. In fact, it's currently what I'm doing to purchase the remaining water lots that recently became available.

I have a set of the country flags for the 7.5% bonus and tried to hide them next to the mountain range. As for the bloodmobiles, I don't mind at all that it eats up cash. When I first started seriously farming bloodmobiles I had around $462M. Now, I'm at $585M. The higher your percentage, the faster you earn back what you've spent. As for how long I've been playing, I started when the game was released. No breaks/time away... steady daily player. However, other than online poker, it's the only game I play so there's that.

In my inventory, I have dozens of percentage boosting items that I just don't put out. Either they don't fit in with what I'm designing at the time or they're just too wonky to include at all. I also don't buy new items w/multipliers just because they can boost my percentage. Some just aren't my style. I usually tend to buy bonus multipliers if I can hide them behind something. Anytime I needed something for SH, I headed over to the Googolplex and let it do the work. In fact, it's currently what I'm doing to purchase the remaining water lots that recently became available.

Do you mind sharing what you're using to get to the 3000% plateau from a design perspective? I'm just in that middle ground now, I was comfortably at 500% and generating 100 donuts/day with a KEM farm and just built out a literal field of flags on some of the new land to get to 1200% and of course skyrocketed the donut production.

But eventually I want to rid myself of the pure farming (about 1/3 of my Springfield taken up by that) and focus more on design, but I don't see the path with the limited # of bonus % items in the game. Is it really just a lot of higher % items hidden strategically behind buildings, or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)
  • alapalme wrote: »

I haven't given full consideration to your maths, but would (as previously mentioned) be more concerned with the fine details of how you've broken down and modelled the problem. In short, you might have got your sums right yet still slightly misapplied your economics.

In my analysis, I think the circumstances and costs of getting to play a round of bonuts need to be treated separately to the bonuts gameplay itself. The price paid to play is a historic sunk cost once the game pops up, it doesn't influence the game, so shouldn't affect playing strategy IMHO. It is, moreover, the opportunity cost that should be given due consideration whilst playing the game - the future, not the past; that is, if you don't spend an extra $50K on another box, what would you do with that same $50K instead? If your answer is (like mine) that you'd want to invest it in generating as many other donuts as efficiently as possible, then the problem feeds back into itself... making it difficult to calculate (and hence why I agree that simulation is an interesting idea here). I do, however, believe that treating all KEMs as fixed price is an oversimplification that significantly affects the outcome -- less so the more KEMs you buy in each batch, I agree, but nevertheless still an important factor for a batch of 70 KEMs.
    Jonalinn wrote: »

I keep most of my SH bldgs stored as well. Right now, one of my biggest wastes of space is my Monsarno Complex. I have it out and it's useless lol! But, I like the way it looks so it stays.

I have a set of the country flags for the 7.5% bonus and tried to hide them next to the mountain range. As for the bloodmobiles, I don't mind at all that it eats up cash. When I first started seriously farming bloodmobiles I had around $462M. Now, I'm at $585M. The higher your percentage, the faster you earn back what you've spent. As for how long I've been playing, I started when the game was released. No breaks/time away... steady daily player. However, other than online poker, it's the only game I play so there's that.

I guess at some point my game will change from an arithmetric towards a geometric progression. I have the room for plenty of stuff now and have my design almost where I want it. My SH has the shops, the monorail stuff, and the prisons and such. I combined the Pagan with the Halloween events, they fit well together. Still a bit crowded but made some room to strech it out. Would really like the rest the land up there! EA really needs to unlock it for us. Most my neighbors have hit a billion so most everyone needs it. I was able to eliminate some of the mountains when that glitch was around, wish I could get rid of most of them. SH has its own monorail, but I didn't make a full loop yet. Don't know if I want to connect it to my main town, those tunnels don't line up I read. I can do it through the mountains I erased if I choose.

My main Springfield has a monorail looping around perimeter, but until I get the last of the land, it's broken and needs completion. Still plenty of room if I wanted to house farm. Don't yet, Haven't gotten a warning yet my town is too big and can't add. I'll figure out how I want the Destination Springfield to look when the event nears completion. I have a pretty cool western town with a huge area with all those rock formations. I have the Money Mountain, IRS, and tree all fully upgraded and all the aspirationals.

It wasn't that long ago I was banking a million a day, now it's over $2 million.
  • I agree re: the simplification and I will implement a modification to account for the variable price in KEMs. and post back here with the results! looking forward to see it's effect.

Yes, different models yield different results. If you consider "what would you do with that 50k otherwise" it seems that opening for 3 would always be the best bet- looking only "into the future".

However, my model is more along the lines of: I can generate roughly 2 million in-game cash in one day. What is the best strategy to convert that entire sum into donuts. The model I proposed (whereby the total investment per donut; rather than the cost for bonus boxes only), applies. Looking only at the 50k and not the total investment sets the initial "cost" to 0, which doesn't work.

I think another poster had it right-- if you're on a tight budget and looking to maximize donuts for a set amount of income (regardless of space used)- my strategy and simulator is the best. In all other cases, the 3donuts per box until 50k for a bonus round, is the best.

In any case, I'll do the modification for KEM Variable costs !
  • girl22721 wrote: »
    In my analysis, I think the circumstances and costs of getting to play a round of bonuts need to be treated separately to the bonuts gameplay itself. The price paid to play is a historic sunk cost once the game pops up, it doesn't influence the game, so shouldn't affect playing strategy IMHO.

Exactly right.

• girl22721 wrote: »

In my analysis, I think the circumstances and costs of getting to play a round of bonuts need to be treated separately to the bonuts gameplay itself. The price paid to play is a historic sunk cost once the game pops up, it doesn't influence the game, so shouldn't affect playing strategy IMHO. It is, moreover, the opportunity cost that should be given due consideration whilst playing the game - the future, not the past; that is, if you don't spend an extra $50K on another box, what would you do with that same $50K instead? If your answer is (like mine) that you'd want to invest it in generating as many other donuts as efficiently as possible, then the problem feeds back into itself... making it difficult to calculate (and hence why I agree that simulation is an interesting idea here). I do, however, believe that treating all KEMs as fixed price is an oversimplification that significantly affects the outcome -- less so the more KEMs you buy in each batch, I agree, but nevertheless still an important factor for a batch of 70 KEMs.

I agree with 99% of what you wrote here, it's all about future spending not past - but I actually believe it makes it easier to calculate the right path on an individual basis. Just using my own current stats as an example, it becomes a simple tree (and I will ignore the first 24 cheap KEMs until the end because they are even easier to analyze)

At my current % it takes me about 7.5 KEMs to generate a bonut level, which costs me $108K to build, but I can also resell them afterwards so the real cost is $81K for 1M XP.

So when the bonus box pops up, the costs to proceed are easy to calculate after the first pick:

3 donuts: Woo hoo! No cost.

2 donuts: It will cost me on average $75K to gain one extra donut.

1 donut: It will cost me $50K to gain an average of 1.5 donuts with the first pick, and on average $75K to guarantee I gain two donuts, but that second pick means I'm paying $50K for a single donut.

Or I can spend $81K to build more KEMs which will by default net me an average of 2 donuts on my "free" first pick the next time the bonus box pops up.

So at this point I'm best off keeping 2 or 3 donuts, and re-choosing ONCE if I get 1 donut but as my % bonus gets a bit higher, even that will change.

It's what makes it hard to give a "one size fits all" answer, you need to know the math for your own town. And I know I'm completely ignoring limitations on space, town design, etc, etc. those are all important but I'm looking at it from a pure farming perspective.

And the reason I ignore the first 24 KEMs from the math is that they are SO cheap by comparison that there is no math to support the extra donut picks at a high % level, but can make a difference when you're starting out.

Do you mind sharing what you're using to get to the 3000% plateau from a design perspective? I'm just in that middle ground now, I was comfortably at 500% and generating 100 donuts/day with a KEM farm and just built out a literal field of flags on some of the new land to get to 1200% and of course skyrocketed the donut production.

But eventually I want to rid myself of the pure farming (about 1/3 of my Springfield taken up by that) and focus more on design, but I don't see the path with the limited # of bonus % items in the game. Is it really just a lot of higher % items hidden strategically behind buildings, or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

No problem at all, I'm happy to share :)

When we were in the Old West event, I purchased chalk outlines, gray mares, suspicious dirt piles, BBQ Pigs, burning bushes, tree swings, chicken coops and backwater breweries . I basically purchased premium items that I could design into the space.

I did the same thing for other events... buying items that would enhance whatever the theme was. One thing I did was buy massive amounts of BBQ Pigs because I could hide them very easily. I must have hundreds. Also, the gray mares can fit in behind houses and work very well with the Cletus farm area. What pushed me up towards 3000% was last year's Halloween event. My dedicated space for that is somewhat massive (actually, it takes up the most room in my town).

I do want to add that buying BBQ Pigs isn't your best option overall. You can do better buying Jet Engine Bikes. For instance... Jet Engine Bikes cost 30 donuts w/2.00% bonus. But BBQ Pigs cost 60 donuts for 2.50% bonus. Even with this, I still buy BBQ Pigs because I can hide them much more easily.

Cars are another thing I use often. Lots of my houses & businesses have them adjacent or behind. My Powell Motors area is a fenced in lot with 12 limos. Vehicles work well in almost any area. When I was where you are at now, I worked on getting whales so that I could push my percentage higher.

To answer your question though, speaking for myself, yes... it really is a lot of higher percentage items hidden throughout the town. It's fun to challenge yourself to see how creative you can be. Sometimes I'll open my game and go "whoa, I can hide that!" and move it.

When we were in the Old West event, I purchased chalk outlines, gray mares, suspicious dirt piles, BBQ Pigs, burning bushes, tree swings, chicken coops and backwater breweries . I basically purchased premium items that I could design into the space.

I did the same thing for other events... buying items that would enhance whatever the theme was. One thing I did was buy massive amounts of BBQ Pigs because I could hide them very easily. I must have hundreds. Also, the gray mares can fit in behind houses and work very well with the Cletus farm area. What pushed me up towards 3000% was last year's Halloween event. My dedicated space for that is somewhat massive (actually, it takes up the most room in my town).

I do want to add that buying BBQ Pigs isn't your best option overall. You can do better buying Jet Engine Bikes. For instance... Jet Engine Bikes cost 30 donuts w/2.00% bonus. But BBQ Pigs cost 60 donuts for 2.50% bonus. Even with this, I still buy BBQ Pigs because I can hide them much more easily.

Cars are another thing I use often. Lots of my houses & businesses have them adjacent or behind. My Powell Motors area is a fenced in lot with 12 limos. Vehicles work well in almost any area. When I was where you are at now, I worked on getting whales so that I could push my percentage higher.

To answer your question though, speaking for myself, yes... it really is a lot of higher percentage items hidden throughout the town. It's fun to challenge yourself to see how creative you can be. Sometimes I'll open my game and go "whoa, I can hide that!" and move it.

Cool, thanks...I was hoping that would be the case.

The "flag farm" for now, is the ultimate efficiency in % per donut spent to accumulate a stockpile.

In the next phase it will definitely be more about design and efficiency of space used - a 2% jet engine bike or 2.5% bbq pig take up a LOT less Springfield space than 8-10 flags. Not as easy to hide 2K flags :joy:

Cool, thanks...I was hoping that would be the case.

The "flag farm" for now, is the ultimate efficiency in % per donut spent to accumulate a stockpile.

In the next phase it will definitely be more about design and efficiency of space used - a 2% jet engine bike or 2.5% bbq pig take up a LOT less Springfield space than 8-10 flags. Not as easy to hide 2K flags :joy:

I only purchased one set of flags because I need to micro-manage my item count. I'm currently over 9100 pieces (yikes!)
  • alapalme
    226 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Hey guys

I updated my Simulator
    You can now either enter a fixed cost item, or choose KEM and enter the quantity you build per batch. It'll calculate the average price per KEM based on your batch quantity (say you build 70 at once) including the 'cheap' round.
    http://lwshost.com/tsto/simkem.pl
  • I can only imagine what the poor OP must think of the direction and depth this conversation has taken - lots of great info though!
  • I can only imagine what the poor OP must think of the direction and depth this conversation has taken - lots of great info though!

Whoa, you're right! My apologies :o:(