• efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    efin98 wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    ZennGlenn wrote:
    ...This is All Fox property
    Actually, Comedy Central/Viacom have had the rights to Futurama for the past several years. I'm sure this is where at least some of the problems lie.
    ... they only hold only the syndication rights to the show.
    That's not true. The last three seasons of the show were made by Comedy Central. (They also aired the movies before picking up the show for new episodes.) As far as I know, those episodes never aired on Fox.

Fox as in 20th Century Fox, not the Fox TV network. Comedy Central paid for the rights to air the show after the show's contract with Adult Swim/Turner ended 12/31/2008. They also paid for the exclusive rights to new episodes to first air on their network, but they don't actually own the show- it's still owned by Groening and Fox. At some point their license expires as it did with Adult Swim/Turner and another network could pick up the rights.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    efin98 wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    efin98 wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    ZennGlenn wrote:
    Actually, Comedy Central/Viacom have had the rights to Futurama for the past several years. I'm sure this is where at least some of the problems lie.
    That's not true. The last three seasons of the show were made by Comedy Central. (They also aired the movies before picking up the show for new episodes.) As far as I know, those episodes never aired on Fox.

Fox as in 20th Century Fox, not the Fox TV network. Comedy Central paid for the rights to air the show after the show's contract with Adult Swim/Turner ended 12/31/2008. They also paid for the exclusive rights to new episodes to first air on their network, but they don't actually own the show- it's still owned by Groening and Fox. At some point their license expires as it did with Adult Swim/Turner and another network could pick up the rights.
    Well, it must be causing some kind of issue, or there wouldn't be any discussion of legal rights being an obstacle.
  • Pieman411
    99 posts
    edited November 2014
    I'd love it if Futurama characters came to tapped out, but I'm not so confident we will see them :\

Though I would like to say that in EA's The Simpsons Game(2007) Spoilers Beyond here!

Bender and Zoidberg(both with John Dimaggio and Billy West voice acting) made an appearance as enemies that you had to take out(They were being doodled and thrown at you by the boss of the level, which was Matt Groening). Just YouTube The Simpsons Game Five Characters in Search of an Author, the dialogue between Bender, Zoidberg Homer, Bart and Matt is hilarious.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    efin98 wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    efin98 wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    ZennGlenn wrote:

Well, it must be causing some kind of issue, or there wouldn't be any discussion of legal rights being an obstacle.

That is assuming that's the actual issue and not something else, like Mr. Groening not approving of the storyline or some other issue. But even if that were the issue it wouldn't affect the pre-"season 5" episodes.
  • ZennGlenn
    1723 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    Hmm, interesting points from efin & neuro... not exactly certain on complete legalities, but final points seem that Groening-TCFox & EA will have final say on legal mumbojumbo for whatever we may see,
    & hopefully it will be Simpsoramaculous :P

...or at the very least, more Bender :!:
  • roxypup
    313 posts
    edited November 2014
    If Bender made that cameo already in the game, I would say the legal issues are no longer an obstacle.

Oh right! I totally forgot about that! Well, that's at least promising :)
  • roxypup
    313 posts
    edited November 2014
    teo47 wrote:
    whatever they do I hope it isn't needed to move on or anything. I don't want Futurama Characters in my SF.

Agree. But I wouldn't be against them making it available for premium purchase - just don't require anyone to get it in order to progress through the levels if they'd rather only have Simpsons content.

I can't imagine that if we DO get Futurama characters that they wouldn't be limited time. They would probably have a short quest line but nothing important for game play.
  • roxypup
    313 posts
    edited November 2014
    Hypnotoad.gif

I want hypno toad!
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    Glory to the hypno toad.
  • KillaSqirl
    1763 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    roxypup wrote:
    Hypnotoad.gif

I want hypno toad!

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD! :)
  • skollthewolf
    491 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    RobotDevil.jpg
    In addition to the primary cast, how about the Robot Devil? He'd make for some interesting outdoor tasks, and -- as Dan Castellaneta is one of the primary Simpsons voice actors, he could actually be voiced!
  • elmalynn
    253 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    Yes, I'd love to have Futurama stuff in my Springfield. I'd get it all! Even my son, who rarely plays any more, said he would want the Futurama things, and I should let him know if anything shows up.

I think it would be great to see Zoidberg running around my town! :D

Maybe I could use my transporter to get to their "world"! :wink:
  • LPNintendoITA
    11519 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    roxypup wrote:
    Hypnotoad.gif

I want hypno toad!
    hypnotoad.jpg.
    Guillermo del Toro’s Simpsons Intro (THOH 24)
    My Youtube and Twitch / WikiSimpons Current Event Page and Discord
  • mikepellerin60
    490 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    Pretty sure it won't happen because of Sumner Redstone and Viacom. Sumner owns Viacom. Sumner wanted Fox, but couldn't buy them. Sumner will use any method to hurt his competition. (Denying programming is one!)

Sumner is a vindictive... "B" + itch! I know! I've worked for him! He's threatened the lives of people who go against him.

In the 80's Sumner survived a Hotel fire: (Search Redstone Hotel Fire).

In the 2000's, on a talk show, he was to be re-united with the fireman who saved him back in the 80's. He got up and walked off the stage. He claimed the Fireman was probably going to ask for compensation!

Sorry for my ramble, but I really hate this guy!
    Moe: "Moe's tavern, home of the worlds smallest large screen TV."
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    RobotDevil.jpg
    In addition to the primary cast, how about the Robot Devil? He'd make for some interesting outdoor tasks, and -- as Dan Castellaneta is one of the primary Simpsons voice actors, he could actually be voiced!

This would be a hilarious addition with a funny quest line involving Frink and maybe Reverend Lovejoy and Flanders :shock: :lol:

But the voice? Not likely IMHO. He may be voiced by Castellaneta but since he isn't a Simpsons character they'd have to pay him more money to use his voice since it was on a different show. It'd be fun but it could just as easily be done without.
  • NOVA_POLARI
    1010 posts
    edited November 2014
    Unfortunately its already confirmed that no Futurama characters will be added into the game for the tie in :( But I hope we can at least get some futurama themed decorations.
  • rexbanner888
    102 posts
    edited November 2014
    says who? no bender?
  • PhoenixUP7
    65 posts
    edited November 2014
    BEEEEENNNNNNNDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • spo0ky_lu
    46 posts
    edited November 2014
    Unfortunately its already confirmed that no Futurama characters will be added into the game for the tie in :( But I hope we can at least get some futurama themed decorations.

Where was this confirmed? Can you provide a link or some sort of proof?

Cant find anything.
  • jukan00
    2319 posts Member
    edited November 2014
    spo0ky_lu wrote:

Where was this confirmed? Can you provide a link or some sort of proof?

Cant find anything.

Matt Selman said it to someone on his FB or twitter or something.
    Money/the potential of money, can overcome many obstacles though.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!