EA Forums - Banner

EA, why do you hate commas? 10000000 is really annoying to read.

Replies

• agentkhoff28
    73 posts
    edited December 2014
    I believe that in Europe,the comma in a string of numbers is what the Americas use as the decimal point. So in the US we write 8,000,000.00but in Europe they would write it as 8.000.000,00. So that may be the reason as well as the programing thing.
  • crsroyal
    108 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I believe that in Europe,the comma in a string of numbers is what the Americas use as the decimal point. So in the US we write 8,000,000.00but in Europe they would write it as 8.000.000,00. So that may be the reason as well as the programing thing.
    This. Having half the world complain about the wrong format probably made the difference. Maxx's suggestion with Spaces would solve it though. Or maybe they never thought the game would live long enough to see prices into the millions.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Deverz85 wrote:
    commachameleon_fullpic_artwork.jpg
    You comma and go, you comma and go...
  • pvrooden1024
    142 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    wadebear wrote:
    As a programmer (albeit an amateur one) I can tell you that getting commas to display in numbers can be a massive nuisance.

As a programmer (a professional one), I can tell you that any program language worth its salt has a subroutine for displaying numbers in any format you like, region dependent and tailored to taste and all.
    Programmatically, it's easy. If they don't display formatted numbers, it's a deliberate choice.

I agree that space is likely the reason.
    Sit'n Rotate's cost would no longer fit the panel, unless they reduce the font size, and not doing that is probably a manager decision. Managers like their numbers big and pwetty.

• tdmdksk389
    354 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I think that the European players should have to learn our monitary system after all I had to learn the metric system. :lol: j/k

All joking aside, I agree that there should be some way to tell at a glance what a item costs. I literally have to stop and count the zeros.

I Am going to donate some to EA to help out! If everyone donates maybe it will help our cause. :roll:

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • drumnman
    1475 posts Member
    edited December 2014

If they can localize the entire language of the game, then they can handle commas and decimal points in some numbers.
  • smohqy
    2107 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I consider reading prices to be a bonus mini game. :mrgreen:

Barry, I hope to someday be your Neighborino. I love your attitude.

You aren't a glass-half-empty kind of person. Nor are you a glass-half-full guy.

You're like me: a "How cool is this? I have a glass!" person. I admire that.
  • JoannaFlora
    92 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    As far as I am aware, commas are free. They helpfully set off groups of zeros so you can see at a glance the difference between 10,000 and 100,000. Why EA insists on listing the prices of aspirationals without commas is mystifying. It's not a big deal at all, but it's annoying and completely easy to fix. They can keep changing to size of buildings but they can't code a couple of commas?

I agree
  • Annathewicked
    4713 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Deverz85 wrote:

Hahahaha! This made my morning!
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • terend2013
    60 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Is it a Million? Is it a Billion? Is it really just $10.00 because they also forgot to include the ' . ' ? I just don't know.
  • edited December 2014
    wadebear wrote:
    As a programmer (albeit an amateur one) I can tell you that getting commas to display in numbers can be a massive nuisance.

As a programmer (a professional one), I can tell you that any program language worth its salt has a subroutine for displaying numbers in any format you like, region dependent and tailored to taste and all.
    Programmatically, it's easy. If they don't display formatted numbers, it's a deliberate choice.

I agree that space is likely the reason.
    Sit'n Rotate's cost would no longer fit the panel, unless they reduce the font size, and not doing that is probably a manager decision. Managers like their numbers big and pwetty.

This. Displaying commas (or any other number format) would be trivial if they wanted to do it.
  • OrdinarilyBob
    305 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    +1 vote for commas.

Commas are important.

Consider:

Let's go eat, grandma.

vs.

Let's go eat grandma.

:lol:
  • annettemarc
    7734 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    In my opinion, it can't be a space issue. The coding already allows the text to run into the text alongside. There's obviously no built-in space restriction. If they don't care about THAT, then I think they wouldn't care about going further off-the-track.

IMHO, only a very small percentage of TSTO players are at the point of having so much ingame cash that it runs over. (Our sample here in the forum is skewed -- we are a lot more likely to be hardcore TSTO players) It's not as if it's unreadable, btw, for those that do run over. Messy-looking? Yes. Unreadable? No.

:?
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • annettemarc
    7734 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    +1 vote for commas.

Commas are important.

Consider:

Let's go eat, grandma.

vs.

Let's go eat grandma.

LOL.
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • EvaMohlin
    541 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I think that the pictures of the building (or decoration or whatever) with the price are just that - pictures. (Jpeg, tiff, bmp, Png whatever)
    It has nothing to do with programming or formatting or whatever. (This is my guess. I don not work at EA. But it is logical).

So if they are going to put "." or "," they have to make a new picture, and I think the problem is that there is no space in that picture, as alerady mentioned.
    But it is really hard to read, I fully agree.
  • smohqy
    2107 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    terend2013 wrote:
    Is it a Million? Is it a Billion? Is it really just $10.00 because they also forgot to include the ' . ' ? I just don't know.

Whatever the case, let's just party like it's on sale for $19.99.
  • ZennGlenn
    1725 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Good stuff,
    And...

images-8_zps23422584.jpeg
    :twisted:
  • OrdinarilyBob
    305 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    ZennGlenn wrote:
    Good stuff,
    And...

That was both hilarious and gross.

Loved it!

• 4kidsandacatdog
    3082 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Deverz85 wrote:

Bahaha OK must be the dinner wine making me a bit thick. I did not get that until Neuro's post!
  • 4kidsandacatdog
    3082 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    terend2013 wrote:

I think it means decimal placement is at the buyer's discretion. ..therefore, for me it's $1.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!