EA Forums - Banner

How honest are you?

Replies

• simp7fan
    4165 posts Member
    You have to rely on a chain of honesty. You might feel right and honest, but what about someone seeking to claim the money who isn't the owner. What about if it goes unclaimed for a month or so, then it goes to a random employee.

I don't think I've found anything more than a $5. Any higher and I might feel guilty anyway. I mostly find loose change, which I feel unguilty about picking up. I usually pick it up for fun, like "find a lucky penny" except blecch to pennies. ;)
    HomerND84 wrote: »
    people don't have to be criminals they can be junkies or alcoholics.
    In this case, using the card they'd be criminals. I guess you mean non-career criminals.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • @simp7fan I don't know the score on money handed in to shops and what happens if it goes unclaimed. I think if the owner came in the shop might check cctv to see if that person to check to see if they had lost it.

As for the cards yes mate that's what I was on about non-career criminals. It's like I suggested junkies or alcoholics in need
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

Love you Davo Rest in paradise
  • Let's see. I once found $10 on the floor of a store I was working at. There were no customers around and the job really was terrible with a bunch of dishonest employees and store manager. The customers weren't much better either, stealing underwear by taking off their own dirty underwear in the middle of the store and replacing them with the new clean underwear in the package. So I didn't care when I pocketed the money. Everyone would have tried claiming it was theirs anyhow.

Otherwise, I would turn in money I found or if I saw some dropped return it to it's owner. If it's something left in a cash machine, then there would be a record of who the person was that last used it, so they could easily be found.
    There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way. Thich Nhat Hanh

• Let's see. I once found $10 on the floor of a store I was working at. There were no customers around and the job really was terrible with a bunch of dishonest employees and store manager. The customers weren't much better either, stealing underwear by taking off their own dirty underwear in the middle of the store and replacing them with the new clean underwear in the package. So I didn't care when I pocketed the money. Everyone would have tried claiming it was theirs anyhow.

Otherwise, I would turn in money I found or if I saw some dropped return it to it's owner. If it's something left in a cash machine, then there would be a record of who the person was that last used it, so they could easily be found.

Really?? They would do that and swap their underwear?? Now I've heard everything.

See I don't know about money found on floor what would happen I don't know if they would check cctv but if it was cash machine then they would check. When I lost £5 I was on my way to customer services when a woman approached me cos she thought I lost the money cos she said I looked flustered. I don't know what the procedures are for lost money. I've worked in shops before but this wasn't mentioned.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• HomerND84 wrote: »
    Let's see. I once found $10 on the floor of a store I was working at. There were no customers around and the job really was terrible with a bunch of dishonest employees and store manager. The customers weren't much better either, stealing underwear by taking off their own dirty underwear in the middle of the store and replacing them with the new clean underwear in the package. So I didn't care when I pocketed the money. Everyone would have tried claiming it was theirs anyhow.

Really?? They would do that and swap their underwear?? Now I've heard everything.

See I don't know about money found on floor what would happen I don't know if they would check cctv but if it was cash machine then they would check. When I lost £5 I was on my way to customer services when a woman approached me cos she thought I lost the money cos she said I looked flustered. I don't know what the procedures are for lost money. I've worked in shops before but this wasn't mentioned.

Yep, I found packages all over the place in the two days I bothered to work there filled with dirty old underwear, the new underwear completely missing. Plus the employees there would constantly be off the registers shopping for themselves in front of the manager and he blamed me for the lines being so busy, constantly got on me for not wearing the right shoes (I was wearing dress shoes that had no back, which he wanted them to be shoes with a back. The other employees wore whatever they wanted, which was usually sneakers). It was a Ross store, which is a chain store in the States that sells discounted name brand clothing. Too much inconsistency with what was required of the employees I decided to leave.

My mom has dropped money a ton of times, always $20s and every time a person has stopped her and returned it to her. I am surprised so many are doing this for her, especially since she doesn't bother putting the money up in her purse when she first gets it, this is why she keeps dropping it, and at some points I think they should just keep it to teach her a lesson about learning to put the money up instead of walking around with it in her hands. She gets angry at me if I tell her to put it in her purse because she wants to do it when she gets to the car or at another later point.

• Wow I think the manager had it in for you for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing the same as the others.

I'd do the same to my mum as you. I can't believe how some people would be so careless. I've seen people especially kids with their phones in their hands held out listening to music that's asking for them to be robbed. These people have no regards for their stuff. Me am for ever discreetly tapping my pockets to make sure I've still got my phone and wallet.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

Wow I think the manager had it in for you for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing the same as the others.

The more I think about the manager of that place, I think he is basically a pushover that the other employees walk all over him. I wasn't willing to use him as a doormat. I probably could have gotten away with the same things as the others, but the job wasn't worth it to begin with and I ended up getting work in IT like I wanted rather than being a cashier for minimum wage.
    I'd do the same to my mum as you. I can't believe how some people would be so careless. I've seen people especially kids with their phones in their hands held out listening to music that's asking for them to be robbed. These people have no regards for their stuff. Me am for ever discreetly tapping my pockets to make sure I've still got my phone and wallet.

Yeah, it surprises me how much people leave things so easily accessible. I have to force my mom to put her purse up at restaurants or keep things with her, other wise she'd leave it on her walker somewhere behind her out of sight of us but easily reachable by anyone passing by. Or she has to be trained that if she goes to an ATM at night and it's a walk up, do not walk around with the money out in plain sight. I watch people at restaurants (adults) who just lay their phones down near the edge of the table where anyone can grab it as they walk by (that's for those actually not on their phones). My mom also has a tendency to have her phone sticking a bit out of her jacket pocket, I can't remember how many times I have taken it out of her pocket and held on to it before she finally realizes hours later her phone is missing. She never feels it leaving her pocket and she doesn't pay attention to any one around her so people could walk up with a marching band behind them and she wouldn't notice until they got her attention...then she'd jump in surprise. :D She's very easy to sneak up on.

• Going back about 17 years ago I would be 16 I was in a pub with my dad and it was a place where anyone would leave their money phones etc on tables and be able to go the toilet or a smoke and no one would take thier stuff. You couldn't do that today. Back then I thought nothing off it but now am shocked. So now am very weary of my stuff.

The manager sounds like a useless manager and was given it cos the person lied.

In away your mom is very lucky it was you that took her stuff and not anyone else. Maybe you need to have a chat with her to say how angry you are with her that she keeps doing this and you need her to be more aleart. She may not like it but in the long run respect you and be thankful to you.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

Going back about 17 years ago I would be 16 I was in a pub with my dad and it was a place where anyone would leave their money phones etc on tables and be able to go the toilet or a smoke and no one would take thier stuff. You couldn't do that today. Back then I thought nothing off it but now am shocked. So now am very weary of my stuff.

In away your mom is very lucky it was you that took her stuff and not anyone else. Maybe you need to have a chat with her to say how angry you are with her that she keeps doing this and you need her to be more aleart. She may not like it but in the long run respect you and be thankful to you.

I've told her plenty of times, she doesn't listen to me. Her and my brother still think I'm like 5 years old or something and don't know anything. Unless someone else tells them, they won't listen to me. I've gotten on her a lot of times about yelling out her login information for any of her stuff in public places, because she wants me to fix that she is having trouble with finding something on whatever she is telling me to login to. I haven't gotten it through her head yet that talking very loudly while giving out your login ID and password aren't a good idea. Not only that, she even loudly proclaims all the passwords she uses. She makes copies, upon copies of things she shouldn't (the front and back of credit cards, screenshots of login information) that I'm constantly shredding. If it weren't for me, she'd be a criminals perfect target.

But I think she's still a bit in the past, like the 90s....which is strange to me since she is nearly 80. But she thinks I get music on my phone by taping it off the radio (she can't tell me where I insert the tape on my phone though :D ) and thinks we could just buy spare batteries for our iPhones. :|

• meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    Let's see. I once found $10 on the floor of a store I was working at. There were no customers around and the job really was terrible with a bunch of dishonest employees and store manager. The customers weren't much better either, stealing underwear by taking off their own dirty underwear in the middle of the store and replacing them with the new clean underwear in the package. So I didn't care when I pocketed the money. Everyone would have tried claiming it was theirs anyhow.

That is so disturbing. It amazes me what people will do.
  • simp7fan
    4165 posts Member
    I've seen people especially kids with their phones in their hands held out listening to music that's asking for them to be robbed. These people have no regards for their stuff. Me am for ever discreetly tapping my pockets to make sure I've still got my phone and wallet.
    I do the same thing. Plus, less likely to drop and scratch it if it's in your pocket
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
    Going back about 17 years ago I would be 16 I was in a pub with my dad and it was a place where anyone would leave their money phones etc on tables and be able to go the toilet or a smoke and no one would take thier stuff. You couldn't do that today. Back then I thought nothing off it but now am shocked. So now am very weary of my stuff.

I've told her plenty of times, she doesn't listen to me. Her and my brother still think I'm like 5 years old or something and don't know anything. Unless someone else tells them, they won't listen to me. I've gotten on her a lot of times about yelling out her login information for any of her stuff in public places, because she wants me to fix that she is having trouble with finding something on whatever she is telling me to login to. I haven't gotten it through her head yet that talking very loudly while giving out your login ID and password aren't a good idea. Not only that, she even loudly proclaims all the passwords she uses. She makes copies, upon copies of things she shouldn't (the front and back of credit cards, screenshots of login information) that I'm constantly shredding. If it weren't for me, she'd be a criminals perfect target.

But I think she's still a bit in the past, like the 90s....which is strange to me since she is nearly 80. But she thinks I get music on my phone by taping it off the radio (she can't tell me where I insert the tape on my phone though :D ) and thinks we could just buy spare batteries for our iPhones. :|

Right my Nan is 80 and she thinks she knows everything but when it comes to phones and tablets she hadn't a clue. She presses anything. Think I'll get her to play tapped out. :lol: She's buggered a few phones. She used to go across the road with her purse in her hands and I tell her to put it in her pocket as there were kids hanging around the shops and could take it of her. Her reply was I'll fight them. She scares me at times.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• simp7fan wrote: »
    I've seen people especially kids with their phones in their hands held out listening to music that's asking for them to be robbed. These people have no regards for their stuff. Me am for ever discreetly tapping my pockets to make sure I've still got my phone and wallet.
    I do the same thing. Plus, less likely to drop and scratch it if it's in your pocket
    If you have long lead headphones then you can still have in in your pocket. In a flip case maybe. I've not scratched any phones since I brought them. Life saver.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

Right my Nan is 80 and she thinks she knows everything but when it comes to phones and tablets she hadn't a clue. She presses anything. Think I'll get her to play tapped out. :lol: She's buggered a few phones. She used to go across the road with her purse in her hands and I tell her to put it in her pocket as there were kids hanging around the shops and could take it of her. Her reply was I'll fight them. She scares me at times.

My mom never says she'll fight anyone, especially since you could flick her with a finger and it'd knock her down. She can't get back up without help, so she is a very easy target. Her response though is always that she has us with her and we can fight the person off. Considering most would be armed assailants, and anyone with her is usually waiting in the car...not a chance.

Very ticked off though at the moment. Apparently at some point one of our neighbours at our apartment complex came over and asked my mom if she could check some things on our router. She then copied all the information off our router. I didn't find out about this until she nonchalantly told the AT&T guy who came over to check our internet. I don't like that they fooled her into letting her have access to our network since I know what can be done with a little knowledge and bad intentions. The tech from AT&T blocked their phones from ever accessing, but if the get another device they will be able to access again. They might already have another device that wasn't powered up at the time.

My mom never says she'll fight anyone, especially since you could flick her with a finger and it'd knock her down. She can't get back up without help, so she is a very easy target. Her response though is always that she has us with her and we can fight the person off. Considering most would be armed assailants, and anyone with her is usually waiting in the car...not a chance.

Very ticked off though at the moment. Apparently at some point one of our neighbours at our apartment complex came over and asked my mom if she could check some things on our router. She then copied all the information off our router. I didn't find out about this until she nonchalantly told the AT&T guy who came over to check our internet. I don't like that they fooled her into letting her have access to our network since I know what can be done with a little knowledge and bad intentions. The tech from AT&T blocked their phones from ever accessing, but if the get another device they will be able to access again. They might already have another device that wasn't powered up at the time.

The buggers. I would have sent a bill to them. Stuff like that angers me.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• IckabodSchrek
    5919 posts Member
    edited March 2017

That's is so low. I can't believe the things people come up with to scam older people. Makes me fear the future. I've heard of swat teams arresting innocent people for child **** because their WIFI wasn't secure. Who knows what your neighbors are up to if they're that shady to do that to your mom.
    Can I say pictures? Good grief
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member

That's is so low. I can't believe the things people come up with to scam older people. Makes me fear the future. I've heard of swat teams arresting innocent people for child **** because their WIFI wasn't secure. Who knows what your neighbors are up to if they're that shady to do that to your mom.
    Can I say pictures? Good grief

This almost happened to somebody I knew. He worked for the military. He had just moved to a new base. The FBI came to his boss and told them of their suspicions. They had him under surveillance for awhile and figured out it wasn't him. He had unsecured wifi where he used to live and somebody else had been using it. If he hadn't moved, who knows what would have happened.
  • IckabodSchrek
    5919 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    @meinaz Isn't that scary? And so many people don't even secure their networks or don't reset the factory ones which are easy to hack. And I'm really sad to hear how easy it was to fool an older person. Really makes me angry, can't imagine how @SakuraNeko08 dealt with it.
    All I can say is Karma, I hope those people get early dementia. >:)
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • Well they won't have access anymore. I changed the AT&T router settings to use my own passcode instead of what AT&T configured that router with and to use my own device password instead of the one AT&T set for this one. The only issue now is that if AT&T is ever called to work on it, they won't be able to look at the side of the router to get the information that it was configured with. It's not really default settings since each AT&T router comes pre-configured with it's own information, but now no one can take advantage of my mom by coming in and copying the information down. And I sure won't be talking....although I wouldn't be able to even if I tried. :D

• johncolombo
    11424 posts Senior Moderator
    If I found money on public street I'd stand there for a bit if it was a large sum and see if anyone was looking for it. Then keep if not. I was at lamp repair shop a few years ago and spotted a hundred on the floor. I handed it over to the owner then regretted it as she didn't even give me a penny off my repair bill. So guessing it wasn't her money to start? Who Knows. A 10 percent discount was at least in order in that situation and part of what she fixed for me has since gone bad again. Oh well I did feel better as it wasn't mine. But I do consider myself very honest.
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ