EA Forums - Banner

EA jack up prices

Prev134567
Agree..

Replies

• chelsea0790
    407 posts
    edited February 2013
    Volcano lair with Hank Scorpio is 200 donuts, but now if you missed the christmas update Barney and his bowlarama costs 250 donuts.. the volcano is much larger than a bowling alley building, and much more impressive in my opinion. Weird why Barney would cost so much
  • zuzupj
    1452 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    I have had a taste of the premium life and I like it too much to stop. I am a sucker for sure, but I want all the things.
  • mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, donut pricing does seem pretty damn arbitrary
  • dromtsul
    1169 posts
    edited February 2013
    I'm glad I started when I did. It'd be overwhelming to get into the game now. I don't mind Dr. Nick costing 90, but they got greedy with Mr. Plow and Shauna. Hopefully the next round of decorative cars isn't 60, otherwise I'll have to stop where I am out of principle.
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    Volcano lair with Hank Scorpio is 200 donuts, but now if you missed the christmas update Barney and his bowlarama costs 250 donuts.. the volcano is much larger than a bowling alley building, and much more impressive in my opinion. Weird why Barney would cost so much

It is because EA have effectively created a captive market. Players are most likely to make initial purchases of cheaper and more reasonably (but still expensive in my own opinion) priced items. When you have accumulated a few of these you have created a financial stake in the game that will continue to keep you playing and make it more likely you will buy further premium items. Once a certain type of player (and a fairly common type) has accumulated enough of these premium items, they will feel compelled to own them all. With EA being the sole supplier of these goods I.e. it's a monopoly, they will use this compulsion to extract a higher price.
  • thejudd67
    395 posts
    edited February 2013
    Not only do they bend over the new people on Barney, they also have him and the Bowl-a-Rama paying out like standard items instead of with the typical 50% bonus like the "normal" premiums. If anything Barney should be cheaper if they're not going to adjust his payout.
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    zuzupj wrote:
    I have had a taste of the premium life and I like it too much to stop. I am a sucker for sure, but I want all the things.

Thank you zuzupj for providing the perfect example of my previous comment. Go to the top of the class :D
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:

It is because EA have effectively created a captive market. Players are most likely to make initial purchases of cheaper and more reasonably (but still expensive in my own opinion) priced items. When you have accumulated a few of these you have created a financial stake in the game that will continue to keep you playing and make it more likely you will buy further premium items. Once a certain type of player (and a fairly common type) has accumulated enough of these premium items, they will feel compelled to own them all. With EA being the sole supplier of these goods I.e. it's a monopoly, they will use your compulsion to extract a higher price.

Sorry, for quoting myself (I do believe I have been accused of having illusions of grandeur before) but I also think that this is exactly the reason why we got the free donuts in the first place. Lets make non-premium players into premium players by giving them just a little taste. Droooooolllll......premium items.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    thejudd67 wrote:
    Not only do they bend over the new people on Barney, they also have him and the Bowl-a-Rama paying out like standard items instead of with the typical 50% bonus like the "normal" premiums. If anything Barney should be cheaper if they're not going to adjust his payout.

I was not aware of this. I don't understand why EA wouldn't do it unless it caused technical problems to have some Bowlaramas pay out whilst others do not.
  • A_Bad_Exampl3
    916 posts
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:

It is because EA have effectively created a captive market. Players are most likely to make initial purchases of cheaper and more reasonably (but still expensive in my own opinion) priced items. When you have accumulated a few of these you have created a financial stake in the game that will continue to keep you playing and make it more likely you will buy further premium items. Once a certain type of player (and a fairly common type) has accumulated enough of these premium items, they will feel compelled to own them all. With EA being the sole supplier of these goods I.e. it's a monopoly, they will use your compulsion to extract a higher price.

Exploiting an addiction. Surely no corporate entity would do this.

It's one reason I am playing a second town. Reminder of what the game is like without putting anything into it. If EA does not provide it, it won't be in that town.
  • zuzupj
    1452 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:
    zuzupj wrote:

Thank you zuzupj for providing the perfect example of my previous comment. Go to the top of the class :D

LOL! I just read your comment thinking how I fell for this trap!
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:

It's one reason I am playing a second town. Reminder of what the game is like without putting anything into it. If EA does not provide it, it won't be in that town.

Sure they do it but I can't think of many cases where they do it this obviously and shamelessly.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    Oh it's been commented on, I've commented in various threads but if you didn't go into those? Then you didn't see it.

Some gems from the past:

"Why would I buy Shauna? Premium characters used to cost 60 donuts and now they cost 90 donuts and she's an irrelevant character....not worth it."

"The volcano lair used to be the most expensive at 200 donuts, now the buildings have shot up to 250 donuts."

Yep.

I've definitely commented and noticed.

It's why I've not bought a thing this update, too overpriced.
  • zuzupj
    1452 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    It really started for me during the Halloween event and wanting to buy Witch Marge. After I did that I only wanted to buy more and more. Then they had a donut sale and that's what sealed my fate as a sucker.
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    Oh it's been commented on, I've commented in various threads but if you didn't go into those? Then you didn't see it.

Some gems from the past:

"Why would I buy Shauna? Premium characters used to cost 60 donuts and now they cost 90 donuts and she's an irrelevant character....not worth it."

"The volcano lair used to be the most expensive at 200 donuts, now the buildings have shot up to 250 donuts."

Yep.

Sorry Lissa, I possibly did see those comments but what I meant is that I expected a stronger backlash from the forum in general. Instead, what I've seen more of is "I didn't really want Shauna but hey, you've got to get them all right?"
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

Some gems from the past:

Yep.

Sorry Lissa, I possibly did see those comments but what I meant is that I expected a stronger backlash from the forum in general. Instead, what I've seen more of is "I didn't really want Shauna but hey, you've got to get them all right?"

Yeah, I actually am surprised too that you are the first to start a separate thread talking about the price hikes.

You know why I don't have her? I saw somebody post this "Shauna costs $10." TEN DOLLARS!! Ten dollars for a pixel, non-voiced, non-central to the show character. Made it really easy to pass on her.
  • A_Bad_Exampl3
    916 posts
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:
    peruhomer wrote:

Sure they do it but I can't think of many cases where they do it this obviously and shamelessly.

You mean other than Big Tobacco, Coke, and Pepsi in the US? Caffeine and Nicotein are addictive drugs, and both get shamelessly marketed. OxyContin would get that treatment if Purdue could get away with it.
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    zuzupj wrote:
    It really started for me during the Halloween event and wanting to buy Witch Marge. After I did that I only wanted to buy more and more. Then they had a donut sale and that's what sealed my fate as a sucker.

Got hooked myself having initially decided to avoid premiums when Gill came along and offered a 25% discount on donuts. I decided the price was now closer to what I was willing to pay and so I made a couple of purchases. But there has to be a line and for me at least, EA have now crossed it.
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:
    peruhomer wrote:

You mean other than Big Tobacco, Coke, and Pepsi in the US? Caffeine and Nicotein are addictive drugs, and both get shamelessly marketed. OxyContin would get that treatment if Purdue could get away with it.

Comparing EA to a tobacco company or a drug manufacturer is a bit extreme. There are different levels of addiction and what EA is doing is hardly life threatening. But I accept your point that this is fairly common if unethical business practice.
  • mattmcguire3
    50 posts
    edited February 2013
    I got Barney with the Christmas update so I never knew that he was so god damn expensive, he doesn't even have premium tasks. Mind you it wouldn't be Springfield without him and I'm guessing thats what EA are counting on.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!