EA Forums - Banner

Selling a Springfield?

Replies

• emymarek721
    616 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    juliet603 wrote:
    juliet603 wrote:
    and if you're gonna pay real money anyway, why not start a town yourself and buy donuts and get all the premium items yourself while also playing the game.

THIS!

For $250, you can buy a TON of donuts, more than $60 worth, and get SO MANY premium items. Plus, to PAY for time spent having FUN? That doesn't make sense, at all.

Now, if you want to pay someone for having fun, I went to Disney World and had a BLAST!! I can sell you my expired tickets reaaaaally cheap!! :lol:

LMAO! :lol:

Haven't seen you in a while Emy (probably cos I spend all my time in Off Topic :P ) good to see you again!

Same here, Juliet!!! *waves* :D
  • suetopia
    4229 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    mpwarner wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    Yeah, definitely a violation. Threads started here for that purpose are removed.

Just wanted to say- love your avatar change! Yay rose!

+1

+2!
  • amazonprimechic
    1260 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Not sure why someone would buy a SF. The fun was in the playing through the 1st 30 or so levels and events, earning stuff, and building a town. I wouldn't want to start in a pre-built town even if it has more stuff than I do now.
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I dont know whether any of you have ever worked on a miniature dollhouse (not the toy ones. The hobbyist ones.). People invest hundreds of dollars to buy all the pieces, and design and create them. They aren't a "game", but a fantastic outlet for creating a living space.

I could visualize someone with that same focus (the challenge to put pieces together in a unique design) would certainly enjoy purchasing a Springfield with all the pieces in storage to bring out and design as their own. They're not looking for a social game ... Just a creative artistic game.

I would imagine someone like that would really enjoy being provided all the pieces and making a town out of it. The idea that they could also have animated characters populate their town would be a tremendous pleasure. That may not be the purpose of this game, but I can certainly imagine someone wanting it.

If EA created an alternate, create-a-town version of this game, and bundled an entire package with all the elements, characters and all, I know they would find a niche market. It would require no further development to offer such a package. Not an online, social version. Just a standalone, purely design-oriented version. There would be no " lag" and no "item limit" ... Since youre not on a server.
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • Jblue8298
    7994 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    cdepast wrote:
    i dont think there's any value. whats the fun if all the quests have been completed?

Agreed. I really wouldn't want someone else's town, whether it was full premium or not, and I certainly would not pay for it. It's like sex.... if I apply myself....
    Never mind, it's nothing like sex.
    haha!
  • LazyUmberto
    95 posts
    edited December 2014
    I dont know whether any of you have ever worked on a miniature dollhouse (not the toy ones. The hobbyist ones.). People invest hundreds of dollars to buy all the pieces, and design and create them. They aren't a "game", but a fantastic outlet for creating a living space.

I could visualize someone with that same focus (the challenge to put pieces together in a unique design) would certainly enjoy purchasing a Springfield with all the pieces in storage to bring out and design as their own. They're not looking for a social game ... Just a creative artistic game.

I would imagine someone like that would really enjoy being provided all the pieces and making a town out of it. The idea that they could also have animated characters populate their town would be a tremendous pleasure. That may not be the purpose of this game, but I can certainly imagine someone wanting it.

If EA created an alternate, create-a-town version of this game, and bundled an entire package with all the elements, characters and all, I know they would find a niche market. It would require no further development to offer such a package. Not an online, social version. Just a standalone, purely design-oriented version. There would be no " lag" and no "item limit" ... Since youre not on a server.

Interesting point! I had not considered that - but you're right. If some view it as a unique work of art...even something they can contribute to from a pre-set point, there probably IS a market for that.
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014

Interesting point! I had not considered that - but you're right. If some view it as a unique work of art...even something they can contribute to from a pre-set point, there probably IS a market for that.

Lol. I can envision different packages offered: Essentials(freemium items with no characters), Basic plus (freemium items with characters) and additional modules (all premium buildings, all premium buildings plus characters but not premium decorations, all premium buildings and all premium decorations but no characters, and an extravaganza version.). And, as you say they could choose to have a layout in place with basic buildings, but not designed, or a blank slate with everything in storage, etc.

Or not.
  • emymarek721
    616 posts Member
    edited December 2014

Point taken. If a player charged $250 for $250 worth of premium content then, sure, it would be worth it! (Goodness knows I've spent more than that, myself.)

However, out of curiosity, would you pay someone for the amount of time they spent on the game? The point we were trying to make was that one player suggested charging $250... $60 in premium buildings and $190 for the amount of time they spent playing in order to sell a leveled up game.

Now, if they were charging $250 for premium content (as long as it's actually $250 worth of content without jacking up the price), then sure! It would be worth it!

But personally, rather than paying the $190 for time spent playing the game, I'd rather spend the money on donuts and load up on my own premium content. (But that's me.) IMHO, purchasing premium items without playing doesn't make sense to me. Playing the game is all the fun! The premium items are the icing. :)
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    cdepast wrote:
    i dont think there's any value. whats the fun if all the quests have been completed?

Agreed. I really wouldn't want someone else's town, whether it was full premium or not, and I certainly would not pay for it. It's like sex.... if I apply myself....
    LMAO! I almost thought you were going to compare a game to sex! Thank god you didn't! :lol::lol::lol:

Although it could've been an interesting little read :twisted:
    "The **** of the future will be the anti-****."
  • 00-marco_rosas
    656 posts
    edited December 2014
    I think TSTO accounts aren't worth anything, even if you poured hundreds of dollars in. It's a question of supply and demand and the game just isn't that popular.
  • fuffazzoni
    627 posts
    edited December 2014
    If I were to do something illegal like buying an origin account for $250, I'd rather do something illegal for free and I'd hack a town for myself. Illegal for illegal, why should I give money to a random dude who didn't even develop the game?
  • pvrooden1024
    142 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Just wanted to say- love your avatar change! Yay rose!

I've never really liked Rose. I'm a Donna fan. But that avatar is kinda sweet.

And on topic: can't see why I would want to buy someone else's Springfield.
    The main fun of the game is to, yaknow, actually play it...
  • maxeerg
    1010 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    There's little downside to EA. It's like buying a video game and selling it to your friend.

The downside to EA is that if I buy some dude's Springfield for $200, that's $200 I could've given to EA. By and large, game developers and publishers don't like you selling used games to your friend.
  • philippama998
    739 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    by leagal terms you are not allowed to do it and you agreed to them before start playing.

On the other hand I see it impossible for EA to take the effort and track you down in whatever country or island you are sitting. Selling it in the US might be a different thing. However, if you are sitting somewhere in Tuvalu sell your game to your neighbor, I am sure EA wont take the effort and send their bloodhounds because of a 20$ deal you hit with your classmate or co-worker (if ever, I frankly think you wouldnt get any more than that, you can probably get a hacked version for this money so why pay more).

Note: I am not advertising selling here! Just trying to look at it from different perspective.
  • JimJ321
    4206 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Yeah, definitely a violation. Threads started here for that purpose are removed.

Strict, but fair. Like whoever that hot santa is.
  • barryriddl474
    4831 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    AJtheboss1 wrote:
    cdepast wrote:

LMAO! I almost thought you were going to compare a game to sex! Thank god you didn't! :lol::lol::lol:

I almost did, but I thought that may be a tad overboard :D

Something along the lines of "starts with a light touch.... excitement builds... the heat begins to rise from.... wait, that's just my tablet battery getting hot." :lol:
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    AJtheboss1 wrote:
    cdepast wrote:

I almost did, but I thought that may be a tad overboard :D

Something along the lines of "starts with a light touch.... excitement builds... the heat begins to rise from.... wait, that's just my tablet battery getting hot." :lol:

It was the sequence of sentences in your original post that caught my attention: you stated:
    1. I wouldn't pay for it.
    2. It's like sex.
    3. Never mind it's nothing like sex.

Made me envision you meeting a compliant woman and immediately reaching for your wallet. ;)
  • emaren
    73 posts
    edited December 2014
    My second town used to being to my ex.

She started it, spent money on some really cool stuff, then got bored and moved on to something else.

I took it over as my second / feeder town and have been actively plying it recently.

it is a real shame that you cannot transfer items between towns - there is some seriously cool stuff in my second town that I would love in my main (huge) town....
  • SUM1HATED
    242 posts
    edited December 2014
    Has anyone ever [legitimately] sold their Springfield for real money? I'm assuming by providing someone with their Origin account password and username in exchange for a paypal transfer or something.

Given how some (myself included) have spent a small fortune on their Springfield, my guess is that you could easily get a couple of hundred dollars for their town depending on how many premium items you have.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done or thought of doing this?

Unlikley you would make hundreds of dollars or pounds, as people are selling as much donut's as you will ever need on eBay for £5, even if you get banned 10x buying from ebay you'd still be better off than buying a boatload.
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    SUM1HATED wrote:

Unlikley you would make hundreds of dollars or pounds, as people are selling as much donut's as you will ever need on eBay for £5, even if you get banned 10x buying from ebay you'd still be better off than buying a boatload.

0hQmVDz.jpg

(Anyone have a good "In before the lock" gif? ) ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.