EA Forums - Banner

what kind of prize systems should events have?

Problem with the poll is you can't select multiples...

You also left out purchase (spend event currency to buy prizes you want).

Ideally, I'd say personal prize track, along with community prizes, and maybe one other, to be taken from craftable, puzzle, purchase, or something else.

Honestly, I'm happy as long as it's not a game of chance.

Replies

• NOVA_POLARI
    1010 posts
    edited November 2014
    I want personal and community. Also I dont mind if there is a game of chance like a wheel as long as that's not the only way to get prizes.
  • Celticpeasant
    45 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    roshigoth1 wrote:
    Problem with the poll is you can't select multiples...

You also left out purchase (spend event currency to buy prizes you want).

Ideally, I'd say personal prize track, along with community prizes, and maybe one other, to be taken from craftable, puzzle, purchase, or something else.

Honestly, I'm happy as long as it's not a game of chance.

Agreed! :D
  • doh1886
    916 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    Would be silly to stick to one universal system as what appeals to you won't appeal to others, it also stops each event being a rehash each time. Personal prizes should remain a minimum for each event, I think a mix is important to keep each event unique.
  • jraffa50
    559 posts
    edited November 2014
    It's hard to answer this because the answers are connected. I'd like a personal prize that I can craft based on acquiring items I got by solving puzzles.
  • jamcec720
    77 posts
    edited November 2014
    puzzle puzzle puzzle, but more difficult puzzles the ones in stone-cutters were easy.

Made me think, which I enjoyed, in fact they were the only thing I actually completed while I didn't complete the main quest where you got the boulder thingy, but I did complete all the riddles
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    You forgot the original prize system.

Which is what I wo or vote for.
  • fluffling
    516 posts
    edited November 2014
    I voted personal as that's what I prefer but I think they should have community as well like they did for THOH last year.
    I also quite like crafting though they have to have realistic number of items required and the items shouldn't be impossible to get, I also like things being introduced in phases
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    Personal and community prizes were fun. Everything else is kinda overcomplicated and unnecessary. That's not mention it the pay outs for the time spent get all messed up.
    "The **** of the future will be the anti-****."
  • aidx1054
    1554 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    In my opinion the best event is a mix of personal and community with a small bit of chance.

Using this event as an example it would go like this:

Personal prizes: Same as now except there wouldn't be phases.
    Community prizes: Grand pumpkin, Pumpkin house, Hugo, Spooky house, Rigelan Queen and Rigelan hut.
    In that order. (I know some people wouldn't like a duplicate pumpkin house but it's only an example)
    Wheel prizes:Ammo, eggs, currency, HTS, shrub and wall.
    This way you can still spin the wheel but its not a disappointment if you don't get everything.

Instead of getting bags you get pumpkins which are used to spin the wheel.
    And at the end of the event everything can go to krustyland! :D
  • amazonprimechic
    1260 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    I would like all of the above.

Mostly personal and community but with a dash of the others to spice it up!
  • Raven_Darkstorm
    418 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    Anything but lottery luck of the draw. I experienced that with easter and was so mad that after the extremely long time (I think it was 6 weeks) I ended up with a bunch of junk and none of the good stuff. There were 19 prizes you could get and I got just fences, eggs, and ponds the whole time.
  • XBL-Heretic
    1228 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    doh1886 wrote:
    Would be silly to stick to one universal system as what appeals to you won't appeal to others, it also stops each event being a rehash each time. Personal prizes should remain a minimum for each event, I think a mix is important to keep each event unique.

This is the best answer so far. I like all of them except fo the confounded wheel of torture. My favorites, besides the personal, are community prizes and puzzle prizes
  • hokieborn
    171 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    So far, my favorite would be a mix of personal-that you choose, and craftable like this one.

I prefer to have the choice. There is no reason they couldn't have made the prizes in this Halloween event purchasable, and your currency goes down when you spend it. You still have to collect the same amount, but if you prefer the copter to the bulldozersaurus you can go for copter first. Mix in the craftable "chance" with the treat bags (but you still have to make choices), and it would be ideal.

I also enjoy the phases, with currency changing and additional craftables. Even if you finish one phase early, you're still not out of the event.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    The games of chance and prize wheels are a huge pain in the neck and cause nothing but frustration. The crafting is also headache inducing since it means there will be many people who are going to be missing out on something no matter what happens.

This leaves just the puzzles, personal, and community prizes. The puzzles if left simple can be fun. The personal prizes are a nice way to get individual players to continue to play. Community prizes are a fun thought but you have people who can be completely lazy and barely play yet they earn prizes based on the hard work of others.

IF there had to be a way of doing things, then have the community prizes as something fun and unique and hopefully worth a nice multiplier. Make it so that you can only receive a prize if you played x-amount of time during the event or completed x-amount of jobs related to the event allowing the lazy people to not receive the prizes while still rewarding the regular players. Have personal prizes come with multipliers and earn in-game cash, no more decorations that just increase vanity or tree hugger ratings.
  • suetopia
    4231 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    I would like to see the personal prizes (I like to feel I earned the prize in some way) and community prizes combo. I can't remember which event it was (it was definitely not THOH 2013 because I wasn't playing then), but another event had community prizes, and I remember I was so happy when we reached the amount they wanted and got the prizes!

The craftable prizes remind me of the stupid wheel because it's all based on chance - so no wheel, and only craftable if they make it reasonable and less chance oriented. I think prizes should be obtainable, not left to chance, especially because I've seen so many people on here work so hard only to be disappointed in the end.

The prize track system can been pretty good, but again only if they make the prizes obtainable. I'm not suggesting they make things super easy, but many people can't log in every four hours due to work and personal stuff. Right now I can, so it's not an issue for me, but it is for many. In this case their lack of success isn't due to" laziness" but rather due to time constraints they have.

It's a tough choice, and as mentioned above it really depends on the individual - different people like different things. For sure no more wheels, though. No more. Never again...

• richardaca969
    1058 posts
    edited November 2014
    I liked the Community prizes, this new thing of crafting is great, and working towards personal prizes is fun. If Christmas combined these three, we could have an utterly brilliant event.
  • teo47
    944 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    Personal prizes should be a staple of event - earn currency, get prize. It just makes sense. I don't really care about community prizes, but I don't feel negatively towards them.

I enjoy random chance aspects to events when they are implemented like they have been this Halloween - while the contents of an individual bag are random, over the course of hundreds of bags the law of averages will ensure that you get essentially the same stuff as other players get who open a similar number of bags and have a similar number of premium items as you do. I love the UFO idea with a possible random prize of 30 donuts - very generous from EA and I've won close to 80 free donuts during this event alone thanks to treat bags and 1 lucky UFO. The Valentine's wheel was annoying because there was a limited set of prizes and most were items that are not easy to use multiples of - who really needs 8 pink fountains or 7 pink gazebos? The Easter event was even more maddening, where we had to earn blue/pink eggs for a chance to win gold eggs, which potentially resulted in a "prize" of...blue/pink eggs. Very poor implementation of the chance system in that event although squishing rabbits was quite fun!

The thing I like most about the crafting idea is that for players who won't be able to get all of the prizes, they will at least be able to select which ones are the most desirable to them and focus on those. If there is a set sequence in which prizes are awarded, a player is out of luck if his/her most desirable prize is the last one and it isn't possible to get there by the end.

The puzzle prizes from Stonecutters were fun, but super easy. A good idea that could be expanded on in future events.

In my opinion, EA has ZERO obligation to design events such that they are easy to finish without either frequent log-ins or premium purchases. If they do that's great, but I'm more interested in how fun they are as opposed to whether or not I can get all of the prizes. It's easy to get caught up in the "must have everything!!" attitude but in the long run, it doesn't really matter if you don't get Shari Bobbins or Helter Shelter or the Hover Copter, does it?
    New neighbors always welcome!
  • dcacooper
    402 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    Haven't answered the poll because actually I think events should have all of these things (except the wheel). Not all at the same time, but all of these are interesting game mechanics, and I like that they are mixed and matched event to event.

What I definitely don't want is for every event to use the same mechanics as the one before, which seems to be what some people on here want.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.