EA Forums - Banner

donuts/doughnuts...

Prev1
how do you usually spell it??? i usually spell it the shorter way...donuts...but ive seen it done the other way too...
crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56

Replies

• It's doughnut which is the correct spelling where donut is an abbreviation of it. I did at first use doughnut on here but changed it to donut as an quicker way of spelling it.
  • Hello Rhi! Just popped in, hope you're OK?

I spell it doughnuts - always assumed that's the correct UK spelling and that you Amercans spell it wrong again ;)
  • hi Nick and Steph, ive been okay, i got my vacation, been busy cleaning, crying over old pictures of my grandparents and family and drinking...lots of drinking...

i use to spell it doughnuts....but since ive been on here, ive just been spelling it donuts...its a yummy food though so i figured the misspelling is okay!! ;)
  • It's dough, as in bread dough or pizza dough. Just don't ask me where the "nuts" part comes from...scared of the pics that might come up if I Goggle it.
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • Actually, both spellings are technically correct. “Doughnut” is usually preferred by style guides, but “donut” has slowly but surely evolved as an acceptable substitute.
  • Actually, both spellings are technically correct. “Doughnut” is usually preferred by style guides, but “donut” has slowly but surely evolved as an acceptable substitute.

so than donuts spelling would be more along the lines of slang?

so than donuts spelling would be more along the lines of slang?

Sorta, although I don’t think that “slang” is a term that linguists apply to variant spellings.

• @RMVancleav710 yea it's slang
  • bluntcard
    3700 posts Member
    giphy.gif
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • bluntcard wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    laughing%2Bthen%2Bpunch.gif

• "Do-Not" eat more than twelve but totally stop me at twenty.
  • simp7fan
    4165 posts Member
    It's spelled "dough-boys".

So, first of all, both spellings are American spellings. Yes, we rock donuts that hard that we came up with two ways to spell it. That way we can deny eating "donuts" while munching on some "doughnuts".

Secondly, the older name is "dough-boy", as I already said, circa 1680s. "Doughnuts" came first in the 1800s. BTW the "nut" refers to its original circular shape (think donut holes) which can be imagined similar to a nut in a shell. "Donut" spelling came around the same time that donuts actually gained their iconic holes, circa mid-1800s.

Therefore I'd conclude that since the donut spelling came the same time period as real donuts were being produced that donut is the correct spelling. Yes, this is the same spelling that I use.

All information courtesy of etymonline.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • simp7fan wrote: »
    It's spelled "dough-boys".

So, first of all, both spellings are American spellings. Yes, we rock donuts that hard that we came up with two ways to spell it. That way we can deny eating "donuts" while munching on some "doughnuts".

Secondly, the older name is "dough-boy", as I already said, circa 1680s. "Doughnuts" came first in the 1800s. BTW the "nut" refers to its original circular shape (think donut holes) which can be imagined similar to a nut in a shell. "Donut" spelling came around the same time that donuts actually gained their iconic holes, circa mid-1800s.

Therefore I'd conclude that since the donut spelling came the same time period as real donuts were being produced that donut is the correct spelling. Yes, this is the same spelling that I use.

All information courtesy of etymonline.

You can make the argument that one spelling is currently preferred over another, but the notion that one spelling variant is somehow more “correct” than another based on etymological factors is kinda wonky. The spelling of words change over time. It’s just the way written languages work.

• I think it should be doh-nut. Let's change it.
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • simp7fan
    4165 posts Member
    You can make the argument that one spelling is currently preferred over another, but the notion that one spelling variant is somehow more “correct” than another based on etymological factors is kinda wonky. The spelling of words change over time. It’s just the way written languages work.
    I had a partially facetious conclusion, but I can argue that one spelling is more correct. The -gh- "sound" is a dinosaur. It's departed from drive-thru, site, and lite, and probably loads of other words. Yes, the other spellings still exist but that's partially reinforcement from prescriptivists. Were the language allowed to evolve as it once did we'd have much more drastic changes by now. I appreciate the meanings changing at this slow pace but our spelling could do with an organic revolution.
  • simp7fan
    4165 posts Member
    I think it should be doh-nut. Let's change it.

Not "d'oh-nut" or "d'oh!nut"?
  • Man... Now I want some doughnuts. Wish I could buy them with donuts....
    I had a partially facetious conclusion, but I can argue that one spelling is more correct. The -gh- "sound" is a dinosaur. It's departed from drive-thru, site, and lite, and probably loads of other words. Yes, the other spellings still exist but that's partially reinforcement from prescriptivists. Were the language allowed to evolve as it once did we'd have much more drastic changes by now. I appreciate the meanings changing at this slow pace but our spelling could do with an organic revolution.

Well, you can make the argument, but I’m not sure you’re going to convince many lexicographers.

On the one hand you seem to be dismissing prescriptivists on general principle, but on the other you’re supporting your position with your own prescriptivist vision. I’ve always been pretty much of a descriptivist in these matters. You can tell the people what words to use, how to use them, and how to spell them, but in the end they tend to do as they please. I suspect that based on current usage trends, “donut” will eventually supplant “doughnut”, but we ain’t there yet.
  • simp7fan
    4165 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Prescriptivists are as important as descriptivists. Not more important. But the way schools work is that kids grow up learning the one and only way to spell something, which dissuades evolution. (Though the atrocious spelling I see in YouTube comments, even from those claiming to be teachers, is pretty dammmn bad...so maybe we need more learning, lol.)

Where has donut not won? England? I'm pretty sure it's the preferred or only known spelling to Americans.
    Where has donut not won? England? I'm pretty sure it's the preferred or only known spelling to Americans.

As I mentioned in a previous post, style guides still recommend “doughnut” over “donut”. More generally, when examining digitized published works (Google Books Ngram), “doughnut" consistently appears more often than “donut” across time (i.e., over the last 100+ years). The opposite is true on the internet (which reflects less formal usage?): “donut” beats out “doughnut” over the last 10+ years.