EA Forums - Banner

Will heart surplus buy donuts like Santa coins?

2Next

Replies

• brenner_yes
    1156 posts
    edited February 2013
    dcline414 wrote:
    Dannesand wrote:
    I really hope so. But I doubt it too. The scary thing is that if you save the hearts and nothing happens, you will lose everything where you instead could have bought a lot of limited stuff,
    Just buy the stuff on the 28th before the event ends if nothing better is announced. Then you can keep what you want and sell the rest for cash.

If people buy on the 28th there are going to be plenty of threads complaining that they didn't get to use there hearts, bcuz that is the day its going to end so anytime on the 28th the update can be taken away, to be safe do it on the 27th of February
  • dcline414
    863 posts
    edited February 2013
    dcline414 wrote:
    Dannesand wrote:
    I really hope so. But I doubt it too. The scary thing is that if you save the hearts and nothing happens, you will lose everything where you instead could have bought a lot of limited stuff,
    Just buy the stuff on the 28th before the event ends if nothing better is announced. Then you can keep what you want and sell the rest for cash.

If people buy on the 28th there are going to be plenty of threads complaining that they didn't get to use there hearts, bcuz that is the day its going to end so anytime on the 28th the update can be taken away, to be safe do it on the 27th of February
    Good call. I believe the last update was pulled around 5pm GMT (noon EST), but it probably isn't a good idea to wait until the last minute.
  • ThorButtockth
    190 posts
    edited February 2013
    My hope is that there will be some sort of Hearts-for-Donuts trade, even if the ratio is small. I doubt it though... Christmas is such a big holiday (and one that celebrates giving gifts and being nice) that it seems like an event for that was worthwhile for EA and whoever. EA probably wouldn't think Valentine's Day should warrant free Donuts. Feel free to prove me wrong, EA, hehe. :-)
  • mattmcguire3
    50 posts
    edited February 2013
    i would LOVE to see them do this again, but these little babies are too easy to acquire (i'm already on 2000+ and if it worked the same as christmas [getting 1-3 doughnuts for each 50 coins] at this rate i would be getting about 200-600 donuts)
  • jrush2point0
    91 posts
    edited February 2013
    i would LOVE to see them do this again, but these little babies are too easy to acquire (i'm already on 2000+ and if it worked the same as christmas [getting 1-3 doughnuts for each 50 coins] at this rate i would be getting about 200-600 donuts)

Yeah, unless there are more items that we can buy with hearts that become active on VD, a trade for a chance at a reindeer like item, 1, 2 or 3 donuts per 50 heart ratio would let me get everything I really want for free.

A 50 heart exchange for a plain old mystery box, though... A hedge or fence up to Homer Buddha (any premium) would be a gamble I would happily take.
  • Homers1Donut
    13 posts
    edited February 2013
    This ENTIRE game is based on the concept of intermitten reinforcement, which is the strongest type of behavior modification technique, and is exactly why many people describe themselves as being "addicted" to this game. The simple language explanation is that if performing a behavior only SOMETIMES delivers a reward to you then you'll be driven to do that behavior much more often. Because if doing the behavior never rewarded you then you would never do that behavior, and if that behavior always consistently rewarded you then you'd do it only when you felt like receiving that reward because you know that you can consistently get it whenever you want it. But if doing the behavior only *SOMETIMES* delivers a reward to you then you'll be driven to do that behavior all the time because it makes the reward seem scarce so your lizard brain wants to collect that reward on every occasion when you think it might be AVAILABLE rather than doing the behavior only on the occasions when you feel like you want that reward.

http://cyborganthropology.com/Intermittent_Reinforcement

This is a long way of saying that the designers have *purposely* designed the game so that users can't know if the special limited-time currency will result in a donut reward or simply disappear and give us nothing. If I had to make a bet I'd guess that this time we won't get donuts for our holiday currency, that way it's more of an interment reward, which is exactly what they're trying to achieve. But of course that's just a pure guess.
  • josh4908
    801 posts
    edited February 2013
    We are all just test subjects in EA's crazy science experiment
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    I doubt it.
  • Double_Density
    60 posts
    edited February 2013
    This is the first time we've been able to buy unlimited amounts of holiday items with our holiday currency. There's no reason for them to have a doughnut conversion.

A little gift at the end for completion would be nice though.
  • PlacentaSandwich
    1148 posts
    edited February 2013
    My opinion is they will do like in Halloween...
    i.e 350 candys = 35 donuts.

Perhaps, I'm wrong.

That happened? I should have gotten 500+ donuts then.
    Yup, at least it happened with me.
  • jasonicus321
    1811 posts New member
    edited February 2013
    No, there was no bonus for the Halloween treats. You must be mistaken. They went away with a whimper and it was even joked about by Homer that he just ate them all. I think the complaints about that spurned the stocking idea. But, I do not expect anything to come from the hearts. That said, I am gonna collect them anyway just in case.
  • PlacentaSandwich
    1148 posts
    edited February 2013
    No, there was no bonus for the Halloween treats. You must be mistaken. They went away with a whimper and it was even joked about by Homer that he just ate them all. I think the complaints about that spurned the stocking idea. But, I do not expect anything to come from the hearts. That said, I am gonna collect them anyway just in case.
    In the last Halloween day I had about 354 candys or something, and 0 donuts.
    After the update I got 0 candys and 35 donuts.
    How weird is that?!
  • jrush2point0
    91 posts
    edited February 2013
    This ENTIRE game is based on the concept of intermitten reinforcement, which is the strongest type of behavior modification technique, and is exactly why many people describe themselves as being "addicted" to this game. The simple language explanation is that if performing a behavior only SOMETIMES delivers a reward to you then you'll be driven to do that behavior much more often.

Excellent point! I worked with rats one summer in order to study addictive behavior using a breakpoint system, which is based on intermittent reinforcement.

My only problem with this line of thinking is that new players won't be hooked if EA doesn't give rewards/freebies on a regular schedule. To make new addicts and keep the old ones, EA should do something like this; Give us a big spike in rewards (possibly even donuts) with otherwise worthless tokens (candy, coins, hearts) every two or three months, and then a steady trickle of updates with new buildings, stories, characters, etc.

Somewhere at EA, a server is humming...

"And there is science to be done
    on the people that are still alive"
  • gchelf01
    239 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    I dont know what to do I get so many hearts constantly so I keep buying one of each thing one at a time right to left over and over, except the trains I only wanted two so I could put one outside my krusty studio but I have no idea what I'm gonna do with the rest of the stuff.
  • jbillotte
    267 posts
    edited February 2013
    I really hope they do, but if I don't see an update like this near februrary 28th, I'll just buy and sell a bunch of valentines items for money with all my hearts originally saved up for the hearts for donuts thing.
  • battyguy
    1123 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    This ENTIRE game is based on the concept of intermitten reinforcement, which is the strongest type of behavior modification technique, and is exactly why many people describe themselves as being "addicted" to this game. The simple language explanation is that if performing a behavior only SOMETIMES delivers a reward to you then you'll be driven to do that behavior much more often.

Excellent point! I worked with rats one summer in order to study addictive behavior using a breakpoint system, which is based on intermittent reinforcement.

My only problem with this line of thinking is that new players won't be hooked if EA doesn't give rewards/freebies on a regular schedule. To make new addicts and keep the old ones, EA should do something like this; Give us a big spike in rewards (possibly even donuts) with otherwise worthless tokens (candy, coins, hearts) every two or three months, and then a steady trickle of updates with new buildings, stories, characters, etc.

Somewhere at EA, a server is humming...

"And there is science to be done
    on the people that are still alive"

This explains my cats behavior.

Is there anyone out there?
  • dcline414
    863 posts
    edited February 2013
    In the last Halloween day I had about 354 candys or something, and 0 donuts.
    After the update I got 0 candys and 35 donuts.
    How weird is that?!
    Glitch? We all got 12... maybe you got some in a mystery box at the same time. Or glitch.
  • BDIHP
    189 posts
    edited February 2013
    My only problem with this line of thinking is that new players won't be hooked if EA doesn't give rewards/freebies on a regular schedule.

Not necessarily true. How many of you are family with Woot, and their Bag of Crap? When they first started, they actually gave out a TV or two in original bags of crap. That caused a lot of buzz and their servers crash to this day, a decade later, when they offer that prize. And, pretty much since the beginning, what has been in the bag of crap has, indeed, been crap. Once in a while they give out something nice, but never as good as the original TVs.

When word gets out, people will hope. Right now, they are getting free hearts, interesting decorations and the hope of donuts. I don't think they are getting donuts on this less than major holiday, so the next time, they'll hope for the same thing. And, maybe EA will come up with a premium item to buy with the leftovers once in a while, and once a year, maybe donuts. But I don't think it has to be too often because word gets out.

I hope that they learned from the candy mistake, to let people know with a message "Spend your hearts by the 28th or lose them!" I have lots of hearts because the decor isn't fitting in everywhere. But I want to buy up a bunch of trains and sell them at the end, and maybe have some of the trees and plants saved for future decor. They'll come in handy as I expect, especially the rose bushes, er, I mean heart bushes. :)

• jblaze013
    95 posts
    edited February 2013
    If you sell the train it gives you a thousand bucks that's how there gonna do do it save all your hearts till the end then buy as many trains as you can and sell them I had over 9000 Santa coins don't remember how many donuts I got but it was a lot I hope they do the same with the hearts but my guess is what I said buy the trains at the end of the month
  • jbillotte
    267 posts
    edited February 2013
    jblaze013 wrote:
    If you sell the train it gives you a thousand bucks that's how there gonna do do it save all your hearts till the end then buy as many trains as you can and sell them I had over 9000 Santa coins don't remember how many donuts I got but it was a lot I hope they do the same with the hearts but my guess is what I said buy the trains at the end of the month

Thats what im saying , save your hearts, if no heart for donuts thing just buy and sell all valentine items for money
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.