EA Forums - Banner

Final Thoughts on Destination Springfield

Prev1
First and foremost, I loved the event. The first thing I went for was a boatload of land and finally the long awaited new water. Cesar and Ugolin being voiced (My fave is "What are you doing? Get out of here!") continued the awesomeness.
Each act was filled with so many decorations that appeal to me (vehicles and trees). I enjoyed what each act had to offer, and the daily prizes are always a welcomed bonus. I felt that the event delivered many memorable characters from several iconic episodes and that the writing was top notch. Another voiced fave addition is Mr. Sparkle (can I get a yuck feah?) and Norbert Van Houten. Also, Kumiko's new skin is a welcomed new set of visible tasks.

The buildings and prizes were fantastic, as well as the craftable items.

The down side: As the event ended, the tourist snafu and the inability to create more runway sections sullied what could have been the best event ever.

What are your final thoughts on one of the greatest events in TSTO history?

Replies

• This event and the pagan event were the best events ever!
    We'll chew this planet up and spit it out!
  • I agree with most of your summation and am still waiting for those tourists and more runway! For me the best event still is Stonecutters even with all the loss of sleep from it. :)
  • suemoorhead
    117 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I've also really enjoyed this event. As you say, great characters, buildings and decorations. I loved the 3 acts visiting France, Japan and Brazil and thought the storylines were great fun. Even the Osaka flu was entertaining. I do however feel my airport isn't quite finished and am hoping more runway pieces will be added some time soon. Oh and the land , I'm still saving.......it could take some time!!
  • Almost none of this has been tucked away in inventory. Well, except for a few multiples of the craft items that I'm saving for future design possibilities. I think that says a lot. My only gripe is lack of tourists post-event and the lingering limitations on flights.
  • The only regret is the lack of runway pieces (crafting) after the event ended. Here's hoping they come back in some form.
    Neighbour requirements: 100% Freemium. Daily Tapper. Send PM first.

• wadebear
    3325 posts Member
    A lot of good ideas, but poorly executed. If I hadn't been sending characters on flights every hour on the hour I'd have never finished the 3rd act in time. And the number of Pins required for a round of Bonus Donuts? Outrageous.
    Osaku Flu? What was that about? Totally wasted idea. They could have built a whole event around it but instead it was nothing but a confusing sidebar.
    Who needs 3 terminals and 3 Hangars and 3 airplanes and... I'd have rather had more free land tokens and runway pieces.
    A passable event, but it could have been so much better.
  • This event and the pagan event were the best events ever!

You're just trying to start trouble. Or, you've only played two events. Anyway.....

I loved the last event, and agree with most of what you said ( OP ). I'm not into the airport, so the tiles aren't a loss for me. I'd love to see more to this series, Italy, Australia, Canada ( I'd love a Mountie on a horse ), and maybe some States, Hawaii, etc.
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • 00becker
    446 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I loved the puzzle element with the daily flights. It added an element of strategy, of critical thinking, and gave me the opportunity to learn something new. I had much more fun with this than with any event so far.

The storyline was great, it used a great selection of characters (and let us swap out options to use characters for other things - SH, monorail, level progress, etc.), the airport pieces allow for great individualization, the prizes were fun and iconic, land tiles were new and welcome, the sheer amount of new land is amazing, the craftables both distinctively belong with each act and easily fit into Springfield in quantity, the random element could be eliminated with continued game play, event and crafting currency were well balanced, the pacing of the event allowed for reasonable game commitment, and it was possible to catch up tasks with a little extra dedication if a person fell a bit behind.

The Osaka Flu element was a great twist on neighbour visits, prompting visiting in the hopes of reciprocation as rewards were tied to visits to our own towns. But its execution was underwhelming. Its trigger was perhaps too subtle, the jump in infection with act two was obviously in error, surpassing 100% infection was simply ridiculous, the jump from 100 viruses between levels 1, 2, 3, and 4 to 700 between levels 4 and 5 was startling (a gradual increase or a static number would both have kept player expectations in line with execution), the elimination of rewards from infected tourists was disappointing, and the entire element was left hanging with no quest wrap-up or reward. It was, in the end, frustrating if not completed or completely forgettable if level 5 was reached.

And the glitches and bugs, while not widespread, were impactful. Missing flights, missing prizes, changing lost luggage prizes, and now missing premium purchases. And it's not like players could be oblivious to what was lacking - problems with the flights impacted story progress, Norbert's prizes had in-game prompts to unlock them so their lack was obvious, and now the tourists have notifications signalling their availability despite having been prematurely removed from the store. And the very few who purchased them in the very short time they were available have a quest and characters with no dialog or task labels. And a week later they're still missing from the store and still buggy (you're fast losing your window of opportunity with this one, EA). When bugs prevent players from accessing something it's bad enough. Players being teased with what is not available because of poor coding or testing or quality control or whatever the problem turns out to be is very bad form.

Overall, I'd give this event 3.5/5. Full marks for story, for content, for pacing, and for creativity. Loss of marks for uncorrected bugs and the flop that was the Osaka Flu.
  • Grr. My reply has vanished. Note to self - don't try to correct typos or your post will vanish into the ether :(
  • Fhfjgjghjikggji
    2942 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    bluntcard wrote: »
    This event and the pagan event were the best events ever!

You're just trying to start trouble

I actually genuinely enjoyed the pagan event mate. The only thing that bothered me about that event was everyone that was whining being negative toward it.

Anyways back on topic the cons for the travel event were:

High milestones for the bonuts rounds

No tourist to purchase

No way to make more runway bits after the event
    Post edited by Fhfjgjghjikggji on
  • Spot on summary Barry! Overall I really loved this event too. Great characters, buildings and decorations, both free and premium. The Osaka flu thing was kinda weird but not a big deal really.

Post-event, the tie-in update is frustrating because of two very big loose-ends that should be fixed. I really expected they'd make a way to earn more runways at the airport. The mechanic of sending characters on flights seemed a natural fit, besides they did just release so much land. The half baked takedown and the glitchy tourists for a select few android players is totally bizarre. How'd that get so borked? And why is the fix taking this long? It's like they tried to scrap em at the last minute in favor of the tie-in, and missed just enough of the code so some players could unlock them. Now they have to recode them as part of a complete patch. Whatever the story, it's sloppy code to be sure.
  • bluntcard
    3609 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    @samspargo332

So that is a personal dig at me. I just wanted to make sure. Noted. ;)

gTfyyVLTicxCE.gif

Post edited by bluntcard on
  • @bluntcard where did you get the idea I was having a personal dig at you?
  • bluntcard
    3609 posts Member
    I'm the person who started the I [email protected] THIS EVENT thread, five minutes after it was launched, that wouldn't die. It was an OK event as events go, so I know when someone says the winter event was their favorite, or IT'S MY FAVORITE EVENT EVER! It's a dig at me. And that's honestly fine. I'm opinionated. There's a price for that. I got my haters. ;)
  • Fhfjgjghjikggji
    2942 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    bluntcard wrote: »
    I'm the person who started the I [email protected] THIS EVENT thread, five minutes after it was launched, that wouldn't die. It was an OK event as events go, so I know when someone says the winter event was their favorite, or IT'S MY FAVORITE EVENT EVER! It's a dig at me. And that's honestly fine. I'm opinionated. There's a price for that. I got my haters. ;)

Bluntcard I was annoyed at EVERYONE whining about that event not just you.I apologize if you took it personally
  • bluntcard
    3609 posts Member
    So, the Pagan event is tied as your favorite event.......EVER? Really? OK. Well, I'm genuinely glad someone enjoyed it that much.
  • Love the gif @bluntcard

Anyways, I enjoyed the event. The mechanics of it, while still basicly the same 3 act, multiple confusing currencies was typical, they changed up just enough to make it interesting. I koved the trivia questions with sending a person on a flight to one correct destination. The flu part was kinda strange and seemingly pointless but kept my attention for a while.

All in all, I give it 8/10
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • It was mostly great, I liked the decos/buildings/characters. The Osaka flu thing was pointless. I wish they would have allowed us to make runway pieces via the airport, but oh well, cool airport stuff anyway :smile:
    D'oh!!
  • This event was huge! Probably the most bigly event yet,and believe me when I tell you, I know big events, and I'm the one that made this such a big event, and you will all remember this event and my part in this, have you seen the crowds outside? Believe me, huuuuge event.
  • I absolutely loved it!