EA Forums - Banner

Donut Farming Newbie, Advice please

124Next

Replies

• With the variable cost of KEMs accounted for in my SIM, my average cost per donut using the 2-3 strategy is an estimated $40k, rather than the $50.2 K I calculated earlier based on the fix price. Def worth following the strategy! Thanks to everyone who suggested to include that variation, it makes a significant difference.
  • FYI here is the box cost stats I mentioned above.
    girl22721 wrote: »
    In my analysis, I think the circumstances and costs of getting to play a round of bonuts need to be treated separately to the bonuts gameplay itself. The price paid to play is a historic sunk cost once the game pops up, it doesn't influence the game, so shouldn't affect playing strategy IMHO.

Exactly right.

+1 Exactly.

Only compare the average cost of 3 donuts (50K) with the cost of getting another bonus box, play which is less.
  • Thanks for all those productive posts. Really helps another newbie like me.
    Those high multipliers so many of you have...wow. Here am I with 233%. I just started KEM farming not long ago and haven't reached max level yet. With my income I can build 30 each cycle. The problem is now I don't have enough cash income to buy new land.
  • At what bonus percentage does KEM farming become viable? I have 284% plus all the SH hidden bonus buildings. Been playing freemium for about two years. Should I turn the collider on and go for it? I play pretty consistently on a four-hour schedule currently so it probably wouldn't add too much trouble to build and sell them each cycle if I could get a good amount of donuts for it.
  • At what bonus percentage does KEM farming become viable? I have 284% plus all the SH hidden bonus buildings. Been playing freemium for about two years. Should I turn the collider on and go for it? I play pretty consistently on a four-hour schedule currently so it probably wouldn't add too much trouble to build and sell them each cycle if I could get a good amount of donuts for it.

If you can do it every 4 hours and you can build at least 24 every 4 hours you're already profitable.
    25 donuts for 10 days on the collider. If you build 24 KEM's 4 times per day at your multiplier you should get one bonus box each time-- giving you 12 donuts / day, 15 or 18 if you can manage 5 or 6 rounds in a day. You'll pay off the collider in 2 days and the other 8 are free donuts for you!
  • alapalme wrote: »
    At what bonus percentage does KEM farming become viable? I have 284% plus all the SH hidden bonus buildings. Been playing freemium for about two years. Should I turn the collider on and go for it? I play pretty consistently on a four-hour schedule currently so it probably wouldn't add too much trouble to build and sell them each cycle if I could get a good amount of donuts for it.

If you can do it every 4 hours and you can build at least 24 every 4 hours you're already profitable.
    25 donuts for 10 days on the collider. If you build 24 KEM's 4 times per day at your multiplier you should get one bonus box each time-- giving you 12 donuts / day, 15 or 18 if you can manage 5 or 6 rounds in a day. You'll pay off the collider in 2 days and the other 8 are free donuts for you!

I'm not even close to max level yet though. Around level 165. Still seems like farming will be very donut profitable for me though, and I have lots of unused land. Thanks, I'll start trying it out tonight :)

That depends a lot on how much income you generate. I started my farming around the same % level as you are at, but I've played for a long time and had a huge field of blue houses for cash farming that I bought when the house prices didn't rise when you bought more than a few.

As a rule of thumb, I'd say to try for a day or two without the collider and just farm KEMs at a net $0 break-even point relative to your income. If that generates at least 1M XP per day (one set of bonus box), then you can safely turn on your collider for 10 days for 25 donuts - yes it costs 2.5 donuts a day, but your output should go up by 5X so it easily pays for itself.

Obviously you can do it with less income, but there's a point where it's hardly worth the effort to farm every four hours just to gain a few donuts a week, hence my suggestion above.

But if you can afford to at least build the 24 cheap KEMs every four hours and not drain your $ supply, you're probably in good enough shape to go farming.

The alternative is to save up a bunch of money, turn on the collider for one day, and then REALLY go to town, building as many KEMs as you can in 24 hours :)
  • I'm not even close to max level yet though. Around level 165. Still seems like farming will be very donut profitable for me though, and I have lots of unused land. Thanks, I'll start trying it out tonight :)

Sorry! I assumed you were at 939... So you'll not get nearly as many donuts but you'll speed up your way to 939. Still worth it, possibly! Good luck!

I think it's highly likely that running the collider 24/7 would be a good choice for you. If you want an answer based on strict profitability, this can be accomplished by measuring the XP generated by your town for a typical day. However, assuming that your town contains a pretty ordinary mix of buildings and characters, the magic number is probably in a ball park pretty close to where you are, so I'd suggest simply going ahead and trying it anyway. It can be quite reasonably argued that the benefits of running the collider 24/7 are so significant that it's worthwhile to do so even if it means paying a small premium to cross the break-even point a little sooner and then begin enjoying the spoils as soon as possible.
  • whilst the flags at the moment are the best donuts to % return, when out of the events, mystery boxes are the best donuts to % return, with the equivalent of 100% every 800 donuts, or 1% every 8 donuts, which is incredible compared to the bbq pigs and the jet thing earlier, usually it's 2% around 40 donuts for a specific item.

you spend 40 donuts on mystery boxes, and on average over the 800 donuts you'd get 5% back. a much bigger return.

However, there are obviously only so many itchy and scratchy billboards, and channel 4 news trucks you can deal with!

they are easy to hide though.

i'm currently 409% and doing KEM every 4 hours, staying around the $500k mark. usually on 4 hour returns i get up to around 800k, then back down a bit if i have to choose up to 3 donuts for each one. i think i'm still at hte % where buying two boxes to get 3 is still viable. I hate it when maggie boxes fail though. probably not worth doing. at night i do 8 hour tasks, occasionally 12, and make my money back up that way, occasioanlyl doing a half asleep KEM turnover whilst having a wizz lol

I can pretty much get anything I want time-limited on the store for free, but it's a grind. Hoping to get to the point soon in the next few months where i can get like.. .100 donuts a day so i don't have to ever buy them again!

at the moment i'm usually getting 3-4 bonut boxes per KEM farm, say 3 times a day, so 25-40 donuts a day, sometimes more if there's a good daily challenge/maggie box/event bonut etc.
  • Where are the mystery boxes? Thanks :
    Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

• meredythl wrote: »
    Where are the mystery boxes? Thanks :

Store > Premium > Mystery Box (6 donuts)
    You got a great looking town~168sean... Checked out your town, WOW! ~daved
  • Flags offer a high donut per percent ratio, but they are too bulky for large scale purchases. I decided to stay with mystery boxes. News van and IS boards.
  • jellypawn wrote: »
    whilst the flags at the moment are the best donuts to % return, when out of the events, mystery boxes are the best donuts to % return, with the equivalent of 100% every 800 donuts, or 1% every 8 donuts, which is incredible compared to the bbq pigs and the jet thing earlier, usually it's 2% around 40 donuts for a specific item.

Don't forget beach hideaways (Springfield Heights items), 40 donuts each, maximum of 5. Each hideaway, when maxed, gives 20% bonus.
    https://forums.ea.com/en/the-simpsons-tapped-out/discussion/81718/sh-tables#latest
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • alapalme wrote: »
    I did create an online calculator for myself, in trying to find what strategy I should be using to optimize cash per donut when clearing KEMs.

I know someone posted the math a long time ago, telling you at one point it's not worth opening the 2nd or 3rd donut box (based on your multiplier) but the sim makes it easier.

When I started, the SIM told me to open all three boxes; with my current multiplier (733+SH) the SIM tells me to stop at 2 OR 3 donuts (but never 1)-- I get a better payout this way. I enter my multiplier everytime it changes significantly and one day the sim will tell me to just take the first box each time!

You can try it here:
    http://lwshost.com/tsto/simkem.pl
    You can change all the variables so if you want to try with bloodmobiles instead of KEM's etc you can just put the correct cost in there.

Let me know what I can do to add / improve...!
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.
  • Muhsterino wrote: »
    jellypawn wrote: »
    whilst the flags at the moment are the best donuts to % return, when out of the events, mystery boxes are the best donuts to % return, with the equivalent of 100% every 800 donuts, or 1% every 8 donuts, which is incredible compared to the bbq pigs and the jet thing earlier, usually it's 2% around 40 donuts for a specific item.

Don't forget beach hideaways (Springfield Heights items), 40 donuts each, maximum of 5. Each hideaway, when maxed, gives 20% bonus.
    https://forums.ea.com/en/the-simpsons-tapped-out/discussion/81718/sh-tables#latest

Thank you!!! Awesome to know.
  • girl22721
    1159 posts Member
    alapalme wrote: »
    I updated my Simulator
    You can now either enter a fixed cost item, or choose KEM and enter the quantity you build per batch. It'll calculate the average price per KEM based on your batch quantity (say you build 70 at once) including the 'cheap' round.

Just wanted to add some belated thanks for the update - you created a really useful tool which often gets re-linked in forum discussions! :)
  • girl22721 wrote: »
    alapalme wrote: »
    I updated my Simulator
    You can now either enter a fixed cost item, or choose KEM and enter the quantity you build per batch. It'll calculate the average price per KEM based on your batch quantity (say you build 70 at once) including the 'cheap' round.

Just wanted to add some belated thanks for the update - you created a really useful tool which often gets re-linked in forum discussions! :)

Yes sir you sure did. I use you calculator quite a bit. Thank you for your hard work. From now on I will make sure to credit you for this wonderful tool

Also @girl22721 thanks for letting me know who deserves the credit.
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • All these calculations about the most efficient yield make my head spin :) My issue is TIME with 5 games to keep up (yeah, why do I do it? I just can't give any of them up). I KEM farm because I can "set it and forget it" then harvest them when can get back to each game. All my towns are over 900% multiplier and I always pick for 3 donuts to save TIME.

I also value the look of my Springfields over just obtaining multiplier items (designing was what first attracted me to this game), so I probably will never achieve those stellar amounts of cash and donuts, just enough to make events enjoyable.
  • Muhsterino
    4498 posts Member
    @alapalme Thanks for the KEM sim. :smiley: I have added the KEM sim link as a signature so that it is easily available for players to use.
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS